Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,961,324 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I wanted to find out if any of ya'll "juice" and if so what kind of juicer you use. I've seen so many infomercials on them lately and am confused. I've done some research online, but it's just not the same as speaking with someone who actually uses them. Also, how long can you keep juice in the fridge? I was thinking Id like to be able to do enough for atleast two or three days, but didn't know if it would keep that long. And my last question, where do you get your recipes? I juiced regularly when I was pregnant with my fourth daughter ( the one I am actually going vegetarian with) and it ended up being the only thing I could keep dpwn for a couple months! However, I don't remember any of the recipes.

Thanks for your help!
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,288,789 times
I do, and I have a truly ancient Waring. I got it about 20 years ago at a thrift shop and it works great. I wouldn't keep juice in the fridge for more than a couple days, but you can freeze it as well, if you get plenty of fresh veggies on sale. Or fruit juices, those are great, too. Just keep in mind that if you use celery in veggie juice, no matter what else you use, it's still going to taste like celery. But freezing it is also a good way to have frozen vegetable stock on hand for soup in the winter, and if you have a garden, whatever pulp is left composts just great.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:33 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,002,515 times
I don't juice. I use sports suppliments, but say away from steroids due to their effects on your manhood.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,777,836 times
I bought a Jack LaLanne juicer that I saw on a TV infomercial.

It lasted a couple of Months and broke. The only "repair" was to buy a new motor unit which cost almost as much as I paid for the whole machine.

I still drink a lot of juice, but it comes in bottles from the supermarket.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I bought a Jack LaLanne juicer that I saw on a TV infomercial.

It lasted a couple of Months and broke. The only "repair" was to buy a new motor unit which cost almost as much as I paid for the whole machine.

I still drink a lot of juice, but it comes in bottles from the supermarket.
That is exactly the juicer we were looking at. the ad says it has a life time warranty on the motor, guess not,huh? Thank you Freddy! I appreciate you telling me about that. And thanks to the rest of you,too, I guess we will do some more research. And I hadn't really thought about freezing the juice, but that's a great idea!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM

622 posts, read 1,718,491 times
My Mom just gave me a juicer that apparently has been gathering dust on her shelf. It looks snazzy enough, don't know what brand it is.
Anyway, I've never juiced before. Other than compost, what are some other things people do with the pulp? What do you use the juice for- other than drink it straight? I'd love some ideas!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:01 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,777,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
...the ad says it has a life time warranty on the motor...
When I threw mine out, the motor was working fine. However, the plastic gear piece that engages the juicer mechanism was broken. It was not available as a repair part as it is mounted on the motor shaft during manufacture.

I would have had to replace the whole bottom half of the machine.

When I was researching on line looking for repair parts, I came upon quite a few complaints about this specific problem.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks Freddy! We will definitely stay away from that one then!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,288,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
My Mom just gave me a juicer that apparently has been gathering dust on her shelf. It looks snazzy enough, don't know what brand it is.
Anyway, I've never juiced before. Other than compost, what are some other things people do with the pulp? What do you use the juice for- other than drink it straight? I'd love some ideas!
When I juiced veggies, I've also used some of the pulp in stews and soups, but a little goes a long way. The pulp from my juicer makes tomato paste look runny. You could probably use a bit in making pasta, if you make your own noodles, or add fruit pulp to apple juice for flavor, but it was just too much trouble for me to go to at the time. Or if you have cage pets like hamsters or guinea pigs, they'd probably enjoy a bit, too.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,718,491 times
Thanks Kari.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink