Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times

Advertisements

Hi ya foodies I sure have been missing "talking" with ya all more than I have. Hopefully I fixed something so I will be back chatting when the bulk of you are here soon.

NMS I love all the things I can make from leftover ham. I am hoping our meat market lowers their hams some more so I can get a whole one to can up. They didn't do that after Easter like the old owners always did so I didn't buy a whole ham then either.

YLisa so sorry your haircut wasn't what you asked for hate it that happens. When you get the hang of canning then you can start canning meat in pints that would be perfect sized for you both.

toosie I tried that once a month cooking before freezing up a bunch of foods. All of it took longer than using my home canned products and just cooking. I do however have pasta sauce in small freezer bags for things like Italian sausage sandwiches etc. that come in handy.

skbs what George said! Plus you are never, ever bad we all have days we aren't up to ourselves. Hope you get some rest and Chatterbox sleeps through the night tonight.

HG Glad you are feeling better. Reading your post made me think that those poor chickens are soooooooooooooooo glad somebody thought up the idea to shove a beer can up their rear end eh?

cyn glad you are feeling better your supper sounded yumo. How is your arm doing with the new meds?

turtlemom have a friend with fibro I know it is not fun when it flairs hope you feel better soon.

HL keep being that good wife.

Nomad you always make a "save" with dinner some how. That pork should keep you going for a few days though. I added sweet potatoes to my list from reading your last post thanks.

ACTS Mom, Womanofsubstance, thegirlinaz, AKgirlinCA, Hobgoblin welcome to the best thread filled with awesome folks and good eats.

spiderbear easy meals are good.

MWBW I sure hope DH & you get those naps this weekend you both deserve them. Glad your back at the table again.

Couple of nights ago I made swiss steaks, brown gravy, mashed potatoes & steamed carrots. Tonight we had spanish hot dogs, beets (yes skbs I ate one for you dear), cottage cheese and cauliflower. I am in the mood to be in a mode to use up everything in our freezers and cabinets. Told the family to expect weird combos if I keep with my threat "I'm not buying anymore food until we use up what we have".

Old 05-30-2009, 04:45 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,589,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
toosie I tried that once a month cooking before freezing up a bunch of foods. All of it took longer than using my home canned products and just cooking. I do however have pasta sauce in small freezer bags for things like Italian sausage sandwiches etc. that come in handy.

Couple of nights ago I made swiss steaks, brown gravy, mashed potatoes & steamed carrots. Tonight we had spanish hot dogs, beets (yes skbs I ate one for you dear), cottage cheese and cauliflower. I am in the mood to be in a mode to use up everything in our freezers and cabinets. Told the family to expect weird combos if I keep with my threat "I'm not buying anymore food until we use up what we have".
I was JUST talking about the freezer cooking idea and feeling like it'd be the same for me as it was for you. Thanks for saving me the trouble LOL. I'm ALSO in use it up mode! GMTA

Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Good morning all and happy Saturday!

Not sure right now about dinner but I have wings marinating in my icky sticky yummy marinade since yesterday. Also have ham left from last night. Or it could be pizza! Time will tell.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Good morning all. It is a sunny day today. Woo hoo. Dh is taking me to the local flea market and a new Farmer's MArket that opens today. I know it will be a small one but I am still excited.

I am trying a new recipe tonight that looks so good for summertime. It is called:

Country Style Tomatoes

4 large tomatoes
1 8oz pack of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 cup Panko
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. olive oil

Cut tomatoes into 4 slices each and drain on paper towels. In a bowl, beat cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic, and salt. Spread cc mixture over 8 tomato slices and top with remaining slices.

Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each tomato "sandwich" with flour, dip in egg mixture, and coat with Panko.

In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over med-hot heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towels.

I am going to try them but "oven fry" them. I love cream cheese and tomatoes so this should be really good. My DH will not eat this so he will have pasta and sauce(gravy). I have no idea what to make with the tomatoes. Any ideas? Have a great day.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 AM

Ooo the wing marinade sounds like it must be really tasty, Lacey!

No idea what we're doing for dinner tonight either. Usually I make a weekly meal plan but I'm being a slacker on that right now. I'm hoping we'll pass something on the way home today and get takeout - maybe Popeyes!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
I am getting Chatterbox in to see the Dr this morning. She is still complaining of a belly ache... I am calling it quits and taking her in. I don't know what they can do for her but at least if there is SOMETHING then it will be done.... Hubby took last night's shift and let me sleep .... I got 10 hours last night.... Pure Bliss.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Tonight is the play... we will start our dinner THERE actually The tickets come with this room for ( have no clue how my parents got these!) that serves appetizes before the show and has an open bar. At intermission there is a dessert and coffee bar! If we are still hungry after the play (which w/ the meds I am doubting I will be) we are thinking of going to this Tapas place. Now, everyone please PLEASE keep your fingers crossed Chatterbox does not call me to come get her tonight... I need a night off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks! lol

Old 05-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Fingers crossed for you skbs! Hope you get to the tapas place also - and come back and tell us about all the things you tried

Old 05-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
MWBW, enjoy your well-deserved weekend off. ((SSSSShHHHH, everybody! She's napping!)

skbs, I hope chatterbox is feeling better.

No real dinner last night. We did the AYCE Chinese buffet. I did microwave some popcorn, tho. Does that count?

I'm making some baked beans with some of the leftover ham. Think I'll get some lentils this week and make some lentil soup. I had some at an Italian restaurant not long ago that was to die for. I hope I can find a recipe similar to that.

I think we'll be rotissering a chicken today, too. Sounds good to me.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Good Morning Foodie Friends!

It's a beautiful day here in E. NC. Hope you all are fine, I wasn't here yesterday so I have some catching up to do.

skbs, have fun tonight

Last night we went out to our local restaurant where h had a half of a roasted chicken which sat on top of various roasted vegetables and new potatoes, he said it wasn't as moist as I make it (but then he says that about everything he eats when we are out) I had a rolled chicken breast, stuffed with Pignoli beans (pine nuts) & dried cranberries, whipped sweet potatoes and fresh asparagus with fresh lemon. Lem. mer. pie for dessert. Very good.

Tonight we are having hm stuffed cabbage with mashed potatoes.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday. I will check back later. kelsie

Old 05-30-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I had a rolled chicken breast, stuffed with Pignoli beans (pine nuts) & dried cranberries, whipped sweet potatoes and fresh asparagus with fresh lemon. Lem. mer. pie for dessert. Very good.

Tonight we are having hm stuffed cabbage with mashed potatoes.
Last night's dinner sounds so good start to finish!

How do you make your stuffed cabbage? With rice, ground beef and tomato sauce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink