Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 AM

207 posts, read 704,656 times

Advertisements

Or is it just tacky to send a list of demands before you guest have even had a chance to ask what they can bring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Sorry, yes. If you can't afford to host a party, don't have one. Informal, casual potlucks are okay, but not for formal parties.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
If your invite states pot-luck I see no problem.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I think it is ok to ask people to bring a dish at the time of the invitation.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM

849 posts, read 1,952,172 times
I'd ask family members or best friends, but otherwise not unless they ask.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Depends on what the practice is in your social group, and what kind of "formal dinner party" it is.

Also, as said above, what the invitation said. If it is asked at the time of the invitation, that's another matter.

More details, please?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
First of all - semantics. Do you even know what a "formal" party is? B/c there is no way on this green earth someone would have a FORMAL sit down dinner, w/ everyone in tuxes and cocktail dresses, and w/ a hired bartender and pianist and waiters . . . and ask you to bring a thing.

However, the expected etiquette would be for the guests to show up w/ a hostess gift, i.e. nice bottle of wine or some gift for their home.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
However, the expected etiquette would be for the guests to show up w/ a hostess gift, i.e. nice bottle of wine or some gift for their home.
True, but you also don't expect the host to necessarily open the bottle at that time. Like you said, it's a thank-you gift. It's not expected that guests will supply the alcohol (or desserts or whatever) for a nice party. I don't think you meant it that way ... just clarifying in case anyone is confused.

It's nice when people offer to bring something when we have them over for dinner, but I don't expect them to and I usually politely decline. I like cooking for people and knowing what's going to be on my table.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM

207 posts, read 704,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Sorry, yes. If you can't afford to host a party, don't have one. Informal, casual potlucks are okay, but not for formal parties.

Thanks, I just wanted peace of mind that my thought on this was correct. I believe that you should not ask or require your guest to bring food to a dinner unless it is a potluck. However, I do believe in always asking the host what can I bring, at which point the host usually will say this or that. I personally think it is just tacky to invite people to dinner and then tell them to bring ...... Let them ask first

Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Thanks, I just wanted peace of mind that my thought on this was correct. I believe that you should not ask or require your guest to bring food to a dinner unless it is a potluck. However, I do believe in always asking the host what can I bring, at which point the host usually will say this or that. I personally think it is just tacky to invite people to dinner and then tell them to bring ...... Let them ask first
Well, it was clear that you were looking for a specific answer when you asked the question, but there were several different responses here.

Were you asked on the invitation (or with it) to bring something? In other words, was it made clear that it was a potluck, albeit perhaps a "dress up" potluck, initially?

Is it going to be as described above, in the first paragraph of the post that you responded to, full tilt formal? In that case, I can't imagine the host(ess) asking the guests to bring a thing.

Are dinner parties of any kind common in your crowd? If so, whatever's normal would seem to be what would be the appropriate behavior.

Way too little information, all of it from one side, to give a valid answer to this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink