U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
 
3,367 posts, read 10,414,150 times
Reputation: 4202

Advertisements

Hi all

I'm planning a road trip with the family in February/March '09, starting in Austin TX and going to New York. Thinking along foodie lines, I'd like to take in some good eats along the way!

Our route isn't decided yet...waiting for the ideas first!

Any suggestions for places to see and eat at, great roadside eateries, good local specialities?

Or any links to good websites or books featuring food and travel?

thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,816 posts, read 40,295,064 times
Reputation: 24386
Head due east from Texas and stop by New Orleans. Throw a rock and eat at the first place it hits. If you can eat at Court of Two Sisters, all the better. Also, try to have breakfast at Mom's in N.O.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
12,054 posts, read 21,377,851 times
Reputation: 31834
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Head due east from Texas and stop by New Orleans. Throw a rock and eat at the first place it hits. If you can eat at Court of Two Sisters, all the better. Also, try to have breakfast at Mom's in N.O.
I agree. While it has been a few years since I have been to NO, a good place for dinner was Middendorf's, which is about 20 miles outside of NO, in Akers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
 
15,882 posts, read 29,251,769 times
Reputation: 19829
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Hi all

I'm planning a road trip with the family in February/March '09, starting in Austin TX and going to New York. Thinking along foodie lines, I'd like to take in some good eats along the way!

Our route isn't decided yet...waiting for the ideas first!

Any suggestions for places to see and eat at, great roadside eateries, good local specialities?

Or any links to good websites or books featuring food and travel?

thanks!
When you plan your route go to SouthernLiving.com - The Best of Southern life and check out their food and travel section. Enjoy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
 
3,367 posts, read 10,414,150 times
Reputation: 4202
Thanks all, will be checking out all your suggestions right away!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,777 posts, read 35,911,592 times
Reputation: 17381
You must try Lambert's. WARNING: Bring a healthy appetite for comfort food.

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Floribama
17,684 posts, read 35,734,015 times
Reputation: 16948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You must try Lambert's. WARNING: Bring a healthy appetite for comfort food.

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls
There's a Lamberts just an hour from me. It is good, but always packed!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM
 
5,683 posts, read 9,570,414 times
Reputation: 43773
If your family is up for a detour a ways off the direct route and you come through South-Central Wisconsin, there are a number in the Madison area I could suggest. We're greatly blessed with some exceptionally good restaurants here, including but not limited to:

Monty's Blue Plate Diner on Atwood Avenue

Bunky's Restaurant, also on Atwood

Skip Zach's Avenue Bar & Grill on East Washington

Paisan's Italian Restaurant on Wilson downtown

The Great Dane Pub on Doty downtown

Rossario's out on Monona Drive

You could easily spend a month here and not eat at the same place twice - a delightful problem to have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
 
3,367 posts, read 10,414,150 times
Reputation: 4202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You must try Lambert's. WARNING: Bring a healthy appetite for comfort food.

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls
I remember seeing this place on TV - the portions were gigantic! Worth going for the fun I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
If your family is up for a detour a ways off the direct route and you come through South-Central Wisconsin, there are a number in the Madison area I could suggest. We're greatly blessed with some exceptionally good restaurants here, including but not limited to:

Monty's Blue Plate Diner on Atwood Avenue

Bunky's Restaurant, also on Atwood

Skip Zach's Avenue Bar & Grill on East Washington

Paisan's Italian Restaurant on Wilson downtown

The Great Dane Pub on Doty downtown

Rossario's out on Monona Drive

You could easily spend a month here and not eat at the same place twice - a delightful problem to have!
All very tempting, I may have to extend the trip
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Floribama
17,684 posts, read 35,734,015 times
Reputation: 16948
If you do come through the Mobile area and you wan't seafood you should stop at The Original Oyster House, it's right off of I-10 near the USS Alabama battleship. Some of the best seafood around, and the shrimp po-boy can't be beat.

Welcome to the Original Oyster House
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top