Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Okay, many of us seem to have an opinion about this, and new ones keep cropping (pun intended) up, but I do not want to further sully the Any Other Veggies Out There thread.
This thread may well end up in the Political forum but I thought I'd try it out here first.
I dislike extremes of any sort and firmly believe that moderation and middle ground works best for me. I am a proud centrist.
:: pats self on back ::
I do eat the occasional meat, and the men in my family unapologetically eat more. I gave up veal a long, long time ago. Never was big on pork but gave that up too.
I am more of a seafood person, and it's quite fresh and inexpensive where we presently live. And I love vegetables, I eat some sort of fresh salad nightly. I try to purchase cruelty-free dairy/eggs, obviously a state's factory farming laws might effect how "free range" a chicken really is.
I deplore trophy hunting as well as needless animal testing. Animal activists have done much to help research animals. However, I have no illusions about the reality of the situation. Diabetics, epileptics, cardiac patients and many, many others have been helped by animal testing. People who take pain pills or penicillin benefit from previous animal testing--a lot of the stuff everyone uses, plays with or wears has involved, at *some* point, animal testing (not to mention oppressed laborers in other countries--but that's another thread).
Some of the ingredients used by a company such as The Body Shop, which touts itself as against animal testing, were indeed animal-tested previously. These days, according to their website, Proctor and Gamble has ended all testing involving animals for their finished products, and uses research animals (as required by law) only when there is absolutely no alternative.
As Elfyum says, obviously we have to live in this world.
Everyone will make their own choices in the food chain; I do my research and decide what I can afford in terms of both finances and ethics.
How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 12:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Well this went over like a lead balloon.
Or perhaps I should say hot potato.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
I have some thoughts on this (q'elle surprise ) but it will probably be late tonight or early tomorrow before I get to putting those thoughts on keyboard.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
I've noticed, that when it comes to making changes in our lives, there are two kinds of people: divers and waders. Waders have to test the water, dip a big toe in, often pause at about the waist and then submerge. Divers...just dive right in.

Some people (like my father... ) can read a book or watch a documentary and "go vegan" in a matter of days. They purge their closets of all wool, silk and leather and toss the honey, marshmallows, and Worcestershire. I say great...for them. Dive right in!

I'm more of a wader I suppose. I described my "conversion" to vegetarianism in the other thread. Basically, I started off not cooking meat out of laziness, then gave it up completely out of health concerns. I continued to eat some seafood while living on the coast, but when I moved inland I gave that up too (mainly, to be honest, because of taste--the quality and freshness just wasn't there).

Along the way, as I aged, raised my daughter, traveled a bit, I began to question more things about life in general. At that time I really started to think about my impact on the health of the planet. I made the principal of "doing no harm" and leaving the smallest footprint upon the earth pretty much my guiding tenet in life.

Having said that...I also try not to be too dogmatic. When people express an interest in vegetarianism, I want to gently guide and encourage them, not scare them away.

I feel, that even if someone just gives up meat one or two days per week....that's a start! People who give up "everything but fish" may not be true "vegetarians", but even that small choice can make a huge impact on the factory-farm industry and the health of the planet.

I also try to see the Big Picture. I'm not going to waste time wringing my hands over whether or not some people choose to occasionally let a piece of flesh cross their lips . I think our impact over the course of our lives is made up of a hundred bazillion little choices we make: walking vs. driving, "used" vs. new, "canvas" instead of paper or plastic, recycling vs. tossing, "local" vs. trucked-in. Whenever I see people making choices that are good for 1) the planet 2) humans 3) themselves... I'm encouraged.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Default I'm a wader

Great post Plaid Mom. Many years ago I took up running initially to lose weight. I started out slow increasing my distance very gradually week by week. Over the long term I'm still running while many that started out trying to run 5 miles quit after a couple months.

My friend and I had a discussion about ethics relating to a vegetarian lifestyle. She doesn't eat any animal flesh, but does wear leather shoes as do I. Her contention was that the animal was already dead so it was okay. To me, that's a case of what comes first, the chicken or the egg. I've given up leather purses which I dearly loved and now carry microfiber - a small step.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Great post Plaid Mom. Many years ago I took up running initially to lose weight. I started out slow increasing my distance very gradually week by week. Over the long term I'm still running while many that started out trying to run 5 miles quit after a couple months.

My friend and I had a discussion about ethics relating to a vegetarian lifestyle. She doesn't eat any animal flesh, but does wear leather shoes as do I. Her contention was that the animal was already dead so it was okay. To me, that's a case of what comes first, the chicken or the egg. I've given up leather purses which I dearly loved and now carry microfiber - a small step.
It was so hard for me to give up the leather and suede...I love the way it looks I must admit. I confess I do have some leather shoes. My poor excuse is that there are not very many comfortable and affordable alternatives out there. I have tried and I will keep searching.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
I have the same problem with the shoes - but I will NOT buy animal skins!!
There ARE actually ALOT if vegan shoes out there that you can order online - at Zappos they even pay for return postage (they do have a section for vegetarian shoes ) but I have orthotics, and my feet are just not right at the moment, so it's hard. But Pangea, Vegan Essentials, Moo Shoes, Vegan Unlimited, Zappos - google these and you will see the selection! Even on Ebay!
When you believe in something strongly enough, nothing can stop you!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
I've been a vegetarian for over 11 years now and will never again eat meat. I find it disgusting to kill and eat animals. However, I don't hold it against meat eaters that they eat meat. I just think most of them are not well informed for the most part. Some are informed and don't care, but most meat eaters could NEVER kill and skin the animal themselves.

Here's a great video about choosing vegetarianism, check it out:
link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PuNdIFpHXk

Just copy and paste it into your browser...

Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 27,041 times
My husband and our 2 sons are vegetarians and my hubby has been for 12 years.

He doesn't have any additives that are derived from animals as a by-product.

At the moment here in the UK they are showing programmes on tv from start to finish of each animals life from field to plate. So basically, the audience saw the animals and then watched them being humanly slaughter and they watched the whole process at the abattoir and then was given some of that cooked animal to see if they would still eat it. I was surprised at how many ate it, i really think that all of them still ate the beef or that cow they saw earlier.

Next week it is lambs.

As for my sons, they are healthy and have a very good diet, but yet people always think we are wrong to bring them up as veggies. lol

They will have a choice when they are older just like we were naturally fed meat, they aren't.

I don't eat meat at home as i am not a meat lover anyweays....but if we go out (rarely) then i may choose to eat meat.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 AM

10 posts, read 27,041 times
Sorry about all the spellings in previous post as my 14 month old son hit the keys. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink