Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't there be something that tells people this? Seems like common sense to me. (I wasn't the only person that had no clue - Aldi wasn't around here before)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
We've had Aldi most of my life. It didn't occur to me that the carts would be a source of confusion.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I realize ALDI isn't for everyone. I myself resisted going for at least two years after they built the first one near me. I assumed I would hate it. Boy was I wrong! I decided to check it out and could not believe the great quality for the low price. It may be the "store" brand (which is name brand but packaged as generic) and about half the price of the regular grocery store. True prices have gone up a bit this past year, but still way cheaper than anywhere else. I get GREAT deals on wine, grass fed beef, natural chicken breasts, wild caught fish (frozen) many organic items, fantastic salsa (from Mexico and better than any I have ever had at a restaurant!) great chocolates, granny smith apples and lemons (large bags for half the cost of anywhere else). Good inexpensive wine selections. They even have organic coffee beans. Now it is true you won't have a huge selection of brands, sometimes it is only their brand, but nearly everything I have purchased has met or exceeded my expectations. Our stores here are new, bright and clean with good employees. They are also conveniently located to my upscale full service grocery store in the plaza next door. So I am one satisfied repeat customer!

I seriously doubt they will overtake any major grocery players, but from what I see they are doing quite well with their business model.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I realize ALDI isn't for everyone. I myself resisted going for at least two years after they built the first one near me. I assumed I would hate it. Boy was I wrong! I decided to check it out and could not believe the great quality for the low price. It may be the "store" brand (which is name brand but packaged as generic) and about half the price of the regular grocery store. True prices have gone up a bit this past year, but still way cheaper than anywhere else. I get GREAT deals on wine, grass fed beef, natural chicken breasts, wild caught fish (frozen) many organic items, fantastic salsa (from Mexico and better than any I have ever had at a restaurant!) great chocolates, granny smith apples and lemons (large bags for half the cost of anywhere else). Good inexpensive wine selections. They even have organic coffee beans. Now it is true you won't have a huge selection of brands, sometimes it is only their brand, but nearly everything I have purchased has met or exceeded my expectations. Our stores here are new, bright and clean with good employees. They are also conveniently located to my upscale full service grocery store in the plaza next door. So I am one satisfied repeat customer!

I seriously doubt they will overtake any major grocery players, but from what I see they are doing quite well with their business model.
I've mentioned this to you before in other threads gypsychic, but I live around the corner from an Aldi in Atlanta and I feel the same. I won't buy pasta from anyplace else, as their store brand is actually Barilla.

I'm also a big fan of Sprouts. The ones near us tend to hire middle-aged workers, who seem passionate about their jobs and the store itself. They're expanding here like crazy right now.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
In Germany they have Aldi's all over (They have two different Aldi's, Nord, and Sud, both from the same family-there's a whole story behind it, Google it if you're interested). It is basically THE grocery store along with Lidl, which is coming to the US soon. Not a bad store, but some of the frozen stuff is hit/miss.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Shouldn't there be something that tells people this? Seems like common sense to me. (I wasn't the only person that had no clue - Aldi wasn't around here before)
I am sorry, love. And I sincerely mean it.

I am in no way connected to Aldi's but the confusion is strange. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Pretty much the same model as Trader Joes (who are owned by Aldi) and I have to fight my way through the aisles at every Trader Joes I go to because they are so ridiculously crowded. Also a similar model to Costco in terms of selection and I also have to fight off people there just to get into the parking lot. If the prices are right and food is quality then people will shop there and go to another store for other things they need. The problem with Aldi is that the quality is on par with the price where as Costco and Trader Joes I feel like I'm getting great quality compared to low prices I pay.
Trader Joe's is owned by the other Aldi; not the one in the states.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
No worries, no Aldi's around here and they aren't likely to get here, either. 2,500 miles of ocean and expensive real estate saves us from all sorts of start ups.

I have been to one when visiting some relatives on the mainland, it didn't seem overly fancy of a grocery store but the prices were good on what they did have. They didn't seem to carry all that much high end stuff, either. We also visited a Grocery Outlet and that store was a bit odd in their selections, but they were more interesting. Good prices, odd but mostly interesting stock.
They really aren't a start up-they know what they're doing.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Around here they compete with Stop'N Go. Not gonna happen.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As much as I agree with you about Walmart, I do have to say that the checkers at Aldi's don't have to put anything in a bag or a box. You do that yourself. I think that is the main thing that makes them so much quicker.
There are some things that simply do not translate well from Europe. I would put retail grocery stores and French cars in the same category. "Supermarkets" were an American invention and remain so. European attempts at copying it has given us the likes of Aldi. I'll pick Wawa over Aldi. I'll like to see what the German answer to Costco would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink