Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you tip for restaurant to-go Orders?
Yes, I leave the traditional 15%+ tip. 9 5.23%
Yes, I leave a very small tip. 34 19.77%
No, I leave no tip. 115 66.86%
Other. 14 8.14%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM

537 posts, read 740,160 times

Advertisements

I have to give the Europeans credit. They take the uncertainty out of the whole tipping fiasco. Service is typically included with the check. I'm not sure how they handle "take away" food, though. It's probably more equitable than here in 'Murica.

Any decent restaurant would have the, typically useless, manager-on-duty handle carry-out orders but, alas, that is like finding a four-leafed clover. They're usually too busy chatting up the slinky new hostess or writing up a busboy for clocking in late.

For those who don't know the difference: fast food workers are usually paid an hourly wage that is at or above minimum wage. A true restaurant "front of the house" server is usually paid much less than minimum wage and relies upon tips for his/her pay. If they are packing your take-out meal in between their other tasks, your "toll change" (or lack thereof) is an insult. Lame excuses about not eating in or dirtying a tablecloth are pathetic. I guarantee you that management appreciates your not eating in and just paying for your meal. "A little something for the effort" seems to ring hollow to the arrogant and cheaperthandirt class.

I'll bet you think YOUR phony baloney job is worth top dollar, though.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
When you order a dinner or pizza to go whether at Longhorn's, Outback, Mellow Mushroom, or similar establishment, do you leave a tip? Some people have told me no, some yes. Leaving a 15% tip seems excessive, but honestly the food, even to-go, is getting so expensive ($18.00 for that large pizza...yikes!), I am hesitant to leave a dollar or two. However, I do realize that most of these servers make less than minimum wage, so I am conflicted. I have been leaving a dollar or two.

What say you.

Tip, very small tip or no tip for to-go orders?
No of course not. Tips are for service. If you give a tip on a take out order, the tip generally goes to the cashier. Cashiers are usually compensated fairly well, with out tips. By that, I mean they make somewhat above minimum wage. Tips are a nice bonus for them, but are not an important part of their wages. Unlike for servers or delivery people. For whom most of their income comes from tips. But hey, if you like the cashier, go ahead and give them a tip. They will probably appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM

203 posts, read 321,452 times
Yes, I started tipping for pick up orders about 7 years ago.

I used to work with a very nice young lady who used to be a waitress at a 'cowboy' bar/restuarant in the DFW area and we were talking about tipping one day (not sure why... lol). I told her that I always tip 20% and she was happy about this - lol. Then she asked me if I tipped for pick up orders and I said no. She frowned a bit... so I said, "well, should I?". Her response was that it's nice to give at least $2-$3 dollars for pick up orders because someone packed it for you and put all of your eating utensils in the bag, etc. I thought about it and agreed...

So now, for all pick up orders, I tip $2.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
your just throwing your money away if you tip for take out

kind of like tipping the cashier at the grocery store for bagging your items

not necessary

Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
Yes, I started tipping for pick up orders about 7 years ago.

I used to work with a very nice young lady who used to be a waitress at a 'cowboy' bar/restuarant in the DFW area and we were talking about tipping one day (not sure why... lol). I told her that I always tip 20% and she was happy about this - lol. Then she asked me if I tipped for pick up orders and I said no. She frowned a bit... so I said, "well, should I?". Her response was that it's nice to give at least $2-$3 dollars for pick up orders because someone packed it for you and put all of your eating utensils in the bag, etc. I thought about it and agreed...

So now, for all pick up orders, I tip $2.
Yep. My daughters are both servers. One of them used to work at California Pizza Kitchen in a pretty upscale location, so tips were good. But the servers had to take turns working carryout, so on the days that she had to work carryout, she didn't get her usual tips that she got when she was serving. Yet she was still doing pretty much the same work - taking orders, putting in the orders, picking up orders, packaging everything, and even taking the order out to the curb if requested.

Since then, and knowing that she made a lot less money when working carryout than she did otherwise, I have tipped generously for carryout. And no, she wasn't a "cashier" who was "compensated fairly well." And even when the tip IS given to the cashier, that tip doesn't go to just the cashier. The tips are shared by the whole staff.

Also, what's up with people not tipping for pizza delivery? My son used to deliver pizza and he'd deliver a $100+ order and get no tip. What is wrong with people? If you are too cheap to tip the pizza delivery guy, get up off the couch and use your own gas to drive to the pizza place and pick up your own pizza.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
your just throwing your money away if you tip for take out

kind of like tipping the cashier at the grocery store for bagging your items

not necessary

So stay home and make your own food.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I see absolutely no convincing arguments thus far that tipping is necessary for someone going to all the trouble of putting containers in a bag.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Also, what's up with people not tipping for pizza delivery? My son used to deliver pizza and he'd deliver a $100+ order and get no tip. What is wrong with people? If you are too cheap to tip the pizza delivery guy, get up off the couch and use your own gas to drive to the pizza place and pick up your own pizza.
Quite a few chains already do a delivery fee, and I don't agree with tipping on top of a separate delivery fee. I tend to opt not to order from places that do, myself. I also order and pay online, and figure my tip in on that end, versus at the door...I don't generally keep cash on hand.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
I will tip on the carry out order if the person is extra friendly strikes up conversation with me why I'm waiting or if they go out of their way to get me extra sauces,napkins and etc. In some places the servers have to take the carry out orders.In that case I for sure tip because most are working for 2 -3 bucks an hour.They are also having to claim the sale on their shift report.
This. I never tip on take out, but when the server at Red Robin offered to get me extra ranch sauce, plates, and plastic silverware I felt that was worth the tip.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Extra service, something above and beyond the minimum, is always worth a tip. That's what a tip SHOULD be, IMO...a bonus for somebody doing things they don't HAVE to be doing. Somewhere along the line, it shifted to just an expected subsidy, no matter the quality of service. That does a real disservice to those who DO make a point to do an extra-conscientious job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink