Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstoyac View Post
I love hot dogs. Especially the ones you get form the hot dog stands. Their hot dogs taste much better than the ones I make at home. What do they do differently? I always get the Polish Kielbasa, I sauté onions, add sauerkraut, cheese and I use good chili. The same add-ons, I thought, as the stands. But their’s is always much better. Why? What am I missing? Do they do something special to the water? I am in the DC area and our dogs are not as good as you NY and Chicago folks, but they are ok. Any pointers?
Well I'm in the dc area from nyc .nyc vendors use sabbrett brands the hot sausage is what's called half smokes here can't beat them but if you want a better dog use kunsler chicken franks. I'm sure you must be familiar with star vending (good hope road)or restaurant depot capital hgts also put a little vinegar in your water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
eeeewww. Hot dog stands (most I have been too in most U.S. Cities, ESPECIALLY in NYC) are so overrated and overly priced. If you're in NYC and want good hot dogs hit up Papaya Kings, Nathans or if you have a car in NYC, take a drive not too far to Rutt's Hut. In Chicago (which have better hot dogs in my opinion) try out Hot Dougs, Portillos Hot Dog, George's Hot dog.

Step your hot dog eating game up!!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
eeeewww. Hot dog stands (most I have been too in most U.S. Cities, ESPECIALLY in NYC) are so overrated and overly priced. If you're in NYC and want good hot dogs hit up Papaya Kings, Nathans or if you have a car in NYC, take a drive not too far to Rutt's Hut. In Chicago (which have better hot dogs in my opinion) try out Hot Dougs, Portillos Hot Dog, George's Hot dog.

Step your hot dog eating game up!!
Ahhhhhh, you bet! Rutt's Rules!

Fry 'em 'til they burst and have a classic ripper, your cardiologist will love ya for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlXtlAcBTUM

And you will of course need onion rings to go with that.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
DWD's Love them!!!!When we were kids my mom used to fry the hot dogs in butter, then she would take the bun face down in that same butter and fry it until it got browned. It reminded us of the ones we used to get at Friendly's.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Dave's Dogs in Destin, FL .

Dave's Dogs

Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
They are always overcharged for what they are.. a frankfurter in a bun.. that probably costs about £0.20 to buy yet you can get charged about £4 for one here lol!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I boil mine in beer.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
It's not just the preparation, it's what's in the dog itself. Ask your hotdog stand what brand they use -- there is a lot of variation inside that tube steak.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I've been rolling mine around in a hot skillet but haven't been using butter. Will have to give that a try. Even without the butter, it makes them taste better. Even Oscar Mayer!

I've never seen any of the other brands mentioned....I live in the south and only shop WM or a small-town grocery store.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
ahhhhhh, you bet! Rutt's rules!

Fry 'em 'til they burst and have a classic ripper, your cardiologist will love ya for it. :d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlxtlacbtum

and you will of course need onion rings to go with that.

dang thats great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink