U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 21,461,455 times

Advertisements

I heard this on NPR today and thought it was so beautiful that I wanted to share it with all of my friends on city-data.

How often do you invite a stranger to dinner? Jim Haynes invites people he doesn't know to dinner at his home in Paris every Sunday, and he's been doing it for 30 years.

"People are the most important part of my life," he says. And every week he invites people from all over the world to come and break bread. Guests at his Sunday dinners have included Allen Ginsberg, R. Crumb and Yoko Ono.

"I believe we should know each other. After all, our lives are all connected," Haynes says.

Inviting The World To Dinner : NPR

This thread is not just about food, but about sharing food. Who are you sharing your dinner with tonight?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:32 PM

172 posts, read 791,052 times
Obama and Will Forte

Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,736,176 times
I tried to lure in Sir Paul McCartney but he was busy.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 PM

30,506 posts, read 30,736,871 times
Oh my gosh! I read a story, Readers Digest, years ago about a family in the mid-west? who invited a stranger to dinner every year around the holidays, Christmas.

They hosted college students who couldn't get home, people stuck in airports and bus stations. One year they invited an older homeless man. Funny, when Dad was sent out to find the guest, he had a hard time because it seemed as though everyone he approached had plans, until he ran into this particular man.

He was taken to his host's home, showered, and they gave him clean clothes. At the holiday table, the man was at first quiet but finally opened up and shared some of his background and experiences. A long time ago he'd been married and had a couple of children; he hadn't seen them in about 10 years.

They gave him a sweater at the family gift exchange. With the day at its end, he was shown to the guest bedroom for a good night's sleep. Everyone was happy.

After a nice hot breakfast, he would be given some extra clothes, cash and offered a ride to the location of his choice.

He didn't show up at the family breakfast. They decided that he must be exhausted and let him sleep in. After some time had passed, Dad went up the the guest room to check on their guest. They found that he had passed away during the night.

That is so happy and so sad at the same time.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He didn't show up at the family breakfast. They decided that he must be exhausted and let him sleep in. After some time had passed, Dad went up the the guest room to check on their guest. They found that he had passed away during the night.

That is so happy and so sad at the same time.
I was reading this and I though you were going to say he didn't show up for breakfast because he robbed them and ran off. Suspicious, see?

It's wonderful this family was able to open their home and their hearts to this and other strangers. As more of us our approaching hard times, I wonder if people will be more open to lending a hand?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,788,938 times
I get an odd feeling reading this.

We sort of adopt people on a regular basis. Our dinner table is infinitely expandable, and one of the greatest joys we have is to break bread with someone who was a stranger, but after eating with us, is a member of the family.

But I don't like to talk about it, somehow. It seems like bragging, or as though we're doing it for the sake of being able to tell people about it afterward.

So I'll just say that we share our table, such as it is, with new friends and old whenever we can. And one of the reasons that I spend so much time in Cyn's "What's For Dinner?" thread is that I get the same sort of feeling there. It feels like home.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I get an odd feeling reading this.

We sort of adopt people on a regular basis. Our dinner table is infinitely expandable, and one of the greatest joys we have is to break bread with someone who was a stranger, but after eating with us, is a member of the family.

But I don't like to talk about it, somehow. It seems like bragging, or as though we're doing it for the sake of being able to tell people about it afterward.

So I'll just say that we share our table, such as it is, with new friends and old whenever we can. And one of the reasons that I spend so much time in Cyn's "What's For Dinner?" thread is that I get the same sort of feeling there. It feels like home.
I think that by sharing this story, you send a message to others about what we can learn and experience by opening our hearts to strangers. So many people are out now buying guns because they are fearful. But here you are inviting strangers to dinner. That's really beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink