Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times

Advertisements

No shame in letting Pillsbury do what it does best to give
you more time to focus on other dishes!!

I think the frozen ones are amazing and so easy.

I would practice the real deal during the year when the pressure is off.

I have learned the hard way not to tackle new recipes for
big important meals like Christmas dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Are you sure they want biscuits or is it any bread??
I was thinking rolls might be more portable.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
I have an easy biscuit recipe that you can try. I am not sure they would be good enough for Christmas dinner, but they are low fat and will be less hard when cold than the frozen or canned ones. You can try this early and decide if you like them.

2 cups self-rising flour--I use Southern Biscuit
1 cup milk
1/4 cup mayonnaise--low fat works, but no fat does not. I was out of mayonnaise the other day and used 1/4 cup Shedd calcium spread. You have to stir it up better for the spread.

Stir together and drop by tablespoon into a 9X13 size glass dish after you spray it with cooking spray or butter the bottom of the cooking dish. I find that they make about 12 biscuits and by cooking them in the dish they turn out in squares. I cook them in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. It is all right to brush them with a little margarine or butter so they will brown on top. I find they brown on the bottom better than on top probably because of the butter in the pan.

BTW those cheese garlic biscuits are cooked much the same way from a Martha White mix you can find in Dollar General. You might want to take both kinds in two different containers. They taste good cold too.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Pillsbury makes a line of NON frozen biscuits, called Perfect Portions. They come in a box of 8, in the dairy case, near the "GRANDS" location. Two varieties: ButterMilk and ButterTastin. The ButterTastin are better tasting.

When I cook them, I take a sharp knife and score a tic-tac-toe set of lines in the top, then smear soft margarine into the scored top. This not only adds great flavor, but it allows these biscuits to REALLY expand and be fluffy, instead of staying small hockey pucks. Try it sometime. Works GREAT. For EXTRA fun, leave one UN-scored and see the difference in size and flavor.

I like these Perfect Portion biscuits far better than the frozen Pillsbury type. http://www.Pillsbury.com/products/bi...s-Biscuits.htm

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,978 times
Aside from homemade, the best biscuits that I have ever eaten are from Sam's Club. They are not frozen or refrigerated. They come in a big tray/box of about 2 dozen. You just take them from the box and finish cooking them for about 10 minutes. They are delicious, and they look just like homemade.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:47 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Pillsbury makes a line of NON frozen biscuits, called Perfect Portions. They come in a box of 8, in the dairy case, near the "GRANDS" location. Two varieties: ButterMilk and ButterTastin. The ButterTastin are better tasting.

When I cook them, I take a sharp knife and score a tic-tac-toe set of lines in the top, then smear soft margarine into the scored top. This not only adds great flavor, but it allows these biscuits to REALLY expand and be fluffy, instead of staying small hockey pucks. Try it sometime. Works GREAT. For EXTRA fun, leave one UN-scored and see the difference in size and flavor.

I like these Perfect Portion biscuits far better than the frozen Pillsbury type. Perfect Portions® Biscuits from Pillsbury.com
I get those particular ones every so often, but they will work for any special occasion. Pillsbury makes great things.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,921 times
We like the frozen that I get at WalMart, MaryB's. They taste just like my aunt's homemade ones. WalMart is the only place I have ever been able to find them.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
You lucked out with your assignment. What could be easier or cheaper than biscuits? Use the Bisquick, stir some love in them instead of the God knows what they put in the dairycase ones. You can make them the day before, cool completely and store in a baggie. Put some melted butter on top and warm them in the oven just before you serve them.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,862 times
I dont think it is appropriate to bring previously frozen or tube breads to a dinner.

If a person is brining something to a potluck, bring what you do well and what you can put some love into - not something from a popping tube that you then stick in the oven

Here is an easy, simple and quick recipe.

From the cookbook "How It All Vegan!" by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer

"Biscuits"
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup sour soy milk (soy milk + 1 tsp vinegar) (note to non-vegans, you can do this with regular milk too, or use buttermilk.)
I add in some "olive oil dipping spices"
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 450ºF. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the oil, sour milk, "spices" and pepper and mix together gently until "just mixed." Spoon into lightly oiled muffin tins. Bake for 12-18 minutes. Makes about 6 biscuits.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I dont think it is appropriate to bring previously frozen or tube breads to a dinner.

If a person is brining something to a potluck, bring what you do well and what you can put some love into - not something from a popping tube that you then stick in the oven
Thank you. I thought I was left all alone out here with people buying their toxic chemical filled frozen or boxed biscuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink