Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Salisbury steak is made with GROUND beef.

1751Texan - What cut do you make your country fried steak with?
I get thin cut Top sirloin and have the butcher "cube" it...

http://mrsellars.com/mrblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Cubedsteak2.png (broken link)

most restauratns use round steaks

Cubing is running through tenderizer...I pick the steak and tell my butcher..."Cube it"

Last edited by 1751texan; 02-10-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I think we have Country Chicken fried steak in these parts. With that veiny mystery meat in some instances...is cubing just running thru the tenderizer?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
YUM! I never knew the difference, either, but always made "Chicken-Fried" as far as we knew.

Not that anyone asked me, but in Tallahassee, my friends would get some cubed steaks; flour & fry them; get rid of the bulk grease to make gravy, adding milk to the crisp stuff left in the pan after frying and let that get real thick. Add bunch of pepper, maybe some garlic, and more flour if needed. Downside to this is it needs a bunch of salt (I can only make Sawmill gravy from the instant pouches -- never tried from scratch.)
Serve with Black Eyed Peas!
Cracker Barrel is the only place upper east coast to my knowledge that even knows what it is I think they call it Country Fried, you get choice of white/brown gravies.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
In Texas, it's generally called chicken-fried steak. We take great pride in perfecting and making the dish a worthwhile regional favorite. It was practically invented here. Now, if you go to Cracker Barrel or Grandy's, well, they prefer to call it that "other thing".

Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
YUM! I never knew the difference, either, but always made "Chicken-Fried" as far as we knew.

Not that anyone asked me, but in Tallahassee, my friends would get some cubed steaks; flour & fry them; get rid of the bulk grease to make gravy, adding milk to the crisp stuff left in the pan after frying and let that get real thick. Add bunch of pepper, maybe some garlic, and more flour if needed. Downside to this is it needs a bunch of salt (I can only make Sawmill gravy from the instant pouches -- never tried from scratch.)
Serve with Black Eyed Peas!
Cracker Barrel is the only place upper east coast to my knowledge that even knows what it is I think they call it Country Fried, you get choice of white/brown gravies.
I think the problem came from people outside Texas thinking CFS was Chicken and complained they got beef instead, so I think restaurants changed chicken to country...as I remember the story told.

Reminds me of the story of the dad having burgers with his adult son complained to his that his portabella mushroom burger had no meat...the son tried to explain to the dad that the mushroom was the meat, to which dad said..."so theres no meat"?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Salisbury steak is made with GROUND beef.

1751Texan - What cut do you make your country fried steak with?

Salisbury Steak, Country Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Steaks are made with Flank Steak that your Butcher runs through a cuber 2 or 3 times...
just ask him next time...........

Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
Salisbury Steak, Country Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Steaks are made with Flank Steak that your Butcher runs through a cuber 2 or 3 times...
just ask him next time...........
current Texas beef prices...

Flat Iron Steak$4.25
Top Sirloin Steak$4.99
Top Round Steak$2.79
Bottom Round Steak$2.79
Eye of Round Steak$3.29
Flank Steak$4.25
Cubed Steak$2.69
Sirloin Tip Fillet$3.49
Skirt Steak$2.39
Tenderloin Roast$10.99

A "TV dinner" of salisbury steak and macaroni and cheese

Salisbury steak is a dish made from a blend of minced beef and other ingredients, which is shaped to resemble a steak, and usually is served in brown sauce. Hamburger steak is a similar product, but differs in ingredients.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
current Texas beef prices...

Flat Iron Steak$4.25
Top Sirloin Steak$4.99
Top Round Steak$2.79
Bottom Round Steak$2.79
Eye of Round Steak$3.29
Flank Steak$4.25
Cubed Steak$2.69
Sirloin Tip Fillet$3.49
Skirt Steak$2.39
Tenderloin Roast$10.99

I would use Flank steak for London Broil but certainly NOT for a cube steak.

BTW, what is the current price for brisket in Texas? Everytime I am down in El Paso, I see it for under $0.99/lb when on sale. Up here in Chicago, it is always greater than $3/lb.

Thanks for all your information.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
Country style steak in these parts is a breaded, fried steak served with brown gravy and either rice or mashed potatoes.

Country style steak has no relation to salisbury steak. Pronounced "sul-burry" steak. LOL

Chicken fried steak will always be served with white gravy and served with mashed potatoes.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:46 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I've been watching this thread a while, and I am sorry there is such confusion about these things.

First of all Salisbury steak, while it can be good, does not belong on the table with a good chicken fried steak.

I've had some country fried steaks that were decent.....most have been pre packaged, pre breaded factory made pieces of beef parts shaped and formed into a patty (NOT a good hamburger patty) and either deep fried or grilled. Usually served with brown gravy (the kind that comes in a powder that you add water to), instant mashed potatoes and canned green beans or corn.

For a good chicken fried steak, should you get a chance, go to Clanton's in Vinita Oklahoma. That is where Guy Fieri went to find one, that is where Gourmet Magazine went, that is where Southern Living went.....take a good cut of beef, tenderize it, dip it in batter, dredge it in four (batter and flour mix are subject to secret recipes), and grill it. Serve it with a creamy fresh mashed potatoes, CREAM gravy (not "white" gravy), and a good mess of greens (spinach, collards, poke, or turnip.....better yet, a mix of all four) properly drained.

Quote:
Clanton's has been featured in Gourmet Magazine for its outstanding Chicken Fried Steak. Columnist Michael Stern was traveling through Vinita in search of the best Chicken Fried Steak on Route 66. He had tried many steaks of various qualities and was impressed with the delicious Chicken Fry served at Clanton's. You can find the article in the February 2006 issue of Gourmet Magazine.
Clanton's Cafe home of famous Chicken Fried Steak in Vinita, Oklahoma

BTW, their calf fries are world famous...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink