Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 10:51 AM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You need to do more exploring - there is seafood in Indian cuisine - the coastal areas like Goa have seafood. Just like in the US, the places with access to seafood build it into their dishes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goan_cuisine

We get pretty limited regional food here. India is a giant country with lots of variety. Most of what we get is northern Indian food. I find it to be heavy. They use butter and cream.

Southern Indian food is more my style. Dosas are amazing - Indian crepes. And the bases of the dish tend to not be creamy with dairy!

Of course some Indians eat fish. The last time I was at an Indian shop in Fremont, I bought a box of curry mix for fish. I made the fish curry but I was not that fond of the spice blend, so now if I am making a curry I will add a bit of the fish curry powder to the other curry, just to use up the box. I have also eaten fish curry in an Indian restaurant. Any coastal or river community will likely eat fish, unless it is against their beliefs.

As to the Op, Yes I love curries & all sorts of Indian foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 02:04 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryaday View Post
Of all the cuisines in the world, India has one of the most aromatic and colorful. Varieties of Indian food are countless and identifiable by caste region or tribe, and many Indians eat a diet very similar to that of ancestors from many years past.

I never tried Indian food until I went away to college. It was love at first bite.

I think Indian food is one of the most interesting cuisines, with complex flavor combinations and intense but delicate spices.

It's also one of the most difficult to master, with any degree of authenticity.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I never tried Indian food until I went away to college. It was love at first bite.

I think Indian food is one of the most interesting cuisines, with complex flavor combinations and intense but delicate spices.

It's also one of the most difficult to master, with any degree of authenticity.
When in London I'll take you and DH to my local curry house! You'll LOVE IT

Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Love Indian food....the spices are the best part. The way they cook and season potatoes and chicken, YUM.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM

15 posts, read 9,806 times
Ah man. I can't wait to go back to India, just so I can eat myself sick

For what it's worth, in terms of health benefits, I've never felt better in my life than eating an Indian diet for 3 months straight while traveling there.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Notice that Indians don't have any seafood dishes? Because most of them don't eat much seafood or meats in general.

Uh.
Practically the entire country is coastline.

There are tons of seafood dishes.

Ironic that your post referenced experience and authenticity.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
Indian food is the food of the Gods!!.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh.
Practically the entire country is coastline.

There are tons of seafood dishes.

Ironic that your post referenced experience and authenticity.
There's a lack of seafood dishes, I did not say none. In comparison to Japanese, which one has more seafood dishes?

I have Indians in the family and they don't particularly eat seafood much as it isn't on their family menu.

A lot of Americans that live on coastlines such as NJ do not all enjoy seafoods so that's a moot point.

Indian cuisine favors vegetarians, meats such as seafoods are not main ingredients.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's a lack of seafood dishes, I did not say none.
Come on man, you said:

"Notice that Indians don't have any seafood dishes?"

It is just false, no way to spin it. There are areas where fish curries are the staple, and many large cities like Kochi and Mumbai are known for fresh seafood. Hell Goa has fish curry stalls everywhere, you can't walk a kilometer without stumbling on seafood.

We just spent a month in India eating everything we could get our hands on and I got some pics to drool over, everything from street food served on a mat on the ground to reasonably nice restaurants. Start with dosa...

Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Some Indian "buffets" really give Indian cuisine a bad reputation. It's wonderful when prepared with fresh ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink