Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times

Advertisements

Chili freezes very well. I've got some in my freezer as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Can you freeze milk??
As there are only two of us, we buy milk by the gallon at $1.59 and freeze six pints. We pull out a bottle every week or two as we need it. We have found little change in the quality of the milk although the frozen product looks a bit strange.

It beats paying $1.39 for a quart at a time.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Can you freeze milk??
I buy 10 gallons at a time from BJ's and freeze most.
To thaw we let it sit on the counter most of the day and shake it
every once in a while to keep the thawed cold. If I am not going to be home I pour off the thawed and let the rest sit out.
We do not notice any difference at all with 2%.

It is important to let it totally thaw and mix well before drinking any.
I think the fat & water freeze & thaw at different rates and
need to mix up before drinking.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
With some foods, the trick is to chill it in your refrigerator for a few hours, lest you wind up with large ice crystals in the product. Fruits are like that. Chill before freezing. You can certainly freeze pasta dishes that have meat sauce, so I'm sure you can freeze chili.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You can freeze anything.

How good it looks or tastes when you defrost it is another matter. Pasta gets mushy when you defrost it. Chicken to me has an off taste if it's been cooked and frozen.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Good thread! I had no idea you could freeze milk! Now I'm curious to learn about other items.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I do notice a taste to cooked turkey when I freeze it for some reason....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
You can even freeze egg whites....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Can you freeze chili?
Yes.

Quote:
Can you freeze milk??
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You can freeze anything. No.

How good it looks or tastes when you defrost it is another matter. Pasta gets mushy when you defrost it. No. Chicken to me has an off taste if it's been cooked and frozen. Oops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I do notice a taste to cooked turkey when I freeze it for some reason.... Oops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
You can even freeze egg whites.... Why bother?
OJ freezes well, milk, tomatoe juice freezes quite well especially when homemade.

Almost all veggies and fruit freeze well. We've frozen spinach with good results. Haven't quite mastered frozen pineapple, but why since they are excellent when fresh. All berries can be frozen whole or put into a blender and frozen as a slurry which can be used for frozen drinks, pies, sauces, and additions to recipes. Try blackberries with a venison roast....scrumptious.

Freezing fish can be tricky. We've never mastered a method to freeze croaker that tastes as good as fresh. Trout lasts long if frozen properly. Squid, crab, scallops, shrimp....no issue.

We had left over cabbage and froze some yesterday, let you know how it turns out.

We've frozen watermelon and catalope with good results.

Par boil veggies and always rinse fruit just before freezing. You can sprinkle sugar or MSG to retain color and enhance flavor. Banana's are excellent when frozen especially with chocolate coating.

Cooked chicken or turkey does not freeze well even if not fully cooked when frozen. The exception is when you take the meat/bone and make soup from it.

BTW: Best tip is to not spend alot of money on storage containers. We've found that zip lock baggies work well for most everything ya just gotta wait til it cools off enough.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
"You can even freeze egg whites.... Why bother? "

If you make a Sunshine Cake (anything similar) calling for many yolks, you've got a lot of whites left over...no need to waste them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink