Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about steak, but I like it. I decided I wanted to make steak salad this week, and ended up buying "top round" steak this weekend (since I have no clue about what the different cuts are).

I marinated and broiled it (no grill available), and then sliced it for a salad. But I don't like it. The texture seems weird to me. I bought this at a very reputable market with a butcher, so I know the quality is fine.

Is "top round" considered a good cut of steak? Any guesses as to why I don't like it? Maybe its supposed to taste the way it does and I just didn't cook it right. I don't know. I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to spend more if it means it will taste better. Any suggestions for a cut that would work with a broiler? I could also pan fry it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Top round is a bit tough. I would recommend the following cuts: top sirloin, tri-tip, t-bone, porterhouse, rib eye, New York Strip, or filet mignon.

Last edited by ccm123; 06-21-2017 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Top round is too dry for a proper steak. Get yourself a nice juicy ribeye. If you want to serve it in a salad I would use New York strip, it makes beautiful slices.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:06 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Rib Eye has been a long standing favorite of mine.

Lately I've moved to Sirloin and enjoying it.

I will always find a way to get in a Porterhouse or a T-Bone Steak in on occasion. And when I do, I look for Fred Flintstone cuts.

I know Prime Rib is a roast, but I put it in the steak family, so it gets at a minimal honorable mention.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Top round, at least to me, isn't really steak. It takes a long, slow, moist cook with indirect heat. While a lot of people like sirloin, I have a hard time getting it right; I seem to overcook it. Personally I love a rib eye so long as I don't mess it up, though it is a bit pricey.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Rib eye is my favorite, followed by Kansas City (yes, Kansas City) strip.

Top round will be a bit tough, even with a marinade.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:27 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Ok, sounds like I am not too strange for not liking the texture of top round.

I've never had that reaction to a piece of steak before so it surprised me. Fortunately, this piece I bought only cost $6, so I won't feel too bad not eating it.

I'm thinking I will try New York strip or rib-eye next.

I think I used sirloin last summer in a steak salad and it was decent.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
It's all about the marbling, that is fat swirled within the meat. The more marbling, the more flavor. For a steak salad, filet mignon or ribeye.

In my world, top round goes to the grinder and become ground beef (w/ fat added).

Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
for steak in a salad, you might try using "skirt steak" ... the thin strips that are also used for fajitas.

marinated and grilled, thinly sliced this can be a better choice than the high dollar primal cuts which are best enjoyed as "steaks" on a platter ... such as a filet, porterhouse, T-bone, rib eye, NY Strip, etc.. Lesser primal cuts, such as round or top round, are better enjoyed as ground beef.

Another interesting salad choice for marinating and grilling for thin strips is "cheeksmeat". Not often found except in ethnic markets, this can be a very flavorful cut of beef. Very tough unless given a slow moist cooking prcess to break down the fiber. We slice this cut very thinly, marinate it for 24 hrs, then braise it for an hour or so. Then on to the B-B-que for final grilling.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:32 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
I only use top round steaks to make pasties.

Any steak graded USDA prime will be an excellent steak. Costco has New Yorks that are USDA prime. I buy those and grill them over charcoal. We eat more New Yorks than any other cut. Rib steaks & porterhouses are also very good grilling steaks.

I pan fry top blade steaks (flat iron steaks) for breakfast steaks & eggs. Sirloin (which has the most flavor, but is tougher) I use for beef stroganoff and also have the butcher shop grind sirloin in with chuck roast to make more flavorful hamburger. I'm not a big fan of filet mignon because it lacks a beefy flavor, but medallions wrapped in bacon can be festive. The tenderloin --the filet mignon-- is the most tender.... here's a chart from Texas A&M.

Shear force (pounds)

"Tender" cuts "Tough" cuts
Tenderloin steak 5.7 Top round steak 11.7
Top blade steak 6.7 Eye of round steak 10.3
Top loin steaks (New York) 7.2 Bottom round steak 9.7
Rib roast 7.3 Rump roast 9.5
Rib steak 7.4 Eye of round roast 9.2
Ribeye steak 7.5 Chuck roll steak 9.2
Chuck roll roast 7.6 Chuck tender steak 9.0
Clod roast 7.9 Top round roast 9.0
Round tip roast 7.9 Bottom round roast 8.9
Top sirloin steak 8.0 Round tip steak 8.9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink