Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
My dear MIL taught me a great trick that not only makes the color of the soup beautiful but adds a certain flavor that makes it a wonderful, special taste---a couple of tablespoons of Gebhardt Chili Powder.
Hey, that's my secret!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Wow - I never knew beans went bad!! I plan to clean out the cupboards soon and I will throw them all away. Awesome advice!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I think you need to cook them longer.

I've never heard of "old" beans. And you can put that ham bone in earlier. The fat softens them up.

Cook them until they are soft! Do a taste taste! If you still have them, put them back on the stove and cook them some more!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post

I've never heard of "old" beans.
Neither had I, until some years ago when I tried to cook 3 pounds of pintos that I'd bought a year or so prior to cracking the bag open. I tried everything in my arsenal to get those things to absorb water... soaking overnight, then bringing them to a boil and letting them sit, then putting them on a slow rolling boil for 4 hours, then finally saying "what the hell" and adding them to the slow cooking chili and hoping for a miracle. Those things never softened up. No miracles for me that time.

So I did some research and asked some professionals what was up, and that was the answer I received every time: Old beans.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Neither had I, until some years ago when I tried to cook 3 pounds of pintos that I'd bought a year or so prior to cracking the bag open. I tried everything in my arsenal to get those things to absorb water... soaking overnight, then bringing them to a boil and letting them sit, then putting them on a slow rolling boil for 4 hours, then finally saying "what the hell" and adding them to the slow cooking chili and hoping for a miracle. Those things never softened up. No miracles for me that time.

So I did some research and asked some professionals what was up, and that was the answer I received every time: Old beans.
Interesting. What do we tell the Survival Folks who are stocking up on hundreds of pounds of beans?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Interesting. What do we tell the Survival Folks who are stocking up on hundreds of pounds of beans?
If 'kingdom come' does happen, I'm sure tough beans will be the least of their concerns.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
this is very tough stuff. i have never hit it right.
thanks for such a good post.
simple things can be very difficult to do.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM

The smart ones are buying their beans and grains packed in a nitrogen filled environment.

As far as the others, tell 'em "Enjoy your hard beans, bub."

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutternize View Post
I have tried several times to make bean soup, from dried beans. Usually a pre-mixed bag, with different beans and spices added.

I soak them overnight before I cook them.
I cook them with the top off, in a large pot on the stovetop.
Do NOT presoak them and cook them low and slow in a crock pot.

The key to great bean soup is to use COUNTRY ham.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
I keep all of my dried beans in Food Saver air tight bags in the freezer, soak them overnight in chicken broth & I don't use salt. I found using chicken broth and 1 packet of Sazon ham seasoning & the ham bone is all the salt that is needed. I add chopped onion, 1 minced garlic clove, carrots, celery & bay leaf. My soups are delicious with lots of flavor using the chicken broth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink