Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you eat Wild Game meat?
Yes 114 88.37%
No 6 4.65%
Yes but never again 9 6.98%
Other, explain 0 0%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

With the popularity of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel, it has gotten my attention and piqued my interest in eating Game Meat.

Who has eaten Game Meat?

Do you ever prepare it yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I love gator, quail, buffalo and deer.

Duck,Squirrel and bear I could take or leave.

I love my sister's turtle soup but haven't mastered it myself so I leave it to her.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I love all Game. I eat Venison , Wild Boar, Pheasant, Partridge etc.. on a fairly regular basis and adore things like Hare.

I also love Ostrich, Kangaroo, Horse-meat, Rabbit , Springbok, Bison etc... I have eaten pretty much anything you can think of in terms of meat and most of it has been really very nice.

Marmot is the only one I would never recommend to anyone. Absolutely vile.

I have had tree-rat, snake, monkey , donkey, goat, grasshoppers, grubs etc... and lived to tell the tale. Actually one you let go of any prejudices and give things a go most things are quite tasty.

I could not eat Dog unless I was starving because of my own taboo towards it. And I was never able to bring myself to eat roasted spiders in the Amazon because of my deep arachnophobia.

Apart from that if the animal is reared humanely or killed cleanly and not endangered in any way, I have little problem eating what is put in front of me.

I was surprised to see how many people on CD were horrified at the concept of eating something as commonplace as rabbit. Delicious meat, low in fat and cholesterol what it so weird about that ?

I used to go hunting with my Grand-Father and Great Uncle but I can no longer do that. Fortunately we live in a small town and our butchers get a lot of game from local hunters.

I am rather puzzled at how narrow some food base people have. It seems most people would never eat anything but chicken , pork or beef.

Why deny yourself so many great tastes and flavours, variety is the spice of life.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
There used to be a restaurant near our house and exotic meat was all they served (with sides, of course). We went a couple of times. I remember eating Ostrich. It wasn't bad, but I've never had a craving for it since!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
With the popularity of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel, it has gotten my attention and piqued my interest in eating Game Meat.

Who has eaten Game Meat?

Do you ever prepare it yourself?
Deer venison is a very mild, lean meat. Just a touch stronger than beef, similar in some respects to lamb, only not fatty at all.

You must be careful in preparation because it will dry out if overcooked and there is no greater sin than overcooking venison. If you judge the done-ness of meat on the grill by palpating it, throw all your rules out the window. A deer tender cooked to medium feels like a raw beef tender. A deer tender cooked to feel like a medium beef tender is going to be so dry that it's inedible.

My favorite way to cook venison is to marinate the meat in paste made by placing 1/2 cup olive oil, 8 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons cumin, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, salt and pepper to taste in a food processor and letting it rip until smooth. Make sure the entire cut of meat is covered in the paste and let it sit, covered and refrigerated, for about 2 hours. Before you put it on the grill let it stand at room temperature for at least twenty minutes, otherwise you get bloody at the center and burnt to a cinder on the outside.

Chop up about 1/4 cup more cilantro, seed and dice 2 medium tomatoes, mince 2 cloves of garlic and prepare another tablespoon of lime juice (I have found that 1/2 lime squeezes about 1 tablespoon of juice), stir these ingredients into 2 cups of plain yogurt with about a teaspoon each of salt and black pepper (whatever tastes right to you), and let the concoction sit for about an hour.

After you take the meat off the grill, throw some pocketless pitas over the heat and toast them until they have some mild grill marks. Cut the pitas in half along the central diameter.

Slice the venison into 1/4" cross-sections. Serve.

Stuff the pitas with venison, with the option of adding some arugala, then drizzle some of the yogurt over the top. Enjoy. Don't expect much conversation.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,877 times
Yes, I both eat wild game and cook it myself. Mostly Deer, Turkey, Squirrel and Rabbit. But I have had Elk, gator, quail, pheasant, turtle, frog legs and other things.
I only hunt deer, turkey and squirrel myself. Would love to go hunting for wild boar and Elk.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I don't like the taste of game. I've only had 2 different kinds - zebra, wildebeest.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I had squirrel and rice for breakfast alot during my childhood. Once somebody told me a squirrel is nothing more than a rat, I lost my taste for them. Dad made deer & wild hog sausage all the time. I still like to eat it.

Reggie

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I find it rather ironic that game meat is considered bizarre. For a hundred years in this country the pioneers ate nothing but game meat and the concept of going to a store to buy chicken, beef or pork would have been considered bizarre! LOL My, how things change.

Anyway, to answer your question, I LOVE game meat. I wish I could eat more of it, but I do not hunt myself, know no hunters and finding it to purchase is exceedingly difficult. So I will have to be happy with duck, and the occasional venison. When I lived in Colorado, you could find elk on the menu quite often, but it was farmed elk (not wild) and it did not have the strong gamey taste that I enjoy!

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I had squirrel and rice for breakfast alot during my childhood. Once somebody told me a squirrel is nothing more than a rat, I lost my taste for them. Dad made deer & wild hog sausage all the time. I still like to eat it.

Reggie
You caved into peer pressure! lol They're not rats..they're squirrels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink