Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you tip for restaurant to-go Orders?
Yes, I leave the traditional 15%+ tip. 9 5.23%
Yes, I leave a very small tip. 34 19.77%
No, I leave no tip. 115 66.86%
Other. 14 8.14%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times

Advertisements

It depends on the type of restaurant and service provided.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. One of my husband and my favorite buffet restaurants is an interesting setup where you go in the place, get all your food and drink first, then pay for your meal as you leave. We have never had any semblance of service there. We don't even get our plates taken away. The only person who does anything for us is the cashier who runs our cc when we leave. Yet there is a tip jar that says TIPS at the cashier stand, and people actually put money in it! For what???
Cashier may have put his own money in there, and nobody may have tipped. I have some relatives that worked as waiters. They said service people sometimes put their own money in a tip jar. They hope other people will assume other customers did it.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM

416 posts, read 871,405 times
No.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Tipping should be outlawed in my opinion. Do I tip? Yes, but not when I get in my car to walk inside pay and carry out my order. I only tip if someone is waiting on me.

I'm not the employer why should I have to pay the employees wage?
That is essentially what the restaurant business has done, it has talked each and every customer that walks in through it's doors to be a part time employer for that business and help pay it's employee wages. Pay them a regular hourly rate and be done with it.
In every situation, in every business transactions, you the consumer are paying the employees wage. If no one uses their service/ buy their product, they don't stay in business, i.e. pay their employees.

Remember, tipping is for prompt service. If you eat there on a regular basis, it might be wise to tip a bit, make things nice. But no, you don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't, but my takeout orders are simple and I don't have any special requests.

Otherwise, if it's a busy time at the restaurant with lots of customers dining in and you've got a complicated order and/or you are asking for extras like eating utensils, plates or napkins, the bagging person should get a couple of bucks for their troubles. Especially if the main focus of the restaurant is dining in business. The workers there are crazed enough with their dining in customers and takeout orders are a PITA for them... and don't you want your orders packed up correctly and well?

BTW it's usually a cashier or host bagging up the takeout orders, not a waiter.
If the cashier/ host is doing the service, they are going out of their way. They still have their main duties to complete.

I usually do not eat out, even for take out, unless it's fast-food. So, no tipping there.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to go out to eat or get takeout.

Do you tip everyone you deal with when going through the drive thru of a fast food place?
Using your logic you should and if you don't, why don't you?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to go out to eat or get takeout.
By the same logic, if a Restaurant owner cant afford to pay the waiter even bare minimum wage, he/she should probably not open a Restaurant. What is the rationale behind paying waiter only 2 Dollars per hour and they have to depend on tip??

Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 PM

498 posts, read 977,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
By the same logic, if a Restaurant owner cant afford to pay the waiter even bare minimum wage, he/she should probably not open a Restaurant. What is the rationale behind paying waiter only 2 Dollars per hour and they have to depend on tip??
Because tipping is traditional in the US, and after tips if the waiter ends a pay period averaging below minimum wage for their hours worked, the employer has to pay the difference. So they're making minimum wage at the least, but any decent waiter does better than that.

Did you know that it used to be common practice in many expensive restaurants for the waiter to pay the restaurant for the privilege of waiting? Not sure if this still happens or not, but it says something for the potential earnings when dealing with customers who are used to giving a percentage of the bill to the waiter.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Youd be amazed at what all that curb side service employee has to do and go through to get your order to you.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
$1-2.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Youd be amazed at what all that curb side service employee has to do and go through to get your order to you.
I tip decent servers way over 20%. I know their job is very hard and they don't get paid nearly enough for it. OTOH, a waiter/waitress still has to earn their tip. I don't give small consolation tips for servers who don't do a good job. But I won't tip for a carryout order. That seems silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink