Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times

Advertisements

I have bought it when cash was tight and had no complaints for the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 PM

124 posts, read 470,323 times
There's also another organization called SHARE that uses the same model. However they're not affiliated with a ministry, though many pick up locations are at churches there are also pick ups at community centers, health centers, schools, etc.

SHAREs thing is that they request that in exchange for the discounted food that you give back to your community in the from of volunteerism. However it's not a requirement and they[SIZE=2] consider "volunteering to be anything from working at the host site or warehouse, to sharing a meal with a neighbor or friend. Honestly, anything you do to help anyone not in your immediate family for free is volunteering. Most of us do not realize that we already doing this in our daily lives.[/SIZE]"

I think SHARE boxes vary by location as well. Each local branch determines what sort of items go into the boxes and what types of boxes are offered, so YMMV.

The don't have a central website so you'll have to search for your local organization. You can check out my local site (San Diego) here: Welcome to GoldenShareFoods.com - San Diego's Only Share Food Cooperative

I love that they have an organic box. I had given up buying organics because of the added cost when we had to start budgeting more carefully. While it's still pricier than their basic veggie box, it's way cheaper than buying them at the stores and I get things to experiment with that I would have passed up otherwise. Turns out I make a mean eggplant parmesan.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
^^^^^^
I Googled and I couldn't find anything for SHARE in Texas nor in most other states, frankly. It must not be a nationwide organization like Angel Food Ministries.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:03 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Default Share

SHARE Colorado Online - is the name of the one That handles the following areas:

In Colorado
Denver Metro: All Denver Metro: NorthWest Denver Metro: NorthEast Denver Metro: SouthWest Denver Metro: SouthEast Colorado Springs & Surrounding Area Pueblo & Surrounding Area Western Slope Northern and NE Colorado Eastern Colorado(East of Metro Denver) Eastern Colorado(East of Springs & Pueblo) South West Colorado & San Luis Valley

South Dakota
Wyoming
New Mexico
Nebraska
Texas
Kansas
klahoma
Missouri
Arizona
Utah

Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM

124 posts, read 470,323 times
Thanks for sharing that OneDay

I also found this list SHARE Affiliates In Other States at the Wisconsin Share site.

They may not cover every single area, but they're certainly big enough to be considered a national organization.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the info! Geez, SHARE is only in five towns in Texas and not even the metros. Guess it's more popular in some parts of the country than others.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:18 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Thanks for the info! Geez, SHARE is only in five towns in Texas and not even the metros. Guess it's more popular in some parts of the country than others.
google "cooperative grocery"

Florida
SHARE Florida Food Network

Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Please keep this thread on topic of Angel Food Ministries. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Please keep this thread on topic of Angel Food Ministries. Thanks.
Thank you, Moderator. It is important to keep this on-track. I posted about this particular program because it's easily accessible and widely available to folks nationwide. I thought it could help.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
Here's a video and some pictures of the open box:
Life: Frugal and Simple: Episode 12: Angel Food Ministries Box

someone made sweet & sour chicken w/ some of the ingredients (great idea):
Eat and Travel: SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN ALA ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink