Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 06:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times

Advertisements

Cyn-happiest of Easter's to you and G. Elston's so right, things will thaw and work.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:07 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Hi everyone

Happy Easter. There is so much wonderful cooking on this thread between yesterday and today. Like Lacey and cyn it's just my DH and I so we don't celebrate any holidays. Life is a holiday for us so it's all good, lol.

Trying to clean out the refrigerator so a big salad for me and either lasagna, stuffed peppers, or pasta and sauce for my DH.

Have a great day.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Oh well, it's Chinese food, it can't be bad. (Thank you to your most excellent people, George Chong! )
I do what I can do......

Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Good job, George.

Cyn, hang in there. When they realize what they're missing, they'll be back.

Elston, you should be a counselor. You say just the right things and say them so well.

We're like YLisa and her hubby, at least for Easter. It's not a big meal day for us. I'm hoping to have that rotisseried roast today, tho. It's got to be cooked soon or thrown out. However, Lacey's Chinese dinner sounds pretty good, too.

Have a great Easter, all. Big hugs.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Cyn: What elston & Lacey said.

To everyone celebrating the Holiday today, I wish you the the most wonderful day ever. Anyone who does not have a place to go. The "k's" home to an open invitation. There will always have enough food.

After going to our friends house last evening for a mini-celebration of their daughter leaving to go to Ecuador & Peru to do Missionary work with the children, we went to the Oyster bar. H had sliced roast pork, garlic mashed potatoes & mixed vegetables, I had baked Oysters with crispy bacon & blue cheese. Yummy! It was so funny when we pulled up to the restaurant, we parked next to 3 horses that were tied on the fence. It is so nice to get back to basics and enjoy the simple things in life.

Today will be virtually stress free, h works until 4:00 and our friends coming at 4:30. It will be an easy Easter dinner of baked ham with a Praline mustard glaze, shallot mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, steamed asparagus, honey glazed carrots, mixed spring salad, dinner rolls & butter. Our friends are bringing Key Lime cheesecake for dessert.

Whatever you are doing today, I wish you happiness, health & love. Have a truly blessed day. kelsie

Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Cyn, Elston said it so well - truly, he is our poet laureate of the food forum - but I echo his sentiments. This is the season of rebirth, renewal and reunion, and hearts that have been hardened can soften again with love and patience. Hugs to you, dear friend!

I hadn't really thought much about dinner today, since, like Lacey and Cyn, it's just the two of us, but I think we have a tiny ham - really more of a thick ham steak - in the freezer from our favorite Farmers' Market meat vendor. I'm thinking that I'll pull that out and let it thaw, then slather it with honey-dijon sauce and heat it in the oven for a bit. It's fully cooked, so won't take much more than heating it through. I'm debating sweet potatoes, which were always the traditional accompaniment to ham when I was growing up, but am not sure that I want to have the oven on that long. I may cheat and start them out in the microwave. And I'm really hoping to find some wonderful asparagus at the store today, because that just says "spring" to me.

Joy and renewal to all today!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Same to you, MWBW. Your dinner sounds good.

Kelsie, thanks for the invite, but we've finally decided to cook that roast beef on the rotisserie. I can't wait. It's been years since I've had one and they are SOOOOO good. I'll have to get back to you all on the sides.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Well, the rump roast is smelling and looking awfully good. We're also having marinated grilled veggies, home made applesauce, pickles, fresh cukes and grape tomatoes and olives. For dessert, I've carved up a nice, ripe pineapple. mmmmmmmmm

Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Happy Easter holidays!!!

Today I cooked twice and I'm amazed I found the time between hiding the eggs and lying around in the sun at all lol

We had lunch with my parents: I made a kind of potatoe gratin. Mushrooms and onions fried in some oil then some dry white wine and veggie broth is poured into the pan and it can simmer for about 10 mins.
Meanwhile I fry about 4-6 chicken breast (in slices) in some oil and put them on hold.
The potatoes are peeled and sliced in thin slices and cooked in salt water for about 10 mins.
Potatoes come into an oven dish. Then the mushrooms and onions have to be fished out of the wine/veggie broth and put onto the potatoes. On top go the chicken breast slices.

Then I took 2 cups of sour cream, mixed them with 4 egg yolk (?), added one and a half pack of grated cheese and a shot of Grappa as well as the wine/veggie broth. Stir well and then pour into the dish.

Off it goes into the oven for about 20-30 mins till golden brown.

The second dish was made for dinner to get rid of some leftovers. I fried some spaghetti with leek and carrot strips and some spices (ready to use stuff from Maggi for Chinese noodles).

Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Easter today!

I'm also cooking twice today. Lunch is almost ready and we are having ham, rolls, deviled eggs, glazed carrots and roasted asparagus. I bought a 20lb ham. I really have no idea why. It's ginormous! I'm a little afraid of it!

Then we are grilling out for a late dinner - steaks, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and a mixed salad.

I'm also making chocolate cake with caramel sauce.

I made these last night for the kids to take to church today and they were so cute I had to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink