Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a 6" electric frying pan that I had to have. I've only used it a few times, but I noticed the teflon is scratched and peeling. I guess it was my fault, as I didn't use a soft cloth to clean it. Is it safe to use, or should I throw it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Well, we've all heard stories about how dangerous teflon is, even if it's not flaking or peeling. Not sure I buy all that, but there are some ways that chemicals can leach out of the teflon -- leaving the pan on the stove empty, for instance. I don't know if it's really a health risk or not to have one with scratches...but I have to admit to having some myself. And I'm still using them. I just looked at a website that says the FDA claims these small particles pose no health risk. (Of course that's what they said about a lot of meds too!) You can read it here: http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=162 (broken link)

Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Teflon is a very inert material...one of the reasons s why very little sticks to it.
That also means it reacts chemicaly with very few other materials...that's why
the little flakes are harmless.
Re the empty pan thing...if you place an empty pan on a burner the pan can get extremely hot. Normally a pan can get no hotter than the liquid in it...ie...if there's water in the pan the temperature limit is 212 F. (boiling) An empty pan can get much much hotter though. When hot enough (above 660 F) Teflon can decompose and emit a number of hazardous materials one of which is Phosgene
gas. (very toxic) Note that this occurs ABOVE 660 F. That's really screaming hot. The pan was already toast long before that point was reached. Under normal use the toxic materials scare is just another public boogy man.

For the nit picking tecno types..........
BTW...before some smart a$$ chemist attempts to give me a chemistry lesson I know Teflon contains no clorine so it can't really make Phosgene. The gas it does make has the same structure but Fl in place of the Cl.

Last edited by JBrown; 03-20-2007 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I avoid teflon, no matter what shape the pan is in...I eat enough junk, I don't need to be eating God only knows what...

Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Teflon is bad stuff... causes cancer from what I've heard.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 PM

192 posts, read 864,719 times
There are some brands of nonstick cookware that don't contain Teflon or anything similar to it.

For instance Scanpan is wonderful and uses a ceramic-titanium alloy instead of the Teflon-type coatings found in less expensive cookware. I've used Scanpan for many years. It's expensive but will last practically forever!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Smile Scanpan

I just recently discovered the Scanpans. They are expensive and a little bit heavy but I love them!!! They seem to heat up well and they clean up nice. I do believe they are safer to use for cooking.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 PM

585 posts, read 613,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I recently bought a 6" electric frying pan that I had to have. I've only used it a few times, but I noticed the teflon is scratched and peeling. I guess it was my fault, as I didn't use a soft cloth to clean it. Is it safe to use, or should I throw it out?
Sorry, I don't know if it will effect you any. I do have a large griddle that has teflon and all I use it for is pancakes or bacon. But, anyway, I have used it for years and the teflon has worn off in the areas where the heat is hottest. I'm not dead yet!

Personally I prefer a good old well seasoned iron frying pan. It sometimes takes years to get one well seasoned, but it cooks better than any electric pan. The trick to season one is to place it on the stove to dry after washing and then coat it with oil. Eventually it will get where nothing sticks to it!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Question Pan safety

Since this thread seems to be on the subject of "pan safety" right now, let me ask you guys--have any of you been to one of those Saladmaster parties where they do the "pot test" and put baking soda and water in several different types of pan form teflon to copperclad, stainless steel, etc and then one of their saladmaster pans? Then after briefly boiling it, they have you take a small taste of the water and they all taste absolutely PUTRID except the saladmaster. The salesperson tells you that this is because of all the chemicals that leech from the other pans. Had this happen recently, and frankly, it got my attention. My husband and I decided we did not want to spend $1500-$2000 on these pans however. But it did mess with me. What do you guys think- is this just a sales gimmick that involves chemical reactions with alkaline baking soda are do you think they have a legitimate issue here? (This was how I got started buying the scan pans actually. I haven't tested but supposedly they don't leach either in this type of "test". And are expensive, but reasonable!) Any thoughts on this?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
There's an environmentally persistent chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid that leaches out of/is released from Teflon that some think is harmful. It sure isn't biodegradable.

That being said, I have little use for Teflon in the kitchen, anyway. Omelettes and eggs over easy is about it. It doesn't brown the food properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink