Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:33 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

If your child has a healthy enough diet at home then I see no harm in eating an occasional "bad" meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
If your child has a healthy enough diet at home then I see no harm in eating an occasional "bad" meal.
exactly.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
From Yahoo's "Worst Foods of 2008"

20 Worst Foods in America, 2009 on Yahoo! Health

Chili’s Pepper Pals Country-Fried Chicken Crispers with Ranch Dressing and Homestyle Fries
1,110 calories
82 g fat (15 g saturated)
1,980 mg sodium
56 g carbohydrates

Most kids, if given the choice, would live on chicken fingers for the duration of their adolescent lives. If those chicken fingers happened to come from Chili’s, it might be a shorter one. A moderately active 8-year-old boy should eat around 1,600 calories a day. This single meal plows through 75 percent of that allotment. So unless he plans to eat carrots and celery sticks for the rest of the day (and we know he doesn’t), find a healthier chicken alternative.
This makes me want to only take my kids to healthy eating est..... where I know they will be eating fresh and lite.... soups, sandwiches, and the like.... not chicken and fries! This is gross.....

Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
There you go. That's the key, but people use being busy as an excuse to have those "occasional" bad meals every single day, or several times a week.

I agree, that if you do not prepare ahead, you're going to head straight for the frankenfood when you're tired! Who doesn't - !? AND, stop eating out and eating heavily processed foods, and you will drop 20lbs fast - that's the truth!

Do you think it's all a mindset? With maybe three hours of preparation on a weekend, and you could have your family's meals for a week - cook a roast or something, add potatoes and veggies. Then, make a salad, open a can of veggies. That takes less than 5 minutes. And unless you have toddlers, what's wrong with a seven year old child setting the table, making vegetables snacks w/pb or cream cheese? I'm not seeing why preparing the week's meals is not a family happening instead of just one parent's 'job'.

And that bleedin' sodium will kill you faster than weight gain!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
It completely amazes me at how much calories and fat are in certain foods. They should be outlawed.

I was looking at some frozen dinners at Wal-Mart or Krogers not too long ago and I remember seeing something with like 110% of the DV of saturated fat. Totally uncalled for and utterly ridiculous. That stuff should be pulled from the shelf and destroyed.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Everything in moderation. High fat or high sodium or high anything items can all be eaten on occasion.

At the same time, yes, we are all leading busy lives, and if we find ourselves eating out it is good to have the information regarding a particular restaurant or chain's standards.

The 1100 calorie, 82 grams of fat, 1900 mg sodium KIDS meal from CHILIS is preposterous.
:shoc ked:

Absolutely unbelievable that they would actually serve something like this.

Has it gotten to the point that restaurant food is no better than a TV dinner from the grocery store? I mean really, for a while now I have been wondering how much food is actually COOKED in restaurants in the first place. Like if the restaurant is serving chicken soup, has anyone in the place laid a hand on raw chicken, onions, carrots and celery? NO, I have begun to doubt this, back since the Olive Garden once ran out of eggplant parm. My mother threw a hissy fit (we all make fun of her for this to this day) and told the manager to go over to Stop and Shop and pick up some more eggplant, it's right next door. Ever since then (about 15 years ago) i have wondered what is actually being COOKED in restaurants, versus REHEATED.

The 1100 calorie, 82 grams of fat, 1900 mg sodium KIDS meal from CHILIS is preposterous. :shoc ked:

We won't be eating at Chili's again and I am going to take a look at your link too, thanks.

We do like to eat out, on occasion for convenience and entertainment purposes, but this is just horrible. So restaurant food is basically right up there with McDonalds. Unbelievable!

Quote:

Chili’s Pepper Pals Country-Fried Chicken Crispers with Ranch Dressing and Homestyle Fries
1,110 calories
1,980 mg sodium
56 g carbohydrates

Most kids, if given the choice, would live on chicken fingers for the duration of their adolescent lives. If those chicken fingers happened to come from Chili’s, it might be a shorter one. A moderately active 8-year-old boy should eat around 1,600 calories a day. This single meal plows through 75 percent of that allotment. So unless he plans to eat carrots and celery sticks for the rest of the day (and we know he doesn’t), find a healthier chicken alternative.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
wow, just checked out that link.

OMG.

After reading this, I think I'd rather let my kids eat an entire package of crackers and cheese with a glass of milk and some carrot sticks for dinner than anything from outside.

Just wow.

Take a look at this milk shake from Baskin Robbins. The last line is the real kicker, and I don't even give it 10 minutes, because I can suck down a thick milk shake from Friendly's (when I allow myself one, which is VERY rare, due to the following) in LESS than 2 minutes! Maybe the baskin robbins one is bigger?!

20 Worst Foods in America, 2009 on Yahoo! Health Worst Food of 2009

Baskin Robbins Large Chocolate Oreo Shake
2,600 calories
135 g fat (59 g saturated fat, 2.5 g trans fats)
263 g sugars
1,700 mg sodium

We didn’t think anything could be worse than Baskin Robbins' 2008 bombshell, the Heath Bar Shake. After all, it had more sugar (266 grams) than 20 bowls of Froot Loops, more calories (2,310) than 11 actual Heath Bars, and more ingredients (73) than you’ll find in most chemist labs. Rather than coming to their senses and removing it from the menu, they did themselves one worse and introduced this caloric catastrophe. It’s soiled with more than a day’s worth of calories and three days worth of saturated fat, and, worst of all, usually takes less than 10 minutes to sip through a straw.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:

1,110 calories
1,980 mg sodium
56 g carbohydrates

This surprises and shocks you how? The United States is a nation overwhelmed with fat people who spend their days shoving unhealthful food into their pieholes and giving it to their kids too.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
wow. seriously. This thread went from informative and dialog to preaching and condemnation quickly.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
wow. seriously. This thread went from informative and dialog to preaching and condemnation quickly.
You and you alone are responsible for what you put in your mouth. Parents are responsible for what their children eat, until the child is old enough to take up responsibility for themselves.

Here are a few obesity demographics:

Obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. Approximately 127 million adults in the U.S. are overweight, 60 million are obese (BMI > 30) and 9 million are extremely obese (BMI > 40)

Currently, an estimated 65.2 percent of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, and 15 percent of children and adolescentsare overweight and 30.5 percent are obese.

Approximately 62 percent of female Americans are considered overweight.

Approximately 67 percent of male Americans are considered overweight.

An estimated 400,000 deaths per year may be attributable to poor diet and low physical activity.

Not everyone has a "glandular problem". These people are overeating and eating unhealthfully. Who would you blame for this other than themselves? The information about healthful eating is easily and readily available, and exercise is as simple as getting off your couch and taking a walk. Know what's in the food your kids are eating, and teach them proper dietary habits. It's not rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink