Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Really interesting article. BTW, TJ Maxx owns Marshall's and Home Goods.

I've usually shied away from buying food at these stores (as well as Tuesday Morning) because I figured it was stuff that was close to expiration or hadn't sold elsewhere because it was a lousy product. Or Maybe the product didnt taste good enough to get picked up by grocers for distribution.

But this article gives me a very different impression about the food items for sale in these stores. What has been your experience?

TJ Maxx has already knocked out Macy's, Nordstrom, and JCPenney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Really interesting article. BTW, TJ Maxx owns Marshall's and Home Goods.

I've usually shied away from buying food at these stores (as well as Tuesday Morning) because I figured it was stuff that was close to expiration or hadn't sold elsewhere because it was a lousy product. Or Maybe the product didnt taste good enough to get picked up by grocers for distribution.

But this article gives me a very different impression about the food items for sale in these stores. What has been your experience?

TJ Maxx has already knocked out Macy's, Nordstrom, and JCPenney
I didn't realize TJMAX owned Marshalls and Home Goods. I did know Home Goods and Marshalls were owned by the same company; Now, about buying food products, yes, I have bought them at both Home Goods (often at Home Goods) and Marshalls. I am not a huge TJMax shopper. Recently got Kahlua ground coffee at Home Goods. It is wonderful and cheaper than anywhere else.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:33 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I've bought things like peppercorns, vinegar and jelly at TJMaxx and Home Goods. They were reeeeeally cheap. It was worth the risk. They were fine. Never had to throw anything away.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Wow, hard to believe their sales are "soaring" based on what I've seen and the few items I sometimes get there, I would beg to differ. I have gotten peppercorns there, I think that's the only food item I've ever purchased (I'm not a coffee drinker), the prices don't seem so great to me on most (if not all) things. Now in the old days... it was a diff. story.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Hmmm, they can't prove it by me and what I purchase at Home Goods.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-31-2016 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
I don't live near a TJ Maxx anymore (sad face) but when I did, sure, if it was something I liked I'd check the expiration date and buy it. I got some really nice gourmet cocoa mixes, all kinds of teas and jams, some olive oil and chocolates. There was nothing wrong with any of them, and I'm super picky about freshness.

The only bad part was that I'd get semi-addicted to some exotic brand and then have to pay big bucks for it somewhere else.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I've usually shied away from buying food at these stores (as well as Tuesday Morning) because I figured it was stuff that was close to expiration or hadn't sold elsewhere because it was a lousy product.
I used to feel the same way, but quite a few years ago I read a similar article. Now, I love to go shopping for spices and unusual food items at all of these stores. I especially like the Victoria Gourmet brand of seasonings, which they seem to have on a fairly regular basis. I also purchase vinegars and flavored oils, as well as salts and pepper (Cape Herb & Spice extra bold peppercorns, from South Africa, are a favorite ).

I won't ever buy food/drug items from a dollar store, though.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:40 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Hmmm, they can't prove it buy me and what I purchase at Home Goods.
What does this mean?

Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Well, thanks everyone! I'll have to make a trip down there this week. Maybe I'll run across some kind of interesting mayo or spread to put on those pork tenderloin sandwiches. . .

Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What does this mean?
I buy non-food items at Home Goods (and I fixed my typo in the post and *buy is now *by).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink