Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

The BEST ramen (straight from the package, made according to directions, with no special things added) are by Nissin. I know, I think Nissin makes Oodles of Noodles too, but that's the American version.

You can only get this other version in an Asian food market. Almost all the writing on the package is in Japanese. The difference with these is that in addition to the little packet of powdered broth mix is another little packet of oil (I think sesame oil with flavoring). It makes a huge difference, and it's such a small amount that it can't add much fat. Though, if you are so poor as to be surviving on Ramen, you need a little fat to stay alive.

If you have an Asian food store near you, look for them. There's a weird little cartoon guy on the package, the writing on the front is Japanese, but on the side it says "Nissin Demae Ramen." I prefer the beef flavor.

I bought a case for like 3 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Please stop calling them Ramen Noodles.
... When you say Ramen Noodles you are saying Noodle Noodles.
OK... well now I gotta go and use the ATM machine

Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Now that we're on that topic, I hate "PIN Number" and "VIN number"!!!
Okay, back to cheap noodles...

Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times
Ok, I used to work in a state prison as a correctional officer, and Ramen was one of the few things inmates could buy at the commisary. Being that they are in there so long, and get tired of the prison "chow" they would get very creative with Ramen. Here is the one that I have actually tried, and will say it's pretty good.

It's called Spread.....

-Ramen noodles w\ or without the seasoning doesn't matter what flavor
-The cheap "squeeze cheese" about 3 large tablespoons per package
-Any packaged of canned chili about 2/3 the amount of cheese you add
-One small "kids size" bag of Fritos
-One or two tablespoons of diced pickled jalapinos, or however much you like
(Optional if you are going to make a large amount would be diced breakfast potatos like you may eat in a breakfast taco)

Once you have this mixture the best way to eat it is on bread like a sandwich. I know, I know, it sounds horrible, and I personally thought so too untill I decided I would try it for myself and it's amazingly great!!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:55 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,895 times
How I like to eat Ramen sometimes is I boil the noodles then drain (don't use the seasoning packet), add butter and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I like to do that with any type of noodle actually.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I went to the store to buy Ramen noodles today and the first ingredient was monosodium glutamate. I got scared!
Luckily, you don't need to use the packet. You can add other things, scrambled eggs, veggies, garlic...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
bean sprouts
scallions
chopped egg or sliced roast beef
occasionally slices of cabbage

Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 PM

17 posts, read 39,124 times
Adding a variety of meat, egg and a few cabbage leaves. Soo yummy!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
if you like spicy ramen, you can sprinkle on some paprika. the roast beef on top tastes much better than the artificially beef flavored noodles.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,559 times
I used to cook the noodles with a little extra pasta, usually rotini or broken spagetti, to add a different texture, and to stretch the meal. The noodles, drained, are very good with any spagetti sauce or a little butter/oil/garlic. You can sprinkle the seasoning powder for more flavor.

You can add a dash of vinegar to any of the spicy flavored soups to get a hot&sour flavor.

Also, you can add the powder packets to any boiling pasta for extra flavor, esp for salads.

I used to love Top Ramen! I don't eat it anymore, way too much salt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink