Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on sugar substitute/ sweeteners in the market?
They are fine. I use it/recommend it 6 42.86%
They are detrimental to health. I am neither using it and nor I will recommend 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

If possible, use xylitol. Limiting your sugar intake is good, but the problem is that then you generally end up polluting your body with unnatural stuff that is much worse, such as aspartame. If that's the choice, then I'd use the real thing in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:12 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Xylitol makes me sick - literally - I can't tolerate it and it can be fatal to both cats and dogs even in small doses (so you I have to ask - how can be that great for humans?). Splenda is no better than aspartame as far as being good for you. Look at the research on the chemically engineered sweetners like aspartameand the genetic engineered sweetners like Splenda. I use Stevia once in a while - I have grown the herb in my garden but there are also FDA warnings about Stevia.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:19 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
We have almost identical thread going in the Health Section, so I'm just going to copy and paste my reply.

Stevia is the healthiest sugar substitute, but a lot of people don't like a sort of licorice aftertaste that it has.
The best tasting Stevia that I've encountered comes in a liquid form from Body Ecology.

About Stevia, All Natural Sweeteners - BodyEcology.com

If you don't like Stevia, another good option is Blue Agave Nectar. It tastes really good in my opinion.

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic raw blue agave, 23.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

And of course, there is honey and maple syrup, although they are my least favorite. If you have to use sugar, chose a raw brown one over the white one.

I don't ever use Splenda or any other artifical sweeteners.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:13 PM

My husband is diabetic and cannot use sugar so he used Splenda - not the best for him but he likes the taste the best of all the artificial sweeteners.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Sugar is bad but artificial sweeteners are worse. Honey and maple sugar (as previously stated) are alternatives that don't raise the blood glucose quickly. Applesauce adds moisture and is good as a substitute for oil but doesn't really sweeten foods THAT much.

Funny thing about sugar ... the more you eat, the more you want and the less you taste the natural sugar in fresh fruits. Give up sugar and you'll be surprised how sweet an apple, a pear or even blueberries taste.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Xylitol makes me sick - literally - I can't tolerate it and it can be fatal to both cats and dogs even in small doses (so you I have to ask - how can be that great for humans?)

Exactly!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 AM

[quote=HereOnMars;16227931]Sugar is bad but artificial sweeteners are worse. Honey and maple sugar (as previously stated) are alternatives that don't raise the blood glucose quickly. Applesauce adds moisture and is good as a substitute for oil but doesn't really sweeten foods THAT much.

Funny thing about sugar ... the more you eat, the more you want and the less you taste the natural sugar in fresh fruits. Give up sugar and you'll be surprised how sweet an apple, a pear or even blueberries taste.[/QUO

Although honey is nutritionally superior to sugar, diabetics should only eat a small amount of honey. Yes, it metabolizes in the body at a slower rate, but it is still isn't the best food for a diabetic to eat and basically it has the same molecular composition of sugar (honey has more water). I'm talking about diabetics, like my husband, who control their blood sugar through diet.

I'm starting to include local honey in my diet - hoping it will help me with allergies.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM

741 posts, read 1,751,487 times
Default Sugar Substitutes/Sweeteners

Are the Artificial Sweeteners

Saccharin (e.g., Sweet'N Low),
Aspartame (e.g., Equal, NutraSweet) and
Sucralose (e.g., Splenda, Altern)

good for health?

If they are not good for health… is there any commercially available natural sugar free substitute that is in market? If so, could you suggest one that can be used as a natural sugar substitute in the beverage?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 PM

61,697 posts, read 87,101,195 times
No to Saccharin and no to Aspartame. Splenda just taste funny. Don't like any of the substitutes. I use organic, unbleached raw sugar - very little of it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No to Saccharin and no to Aspartame. Splenda just taste funny. Don't like any of the substitutes. I use organic, unbleached raw sugar - very little of it.
Im with ya there. aspartame came to the market because of the illegal dealings of Donald Rumsfeld. there is nothing about this product that is good for people. FDA should get it off the market.

agave is a great substitute for sweetener, it doesn't send your body into sugar fits
Traditional sugar doesn't have anything but blank calories in it, there are better choices and artificial isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink