Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times

Advertisements

My parents cooked our formal meals and treats were eating the awful foods advertised on television. Both Retail CPG and restaurants. We even thought tv dinners like Hungry Man were a treat. KFC a rare Sunday event.

I continue to eat the healthy foods and cook in the same manner as that era and have discontinued or nearly so the unhealthy ones. For example when I fry eggs I just lightly coat the pan with PAM or similar not reuse bacon grease drippings.(do not eat bacon) Nostalgia hits me in the store every now and then when I see product in the aisle from those days.

I recently bought a bag of plantain chips and munched happily away. I partook of the Sanka thread and feel nostalgic now.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-12-2016 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:30 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
My mom usually made things from scratch - however, if my folks were going out for the evening, we'd get to have Kraft Mac and Cheese, or TV Dinners, or McDonald's - it was a special treat.
. . .
We didn. . ..
Sorry - I didn't think I'd ramble on so much...my apologies!!
I enjoyed this post very much. It was interesting and fun to read. You didn't ramble you entertained.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:37 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Childhood = from scratch meals made from whole foods.

Trying to emulate in adulthood.
me too

Everything was made, nothing prepurchased

Spaghetti was unheard of where I grew up - it was meat and 3 veg

Saturday nights was chips fried egg and some sort of chop or sausage

Sundays were the Roast

You fried up the leftover potatoes from the roast for the rest of the week, ate the sandwiches from the meat

Eggs were the Fast Food

Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 PM

37 posts, read 61,505 times
For me its fast food.

Good home cooked meals were the norm in our house so something like McDonald's was a treat reserved for road trips or days when I had been good through something trying (like a Doctor's visit to get shots or some such thing), and they're very much the same thing for me and my kids now.

I probably end up eating fast food once every few months with them and it's always an immediate nostalgic trip.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Actually, I enjoyed all of the posts very much. It is interesting to hear the different types of foods and food rituals our families had growing up. My grandmother did most of the cooking in our house as my mother was (and is) a lousy cook. She did make a decent pot roast though but that was about it. My dad owned a family-style restaurant in New Orleans so we ate very well whenever he cooked or we had dinner there.

My secret food vices (even my husband and daughter won't ever catch me) are fried Spam and cheese on wheat toast, a bag of bugles, canned potted meat on crackers (although I can't find them anymore) and Jays potato chips.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Anyone ever have a creamed Tuna over toast when growing up? Not sure what they called it. It was a white sauce, then add peas, then chunks of Tuna in in. Cook it and thicken it and put over toast. I haven't eaten it in years!

Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Foods I remember from my childhood... My mother cooked pretty healthy at home. Sometimes we'd have a big pot of spaghetti with a high-quality jarred sauce and extra meat added. But my parents were pretty healthy eaters.

There was a lot of eating out though - both of my parents worked and I went to a school 25-30 minutes from my home. During my school years, we were running around a lot, so there were a lot of pizza nights, fast food drive-thrus and nicer restaurants when we had a little more time to play with.

I cook really healthy at home, but when I'm out, that's where things fall apart.

Pizza is probably my biggest vice left over from that time.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:03 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Anyone ever have a creamed Tuna over toast when growing up? Not sure what they called it. It was a white sauce, then add peas, then chunks of Tuna in in. Cook it and thicken it and put over toast. I haven't eaten it in years!
Tuna mornay

same as a Tuna Casserole but without the pasta.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Growing up in the 80's I remember hamburger helper, fried bologna sandwiches and pot pies for dinner. My mom did make (homemade fried chicken and spaghetti) but trying those prepared foods again as an adult well I just can't enjoy them at all. New York Seltzers used to be a favorite and I tried one a few weeks ago after not seeing them for like 20 years and it was too sweet and unappetizing.

I also remember little debbie/hostess being something I looked forward to at the end of each shopping trip now I wouldn't ever want those.

Do you eat foods from your child hood or eat completely different now? What foods bring back nostalgia?
When I was in college I remember getting frozen pot pies on sale, 4 / $1 ! Not my favorite, but cheap! For a treat when I was growing up we'd have tv dinners - like the salisbury steak with fries was my favorite. Salty good! Otherwise we ate what my dad cooked because there was no fast food in my town.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post

We called it Tuna Wiggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink