Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 03:12 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,525,464 times

Advertisements

We had spaghetti, creamed chip beef, chili, fried chicken, cube steaks, tuna casserole, pork chops, fish, crabs during the summer (we are Marylanders) and chicken cacciatore, hot dogs, and hamburgers. There was other stuff but these are the ones that stand out. Usually had a vegetable and a starch. Only drank milk. Always had ice cream in the freezer.

Hate chicken cacciatore and cube steaks! Still eat most of the other stuff but now I only go with boneless meats. Back then, everything still had bones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 03:30 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
We had grilled cheese sandwiches, melted cheese over saltines, blueberry pancakes, chipped beef over toast, tuna fish sandwiches, soup--that was lunch, along with a glass of milk.

Supper was meat of some kind, often meatloaf or shepherd's pie, always some form of potato--mashed, baked, scalloped, and two vegetables such as carrots or beets. We had mac and cheese made with Velveeta and that old staple "American chop suey", lol. We'd also have chicken and we'd have steak with home made French fries.

Dessert was canned fruit or sometimes something like apple crisp or popovers filled with ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup. For treats my mother liked to bake so we always had brownies, cookies, and cake on hand. We were not allowed to drink soda except on special occasions so the beverage was always milk. Fresh orange juice for breakfast and lemonade from concentrate all summer.

I try to eat a little bit healthier than that but at least as a kid we didn't really have junk food and it was all from scratch. No soda, no frozen dinners, and there were no take out junk food places back then. None of us grew up to be fat--maybe it's genetic or maybe it was lack of soda and that fake junk food. But, wow, did we ever fill up on home made chocolate chip cookies.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,546,468 times
We raised a garden and bought a beef every year. Treats in the summer for us were Root Beer Floats, Ice pops once in a while, mom's homemade donuts and french fries (in that giant all-purpose deep fryer she used), and occasionally an ice cream cone from Elite's. Life was good way back when......

Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,620,519 times
My mother, even though she was a "working mom" in the 60's, ALWAYS cooked a full breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, oj and milk, and a vitamin when she was on a health kick.) I always had to buy the "hot lunch" at school (which was actually pretty good, our cafeteria ladies were excellent cooks, they used real food instead of the canned stuff they have now), and Mom fixed a full dinner six nights a week. Friday night was always dinner out. Sunday night was always soup and a sandwich. She didn't cook many treats (not enough time in her day), but I grew up baking and experimenting with cookies, etc.

She did like her Pepsi, though . . .:-)

Old 02-11-2016, 03:42 PM

964 posts, read 987,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My mother cooked from scratch back in the 50's, but I remember a treat sitting on the front
porch for lunch...baloney sandwich and Kool Aid...don't care much for either now but back then
I thought it was great.
Dessert was rare, sometimes Jello or better yet chocolate pudding that was cooked, not instant.
Right. Today everything's instant. People even eat instant mac and cheese, which seems gross, IMO. But we never got baloney sandwiches. I remember a lot of PB&J when I was a kid. And cheese sandwiches. No packaged lunch meats. And my mom didn't allow Kool-Aid or soft drinks. I guess she didn't want us to get hooked on sugar. Or maybe she was trying to keep the dentist bill down, lol. I had a grandma who made pies, so we'd get pie for desert when that was around. I do remember that everything was home-made, nothing out of a package, except for that occasional jello. And pancake mix came from a box.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:45 PM

49,990 posts, read 63,313,910 times
Homemade baked beans and wieners every Saturday. The smell of baked beans wafted through the neighborhood, since everyone's mother made them. Then we had the leftover baked beans with bacon and eggs for Sunday breakfast.
Everything was from scratch, and usually meat or fish, potatoes and a vegetable. Always a cake or pie for dessert. I still cook this way. Its not that I dislike casseroles, but I just never think to make them very often.

For lunch we had a lot of grilled cheese, PBJ, and Peanut butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwiches.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:49 PM

195 posts, read 214,464 times
Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy. Canned Green beans ( I still can't stomach canned gr beans) "goulash" with canned corned beef, Sunday baked ham with red eye gravy, vienna sausages ( this was considered a treat! LOL) Liver and onions ( my bother loved this, me.. not so much), Macaroni salad when company was coming, Pumpkin upside down cake, and milk with every meal

Old 02-11-2016, 04:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,427,919 times
My mom usually made things from scratch - however, if my folks were going out for the evening, we'd get to have Kraft Mac and Cheese, or TV Dinners, or McDonald's - it was a special treat.

We didn't really keep soda at the house - we drank water or Kool Aid.

On Saturday and Sunday mornings, my dad always made breakfast (waffles, pancakes, or French toast) while my mom did the bacon or sausage. Unless she made Swedish Pancakes or a Duffy Pancake but that was pretty rare.

Saturday and Sunday nights (if they weren't going out) my dad would grill - steaks, or hot dogs, bratwurst, hamburgers - something, and my mom and I did the sides.

We always had baked goods - my Mormor (mom's mom) lived with us and was always baking with me (she came from Sweden - her family had a bakery).

Snacks were chips (a few - nobody handed us the bag - we were GIVEN some on a napkin), space sticks maybe, Pop Tarts, a few cookies - we usually didn't have a snack or I've forgotten what we DID have.

We all drank coffee (me and my dad black, my mom and my brother with cream and sugar).

We all had milk with dinner (if we were having spaghetti, my dad would have a beer).

On Sundays, after church, we'd have a frozen pizza. Jewel Brand, usually the Deluxe one. (Chef's Kitchen Thin and Crispy). In the summer, we'd sometimes stop at the Plush Horse on the way home for ice cream. Especially if my grandparents (on my dad's side) were in town.

Lunch was brought to school in a bag or a lunch box and was a sandwich (PB&J, Bologna, something like that), some kind of fruit, some kind of chips, and milk that the school provided. Except for on Hot Dog days (the room mother's did Hot Dog days now and again). If it was summer vacation, on Wednesdays we'd have lunch with the cleaning lady, and my mom always made grilled cheese sandwiches using her electric skillet.

I loved how my mom fried Spam, she always made the best grilled cheese sandwiches (I still can't duplicate them) and nobody but her can make me feel better when I'm sick. Nobody makes cheese hot dogs like she did, or Tuna Noodle Casserole, or Tiny Toffee Square cookies.

I remember my Grandma visiting us (my dad's mom) and she couldn't have any food with certain things in it (I don't remember what) and my brother and I would have to eat Turkey Hot Dogs (or chicken hot dogs - I can't quite remember) which we both hated - we'd eat them in our tree fort for lunch and throw pieces to the animals (fort was in the woods at the end of our driveway).

Sorry - I didn't think I'd ramble on so much...my apologies!!

Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,568,931 times
We grew up on meat and potatoes, which is the furthest thing from what I eat now. We did eat the obligatory fish on Friday's and tuna noodle and other casseroles, but mostly meat (probably 5/week). My mother was a beyond fabulous cook so whatever she made was wonderful.
The desserts were what I remember most--all homemade and all great. I love dessert still, but only maybe a few times/month.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,119,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
My mom usually made things from scratch - however, if my folks were going out for the evening, we'd get to have Kraft Mac and Cheese, or TV Dinners, or McDonald's - it was a special treat.

We didn't really keep soda at the house - we drank water or Kool Aid.

If my Mother got home late from work, then dinner might have been just fish sticks, potato & veg, or even perhaps just franks and beans--but those instances were very rare.

And, neither soda nor Kool Aid were allowed in the house.
We drank water, or iced tea, or juice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink