Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,822,473 times

Advertisements

As said in several other threads, I don't preach to anyone what to eat but I don't want people questioning me why I don't eat meat. I understand that people are curious but if I go to a dinner party or out with a group it's made such a big deal out of. Who cares? Eat what you want and I'll eat what I want. The only time I comment is if someone wears a fur coat or buys beauty products that test on animals. I don't think animals should be tortured for vanity reasons. It's not neccesary, it's cruel and any person that doesn't take the time to educate themself is just lazy and mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM

262 posts, read 1,235,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I have the same problem with the shoes - but I will NOT buy animal skins!!
There ARE actually ALOT if vegan shoes out there that you can order online - at Zappos they even pay for return postage (they do have a section for vegetarian shoes ) but I have orthotics, and my feet are just not right at the moment, so it's hard. But Pangea, Vegan Essentials, Moo Shoes, Vegan Unlimited, Zappos - google these and you will see the selection! Even on Ebay!
When you believe in something strongly enough, nothing can stop you!!!
Thank you. I will check that out.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM

262 posts, read 1,235,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
As said in several other threads, I don't preach to anyone what to eat but I don't want people questioning me why I don't eat meat. I understand that people are curious but if I go to a dinner party or out with a group it's made such a big deal out of. Who cares? Eat what you want and I'll eat what I want. The only time I comment is if someone wears a fur coat or buys beauty products that test on animals. I don't think animals should be tortured for vanity reasons. It's not neccesary, it's cruel and any person that doesn't take the time to educate themself is just lazy and mean.
I completely agree. Some people are just curious and really want to know about a vegetarian diet but then there are the people who look at you like you have three heads and ask "How can you not eat meat?". That bothers me.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 27,079 times
Rapture, you are so right.... people are notg educated as to what they eat.

We always find it funny when we ask if there is anything suitable for vegetarians on a menu and get the response of "oh yes, we have fish". What, they work in the food industry and don't know that a fish isn't really on a vegetarians list of things they eat. It is even funniere when they proceed to say, "well it isn't an animal". lol We just say to them that if it has a face then it is off the menu for veggies.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,822,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki_304 View Post
Rapture, you are so right.... people are not educated as to what they eat.

We always find it funny when we ask if there is anything suitable for vegetarians on a menu and get the response of "oh yes, we have fish". What, they work in the food industry and don't know that a fish isn't really on a vegetarians list of things they eat. It is even funniere when they proceed to say, "well it isn't an animal". lol We just say to them that if it has a face then it is off the menu for veggies.
No, the one that gets me is: "we have chicken that's not meat it's poultry".

Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,768,713 times
I agree, it's hard to eat at restaurants when people don't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals. Period. But the bad part is there are some people that claim to be vegetarians and go on to eat fish and chicken. So it ends up confusing the public. They help cause the confusion!!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,449,651 times
good point red,
and yes, if someone wants to be a vegetarian. then it should be respected, just as if someone wants to eat a thick rib eye, have a pork chop or have some delicious venison, that also, should be respected/

Old 03-11-2007, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 27,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I agree, it's hard to eat at restaurants when people don't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals. Period. But the bad part is there are some people that claim to be vegetarians and go on to eat fish and chicken. So it ends up confusing the public. They help cause the confusion!!
That is what gets my goat too. I used to work with a woman who said she was a vegetarian but when i saw her eating chicken i was like.....I thought you were a veg. It appears that she just didn't eat red meat because she thought it was unhealthy and not really a veg but told everyone she was. Huh!

I also know someone who says that they are vegan but if she really fancies something then she would eat it. Truth is, this person is lactose intolerant but eats honey and other things that a vegan wouldn't. And her daughter is a veggie too where they say she can't have anything to do with animals such as colourings and rennet. But they just find it so hard to tell her no that they will let her eat sweets with geletine and cochineal in.

Like i said, i am not a vegetarian myself but my husband and 2 sons are. I eat meat about 5 time max a year as i am not a lover of it, but i am not a veggie and would never say that i was unless i truly was.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:38 AM

25 posts, read 84,001 times
Thumbs up hello everybody

i also went through a confusive state of wether to be vegan or not,i used to be a vegatarian,but it did not last long,my hair started fallen out.i did my own experiment with my brother(he is a doctor),after i started eating meat agian,i noticed my hair was much healthier and more strong.we had ruled out any other deseases like alopicia,excetra.hair is a dead protien,so therefore,we need to give it vitimans and live protiens that can be broken down in our digestive tract and dispersed to the hair folicle.this just my opinion,i do agree the a veg.diet is good.i don't ever eat pork,or red meats.i will occasionlly eat ckicken and i love fish.but mostly,i have been getting my protien from dark red kidney beans,or black beans.also,a vitamin fortified with biotin and omega fatty 3 acids will help tramendously.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:07 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,388,794 times
I've been a vegetarian for approximately 25 years now. Growning up I never liked the taste of meat, so giving it up alltogether was no problem. I do find it hard sometimes, but I cook meat for my family since it is my choice only not to eat it.
A lot of people ask me why I became a vegetarian. Many people think I'm riding some kind of band waggon until they find out how long I haven't eaten meat.
I do not wear fur and really do not like the idea and reality of animals being killed for their coats. I also try and stay away from products that are tested on animals especially toiletries and make-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink