Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I got to go to Okinawa once to teach a class on a base. The best thing was the base phone book had a short list of etiquette tips ...

What I remember that I still use: don't ever point or wave your chopsticks around, it's very rude. Don't blow your nose at the table or in the restaurant (I always go to the bathroom to do this now, in all restaurants). Cover your mouth when you chew or chew with your mouth closed.

They really had to TELL people those things?!?! Surely they learned the same thing in the USA.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:24 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
1) Most Chinese dishes are bite sized, does not require public dismembering a part of an animal at the dinner table. So chopsticks are perfect for picking up each portion.

2) Most Chinese are served on a bowl or at least a concave plate.

I have not experienced a case where knife/fork is more convenient than chopsticks. Noodles? How do you eat noodles with a fork? By wrapping it around like a 5 year old? Come on, the best way to eat noodles is to pick them up with a chopstick and slurp them loudly, especially when multiple people are eating and slurping at the same time. It's great, stimulates your appetite.
I remember going somewhere to someone's house and we had spaghetti...and there I am <SLORP><SLORP> enjoying my noodles with mucho gusto and I realized people are looking at me....

Woops. Forgot...have to eat quietly.

Thanks for making remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenie0109 View Post
OK after reading all the arguments let me give conclusions:

1. Using chopsticks is effective if you are Asian (mostly) or a non-Asian who knows how to use it.
2. One could say using a chopstick is ineffective and inefficient if and only if they don't know how to use them properly.
3. Using chopsticks is like the concept of beauty. It is cultural and varies in every region. It is normal here in Japan to eat your spaghetti with chopsticks, if you do that in America, people will freak out. Using a fork in eating sushi in America is very acceptable because it is a known fact that not all are familiar in using chopsticks. If you do that here in Japan, people will stare at you.

Feel free to agree with me.
I've never seen anyone eat sushi with a fork.

Edit. Then again, I've never seen anyone eat chili with chopsticks.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
WEll, I was thinking the same thing as I wrote it, but I was going with the train of thought. Yes, they did say those things.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,284 times
It is much easier to use chopstick if you pick up something small. I mean if you are good at it.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Reasons to use chopsticks:
1. The food is prepared in a way that is meant to be eaten with chopsticks not forks and knives.
Since it is easier to eat such food with a fork, I disagree. And frankly I really doubt most restaurants care how you eat it ie they don't "mean" for people to eat it any particular way.

Quote:
2. It slows you down so you won't be a big fat American and can get more enjoyment out of the food and in the end, eat less.
Gee glad you didn't throw out some silly stereotype.

Being fat has nothing to do with how fast you eat, FYI. Likewise, enjoying food is subjective and so has nothing inherently to do with using or not using chopsticks. It also has nothing to do w/how much you eat.

Quote:
3. It's the right thing to do. Would you eat fried chicken and ribs with a knife and fork? Ice cream with a knife?
Ignoring the "right thing to do" as that is also extremely subjective....no I wouldn't, because it's logistically illogical. Not so by using a fork for chinese (or whatever).

Quote:
4. Don't make the rest of us look like cultural idiots. What would you think of a Japanese person who used chopsticks to eat spaghetti?
I couldn't care less, but it's an invalid analogy anyway. A fork and knife are not inherently "italian utensils." Chopsticks, on the other hand, are uniquely tied to a certain type of food. And forks/knives/spoons are universal.

I would add #5:

5. So people can look cool and "culturally enlightened" (or so they think)

Old 02-20-2009, 04:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post

I couldn't care less, but it's an invalid analogy anyway. A fork and knife are not inherently "italian utensils." Chopsticks, on the other hand, are uniquely tied to a certain type of food. And forks/knives/spoons are universal.

Really? Which food would that be? Because I have seen them used in many, many countries. Please let us all know what that one certain type of food is that chospticks apply to.

I would add #5:

5. So people can look cool and "culturally enlightened" (or so they think)
Wow, no disdain or resentment in that comment, huh? I wonder if the billion+ people who regularly eat with chopsticks really think they are looking "cool and culturally enlightened" as they dine.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Really? Which food would that be? Because I have seen them used in many, many countries. Please let us all know what that one certain type of food is that chospticks apply to.
Oriental food (which covers more than one country). I didn't say you couldn't use them for other foods, but they are clearly identified (and originated from) that area of the world.

Quote:
Wow, no disdain or resentment in that comment, huh?
Yeah a little, I admit. I abhor pretentiousness.

Quote:
I wonder if the billion+ people who regularly eat with chopsticks really think they are looking "cool and culturally enlightened" as they dine.
Most, of course not - but some, no doubt (mostly in this country).

Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I don't like pretentiousness, either, but *most* people who use chopsticks to eat Japanese or other foods are not patting themselves on the back for being enlightened.
I fumble my way through sushi with chopsticks.
I'm just not all that good with them, yet can't imagine using a fork: using chopsticks is more fun.
My husband is very good with chopsticks and ignores my clumsiness.
Would I waggle my finger disdainfully at anyone using a fork to eat sushi? No.
I have plenty of food snobs in my own life and don't care to add to the madness.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I don't like pretentiousness, either, but *most* people who use chopsticks to eat Japanese or other foods are not patting themselves on the back for being enlightened.
I agree, and never said/implied otherwise.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Lol, well the only reason I'd use the chop sticks over a fork and knife is that it's a challenge. You know, just to see if I can do it.

What's wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink