Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
makes sense. if fish have the traits of cats - recognize each other, have the will to live, have their own personalities - why not?

i find it funny that people don't just call beef and burger "cow" and pork and bacon "pig".
Sometimes they do. I guess you've never had the opportunity to decline an invitation to a pig pickin'.

~ ~ ~ ~

Do you mean to tell me that there's lettuce in that salad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
makes sense. if fish have the traits of cats - recognize each other, have the will to live, have their own personalities - why not?

i find it funny that people don't just call beef and burger "cow" and pork and bacon "pig".

it is what it is and people eat it after all.

people in other parts of the world eat dogs and cats too.
Most of the fish will eat their own young, fry just doesn't look like real fish. And personalities? I've never seen any signs of personality in a fish, not even goldfish. They are for the most part predators, with all the aggression toward other fish that entails.

People do refer to beef and pork as cow and pigmeat. I used to work in a sandwich shop that served breakfast, and it was common for people to come in and order pig and cackleberries, ie, bacon and eggs. There are also a lot of people who refer to venison as Bambi - as in 'We're having Bambi stew tonight.'

Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
When I was in the seafood business we used to come up with different names for fish that weren't as appezing for sales.

I.E.: dog salmon (chum)....silverbrite salmon....
angel shark(horn shark).....lemon shark.....
pollock...........................silver cod....
dogfish.(shark of the nw)..another type of lemon shark..

Eastcoast pollock.............Early snapper.

plus many others...

BUT: Sea Kittens...yikes... good way to end the fishing industry.

So would crab be "lice"...
and octo/squid....sea worms....
hmmm...

HW aka Captain Seafood
If people knew just what crabs eat, there wouldn't BE a market, no matter what they were called.

You can't use 'sea worms' for anything - there already are sea worms, and the worst are teredos. I'd really miss calamari, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Of course there would karibear. I know what cows eat and I know whats in my Black (Blood) Sausage and love it still!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Do you mean to tell me that there's lettuce in that salad?

This cracked me up at first, but a "salad" does not necessarialy have lettuce.

Fruit salad, bean salad...

Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
This cracked me up at first, but a "salad" does not necessarialy have lettuce.

Fruit salad, bean salad...
Just pointing out that foods aren't always called by their proper name or even the primary ingredient. Most times when someone says, "I'll have a salad", you think lettuce. But then there's henhouse canary salad.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,186 times
Quote:
Wait, fish can feel pain, take care of their babies, build safe homes etc - how is that "poison" and not truth?

If you choose to eat fish while knowing that fish have the traits of cats and other animals - that is your choice - but that does not make it not true.

Already answered on this thread: Rational Basis for Human Rights vs Irrational Basis for Animal Rights

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default We Shall Call It......

I've got it!

Tartar sauce fodder.

Some people just have too much time on their hands. Political correctness and seafood do not go hand in hand.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Of course there would karibear. I know what cows eat and I know whats in my Black (Blood) Sausage and love it still!
Um, cows eat grass and hay, that kind of thing. Crabs are scavengers, not grazers of seaweed, and without getting revoltingly graphic, whatever sinks to the sea bottom that contains protein in any form, they eat. There's a reason why crab pots are baited with half-rotten herring. And I've known more than a few pet dogs and cats named Crab Bait or Hanging Bait.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
I have no patience for PETA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink