Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

Talk about a triumph of marketing - whoever dreamed up the idea of shilling in 60 or 70 people to pony up $22 each for a meal that's on a par with what you'd get in a greasy spoon for a few bucks, just because it's in a "fancy restaurant," is a real marketing genius. Old PT Barnum knew what he was talking about, I guess.
Home cooking beats restaurant cooking 99% of the time.

Did PT Barnum say "There's one born every minute" ?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,394 times
An American favorite: Stuffed Peppers with tomato gravy and mashed potatoes

Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Morning everyone, tonight for dinner meatloaf with mashed potatoes and some sort of veggie. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
True Debsi. What a rip-off.

Many years ago we went to an upscale restaurant in PA. Well the portions were miniscule and outrageously expensive, everything was a la carte. After paying a bill of over $200 we ended up at a McDonald's wolfing down quarter pounders and fries.

MTH hope everyone's feeling better today.

HG-hope your procedure went well and you are pain free today.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Home cooking beats restaurant cooking 99% of the time.

Did PT Barnum say "There's one born every minute" ?
No, Barnum never said that. In fact it was said by one of his competitors who was trying to dismiss Barnum's success by saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

This is a much better quote from P.T. Barnum. "The noblest art is that of making others happy, honesty, sobriety, industry, economy, education, good habits, perseverance, cheerfulness, love to God and good will toward men. These are the preeminent requisites for securing Health, Independence, or a Happy Life, the respect of Mankind and the special favor of our Father in Heaven."

My DP just suggested that we go out for supper this evening! We may go to a local "mom and pop" place we have been wanting to try (The Green Turtle Cafe) or we may go to a little more upscale place we saw over in Westbrook....I will let you know where we end up.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
True Debsi. What a rip-off.

Many years ago we went to an upscale restaurant in PA. Well the portions were miniscule and outrageously expensive, everything was a la carte. After paying a bill of over $200 we ended up at a McDonald's wolfing down quarter pounders and fries.

MTH hope everyone's feeling better today.

HG-hope your procedure went well and you are pain free today.
Nope Kids and I are still sniffly but the older ones were kicked out the door to school. Neither were running a fever and they were just driving me nuts so off they went. I'm not going to get better if I spend all my time yelling at them to lay down.

I think I am going to make some jello or something for my throat. I really want pudding but I made the mistake of stepping on a scale and didn't like what I saw. Ugh. 15 pd weight gain since quitting smoking. But still not smoking after 8 weeks I think.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Morning y'all! I hope everyones day is going wonderfully! Weather is beautiful today after yesterdays mess, so I am off to work in a bit......
Nomad, I hope both you and your wife have a fabulous day, you both so deserve it!
Looks like its gonna be leftover stew and rolls today, am prepping my clients house for a big furniture delivery on Friday, and she has more stuff than you can imagine. I have an organizational gal there today tpo make sense of it all, wish me luck.......

Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
No, Barnum never said that. In fact it was said by one of his competitors who was trying to dismiss Barnum's success by saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

This is a much better quote from P.T. Barnum. "The noblest art is that of making others happy, honesty, sobriety, industry, economy, education, good habits, perseverance, cheerfulness, love to God and good will toward men. These are the preeminent requisites for securing Health, Independence, or a Happy Life, the respect of Mankind and the special favor of our Father in Heaven."

Always a font of information, Elston.

Here's a quote I love but obviously fail to live by since I just said home cooking is way better than restaurant food --

Comparisons are odious. -- John Donne

Without comparisons, there could be no envy, and brothers and sisters could stop bickering over who mom loves best, among other things.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Default Comparisons.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Here's a quote I love but obviously fail to live by since I just said home cooking is way better than restaurant food --

Comparisons are odious. -- John Donne

Without comparisons, there could be no envy, and brothers and sisters could stop bickering over who mom loves best, among other things.
or perhaps, just maybe......some comparisons are more odious than others.....but I wouldnt want to compare them. LOL

Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
A big huge congratulations to MTH for not smoking for 8 weeks now!! Job well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink