Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

Posting this to Food & Drink BC it is related.

I thought I had removed all of the cookie containers from the oven before turning it on to preheat, but missed one in the very back. It was one of those Glad-type plastic containers and I didn't even realize it until I opened the oven minutes later ready to put in my casserole.

The smell was horrible and it had melted into a puddle on the bottom of the oven. I used a spatula to scrap off as much of the hot goo as possible, but it is still creating a terrible smell, making the oven unusable. Over the weekend I tried to burn it of by turning the oven on for half an hour and then opening the oven door with all windows open to air the house out, but I can't get rid of the smell.

I am concerned that it isn't healthy to use the oven at this point. Can anyone help/ideas on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
If it makes you feel any better, people do that all the time! Leave the oven on low for an hour or so and then clean off again with Brillo. The smell should dissipate soon. Did you clean off the racks too? Unless the container that melted was on the floor of the oven, some of the goop probably dripped on the rack(s) so make sure those are cleaned off too. Now don't go doing that again!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
I haven't done that in my oven but in my dishwasher. A plastic lid fell on the element in the bottom and one of my genius sons decided to run the heat dry cycle, (I only ever use air dry). Ick the smell was horrendous. I thought I burnt the house down.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
I put the oven on low and then used the spatula again to scrap off as much as I could. Will have to get some Brillo.

And yes, movingtohouston, I've had the dishwasher melt downs, too. Plastic knives and forks, mainly.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Easy off....It kills plastic.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
This just happened to me in a small microwave. My mother in law put all the cookies and little plastic baggie gifts from christmas in the microwave because we have a cat who likes to get into everything. I went to heat something up in the microwave so I took all the things in there out. There were like 3 packages. Well I missed one in the back. I put my gladware in and heated up my food. My wife is at the kitchen table and I am at the sink cleaning some dishes and all of a sudden she is like, "Oh my God, the microwave is on fire." I turn and open the door and the plastic from the wrapped cookies had ignited and then set the gladware lid on fire and the container was beginning to melt. This happened all in less than a minute. The smell...TERRIBLE! I had to clean the microwave out and open the doors and windows. (on a day when it was like 10 degrees). I caught it in time so no real plastic melted inside on the microwave but man the smell was unreal. I couldn't beleive how it went up in flames in seconds. It has to be toxic. Thank goodness I got rid of the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink