Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,376,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
My late mother-in-law, who fed a family of eight on one small paycheck, would use oatmeal, breadcrumbs and other starchy fillers to extend the ground meat when she made hamburgers. I like the flavor it adds if the meat is greasier than usual.

We've done the stuffed hamburgers before, too, when you put cheese and grilled onions between two thin patties of meat, press them together and grill; our kids used to call them inside-out cheeseburgers.
We are doing the inside out cheeseburgers later this week using mushrooms and swiss cheese. Caramelized onions on the bun with mustard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,171,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We are doing the inside out cheeseburgers later this week using mushrooms and swiss cheese. Caramelized onions on the bun with mustard...
OK, that did it Still got a couple of good steak rolls left. So tonight it will be a mushroom melt. Boca Burger with melted swiss on top, cut in half and spread across a lightly toasted roll. Topped with mushroom sauce.

Mushroom sauce:
Brown Gravy mix (in the paper envelope) prepared with a bit less water than specified
Add one 4oz can of sliced button mushrooms drained
Salt and pepper to taste
Yields a thick brown mushroom sauce enough for 4 sandwiches

Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,810,051 times
My mother used to make them with the #3 ingredients all the time (oats, ketchup, mustard, etc) when I was a kid. I actually thought that is how they were made by everyone!

I usually buy mine premade now cause I can never get the homemade ones to stick together for cooking

Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,998,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
My mother used to make them with the #3 ingredients all the time (oats, ketchup, mustard, etc) when I was a kid. I actually thought that is how they were made by everyone!

I usually buy mine premade now cause I can never get the homemade ones to stick together for cooking
Can't you use an egg to help it stick?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,393,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We grill no matter how cold it is outside.
When forming the burgers, I use ground buffalo, and usually add gorgonzola cheese, garlic, and other spices, sometimes chipotle.
I'm thinking about this for dinner tonight. Yum.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink