Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,820 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (no kids) have come to the shocking realization that we spend $800 per month on food. This includes groceries and eating out. I have been working on getting this down, but the best I can seem to do is to spend $200 per week on groceries, with no eating out. I can't seem to lower our grocery bill more than that. Granted, I don't clip coupons but I do have grocery store discount cards which do add up to some savings.

Is spending $800 per month on groceries for two completely nuts?

I don't buy alcohol and I don't buy fancy cheeses or other really expensive items. I don't buy much frozen stuff either. I feel like I get the basics overall with some splurges here and there (like deli counter items). I'd say 40% of our grocery items are produce--which we tend to eat all of with little to no waste. Lots of salad, fruit, entrees with potatoes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
My husband and I (no kids) have come to the shocking realization that we spend $800 per month on food. This includes groceries and eating out. I have been working on getting this down, but the best I can seem to do is to spend $200 per week on groceries, with no eating out. I can't seem to lower our grocery bill more than that. Granted, I don't clip coupons but I do have grocery store discount cards which do add up to some savings.

Is spending $800 per month on groceries for two completely nuts?

I don't buy alcohol and I don't buy fancy cheeses or other really expensive items. I don't buy much frozen stuff either. I feel like I get the basics overall with some splurges here and there (like deli counter items). I'd say 40% of our grocery items are produce--which we tend to eat all of with little to no waste. Lots of salad, fruit, entrees with potatoes, etc.
I was in your *exact* situation two years ago - we don't eat out, and our bill was $800 a month.

I ended up going to a site that helped track when certain things were on sale at the supermarket (it was a pay-for site, but not expensive, and it did save me more than it cost). Turns out I am horrible with coupons, but I did learn to buy "in bulk" when certain things were on sale, and this helped out a LOT.

For instance - chicken breast. Normally $4.99/lb where I am. I do not buy them until I see them on sale for $1.99/lb, and then I buy eight lbs worth, bring them home and freeze them in dinner sized portions, and unfreeze when needed. When I get low, I start looking for sales again. This can work with all meat - and, cereal, if you have the room to store it. I've gotten to the point where my pantry is only filled with things I bought when it was on sale - my bill is now down to $400/month, and I do not use coupons.

HOWEVER, I did have to cut certain other things (without these, I got down to $600/month). Like you, I liked fresh vegetables. Aside from certain things (like onions, bell peppers, potatoes) - I buy frozen, not in a sauce, just plain frozen. It's amazing how much stuff like broccoli and cauliflower cost if you buy fresh! If it is destined to be a side dish, I buy it frozen, season it up, cook it in a little water in a pot, and it comes out pretty good - plus, it is super cheap, and doesn't go bad - meaning, it will get used instead of chucked in case you forget to use it, or don't need it all. Also... I eat less cold cuts. Sorry, but they are damn pricey. My husband switched from cold cuts at lunch to PB&J... not only did we save a TON of money, but he dropped a lot of weight, LOL. Yay for hypoglycemic food!

So, this is what worked for me. If you would like the name of the site, let me know in a DM - its worth it to help you learn how to shop effectively.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,665 times
I would like to know the name?

There are three of us in our home and we are right there with you! Horrible!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
I couldn't say if 800 is too high, that would depend on the cost of living where you live. Selective buying and buying in bulk are always good ways to cut costs. There are also a lot of helpful topics in the Frugal Living forum

Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 PM

122 posts, read 389,451 times
Yep, you're doing something wrong. The two of you are eating an average of about $26/day but I don't know if you cook three meals a day or one. Just a hunch but I'd say the two of you are not very thrifty or eat mighty high on the hog. Not saying that's a bad thing but if you're looking to cut costs, $26 a day can only mean expensive food for two people.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
We are also a family of two and we currently spend ~$350-600 per month. That includes wine and sometimes "fancy cheese". When the budget reaches that higher number it's usually because I was out of some of the higher-priced staples ( good olive or walnut oil, organic brown rice, pine nuts, etc).

You mentioned that you spend ~40% on fresh fruits and veggies, which is great. I don't consider cheaper, but less healthy, foods to be a bargain in the long-term. I probably wouldn't change anything there, except to add make sure you buy fruits and veggies that are in season and in their whole form. If you are buying items that are pre-washed/pre-sliced/packaged you are usually paying too much. You also usually pay a premium for things that are out of season and the quality suffers.

So what is happening with the other 60%?
I would have to ask what you consider "the basics".
Overly packaged, overly processed convenience foods tend to give you the least bang for your buck.
Cold cereal, pasta sauce and salad dressings are on my "hit list", for example. Oatmeal and fruit, canned crushed tomatoes and a pantry full of good quality nut/olive oils are better replacements nutritionally, as well as dollar-wise.

When you must have a prepackaged/processed item consider trying the "store brand". Often these save money above and beyond coupons clipped for national brands. Plus you don't have to remember to use the @#$! coupons.

When I find staples such as nuts or butter on sale, I buy in quantity and freeze.

Lastly, we probably eat very well on a little bit less as vegetarians. I'm not here to covert anyone, buuuut, you might consider thinking of meat as a "side dish" (smaller portions) and focusing on the veggies and whole grain rice/pasta instead. Especially true if you are fond of the pricer cuts of meat.

Oh, one more tip, if you have the time, check out the "ethnic groceries" in your area. Spices, for instance, tend to be much much less expensive than at the average national grocery store chain. I try to go 3-4 times per year to stock up on spices, condiments, and rice.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,582 times
Wow - We go to the grocery store, spend about 100 bucks and it lasts us a week and a half or so, for two of us.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
You must be buying much better food than I do!!!

If you can afford it.....enjoy it! However, if you are looking for waves to shave your budget, this would be an easy area to begin in.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
That is real expensive. Do you buy lots of meat, that adds up, and also do you do impluse buying?
What you should try to do, is b4 you even enter the store, check out what you have. Then decide
for the week, what you do think you will eat, and put a limit on the week of shopping. Try a budget of
125.00 and only have 100.00, place the added 25.00 into a jar, and hide it. Also donot go to the store at all during the week! You would be able to save even with the extra 25.00 per week lots! Be on a mission, and look for items as chicken, fish, and specials, and buy these! As where I amoften our stores have buy one get one free, for english muffins etc., so yes, I do this and save, the extra. Summer should make it somewhat easier. I dislike to food shop, and am bad, but, I really watch the cost now. You could get it down to 500.00 a month, and save plenty! The stores here often give buy one, get one free. I was at the store, and Thomas English muffins, so I got then. I did put then inot freezer, and then mayo, was the same deal, and did that.
I never looked at price, and at the check-out what a wake-up!I dothat now. Even if it is a buy one, and a free, if I only need one, I donate to the food
pantry my extra one. almost 4.00 for a box of cereal ! I also have lots of food vendors around here, that saves me also. I even saw CVS, which I never was it, but down the road, and had real good special, so I did go!

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-07-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,138 times
Holy Moly, I dont spend that much on a family of 4-5 and we eat good.
Guess I depends on where you live, where you shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink