Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

They weren't that bad..
Does not that bad = good? Thanksgivukkah will be at our house and we're expecting a lot of people. It would be great if I didn't have to cook latkes with all the other dishes I'll be making, but if they're not very good, I'd rather make my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I used to like them as a child. But now I usually find them to be too oily for me.
You can bake them in a 450 deg. F oven, 15 minutes on each side, instead of frying them. (Put them on parchment paper or spray the pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.) I've done that before for healthier latkes, when it's just us eating them. Obviously it's not the same, but still very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
Well,,,they are a bit too oniony
For my family, but I like them.
Buy a box. See what u think.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Does not that bad = good? Thanksgivukkah will be at our house and we're expecting a lot of people. It would be great if I didn't have to cook latkes with all the other dishes I'll be making, but if they're not very good, I'd rather make my own.

You can bake them in a 450 deg. F oven, 15 minutes on each side, instead of frying them. (Put them on parchment paper or spray the pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.) I've done that before for healthier latkes, when it's just us eating them. Obviously it's not the same, but still very good.
I make a huge batch ahead of time and freeze 'em. If you cook 'em almost all the way then lay 'em on a sheet pan then freeze they won't stick together. I zap 'em for about 30 seconds to thaw and either reheat in a pan or just put in the oven.
Great to be able to have home made goodness whenever we want!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Well,,,they are a bit too oniony
For my family, but I like them.
Buy a box. See what u think.
I just may have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I make a huge batch ahead of time and freeze 'em. If you cook 'em almost all the way then lay 'em on a sheet pan then freeze they won't stick together. I zap 'em for about 30 seconds to thaw and either reheat in a pan or just put in the oven.
Great to be able to have home made goodness whenever we want!
They don't oxidize and turn too dark or do you do something with them to prevent that? I read somewhere you could add a touch of ascorbic acid to it, but I never tried that.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
My grandma who was Jewish made these for my dad who is not so never had them before she would make them. I grew up in area with a lot of Jewish delis that you can get these and other similar foods.
OP if you have a Jewish deli by your home you may really like them
Chey Dee you may be able to pick them up at a local restaurant made but not cooked and then you could cook them at home?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:39 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
We love them,I know them as ''Kartoffelpuffer'' in German. The recipe we use is pretty much the same

2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 tbsp grated onion
3 beaten eggs
2 tbps flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (peanut oil) or vegetable for frying

We serve with them apple sauce and cinnamon sugar,or any compote ,or sour creme with spring onions and chive. It is a perfect meatless Friday meal and a stable since my childhood. Just recently taught it to my children

Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
My grandma who was Jewish made these for my dad who is not so never had them before she would make them. I grew up in area with a lot of Jewish delis that you can get these and other similar foods.
OP if you have a Jewish deli by your home you may really like them
Chey Dee you may be able to pick them up at a local restaurant made but not cooked and then you could cook them at home?
You don't have to be Jewish. My mom made them all the time. Many folks from Eastern Europe eat potato pancakes.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You don't have to be Jewish. My mom made them all the time. Many folks from Eastern Europe eat potato pancakes.

I understand that people who are not Jewish make these but often they taste different. For example if you get rye bread from a Jewish deli it has a different consistency and texture then rye bread from a bakery. I have not compared potato pancakes cause I dislike them so this may be different.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 AM

136 posts, read 381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
They don't oxidize and turn too dark or do you do something with them to prevent that? I read somewhere you could add a touch of ascorbic acid to it, but I never tried that.

If you soak your peeled potatoes overnight in the 'fridge, you wont get the quick oxidation.
They're not has "gummy" because the starch has been drawn out.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 AM

136 posts, read 381,919 times
I make them for a bed on Eggs Benidict instead of an English muffin.
AMAZING!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink