Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,909 times

Advertisements

homemade pierogi

First all the men would sit down & eat, then the children, then when everyone was done, the women would finally sit down to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My grandmother made this delicious German or Polish soup. She also made a mean coconut cream pie.
What was in the soup?

Had to be potatoes, cabbage??

Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
homemade pierogi

First all the men would sit down & eat, then the children, then when everyone was done, the women would finally sit down to eat.
That's always been the way. We're the ones making sure everyone else is taken care of first.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
Both my Grandma's were excellent cooks. My Dad's mom would make the best Polish coffee cake. Unfortunately she took the recipe with her. No one can replicate it.

My Mom's mom was a wonderful cook as well. My favorite thing she used to make me was homemade oatmeal. For some reason it always tastes better at Grandma's house. Fresh fruit and cream. Yum.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
My maternal grandmother passed away last year at the age of 94! She was never sick and lived and long and happy life. Her world was very simple. She lived with us so I never had any memories growing up that did not involve her. A Chinese greeting is "have you eaten yet?". She would always phone me and ask that question and then invite me over to pick up a care package or two.

She use to make this amazing dish of steamed duck. The recipe is not loss as my father knows how to make it. She would take a whole duck and make a paste out of five spice powder, ginger and garlic (I am sure lots of other things too) She would also take the dried pith of pomelo and add that to the pan. Pomelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia She would dry her own whenever we had a pomelo. The pomelo pith would impart a slight citrus/grapefruit-like flavor into the dish. She would also add peeled potatoes.

Of course the gravy was very fatty so she would separate the fat from the drippings before serving. I always liked the skin/fatty portions of the meat. I am sure that it is a texture thing for me. The gravy was always so rich and flavorful and was a special treat to pour over your rice. The potatoes would wick up all the goodness too.

I miss my phone calls from her.....

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
George,

That's a very sweet story about your grandmother.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
The skins of baked potatoes that were baked (without foil, of course) in a wood stove.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
What was in the soup?

Had to be potatoes, cabbage??
Oddly enough, neither one. It's been quite awhile since I had it. I called my mom today for the recipe. It's German and called Maultaschen...it's a beef broth with noodles and a meat mixture. My grandmother would make noodle dough, roll it out and spread the meat mixture on top. Roll up the dough and slice the pieces off pinwheel style then drop the noodles into boiling water to cook then put them in the beef broth once cooked. Traditional Maultaschen however is more of a ravioli and the story behind the soup is that the monks created this ravioli style noodle with meat, spinach and seasoning and put it into a "pocket" of pasta to hide the fact that they were eating meat during Lent! Bad monks, bad! It's not a heavy soup, I am going to have to try to make it one of these days.....

Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
My maternal grandmother made two really great things when I was a kid, and they still stick out in my mind today. She used to make a great pecan pie like nobody else can. The other thing was the best fried chicken that, to this day, I have ever tasted. Try as I may or anyone else, it cannot be duplicated.
Cook the chicken in pork lard and it will probably taste like you remember. She also probably used free range chickens which have more flavor than the flaccid store bought chickens that everyone uses today.

My maternal grannie made a great chicken noodle stew over mashed potato dish that was just yummy. Big thick floury noodles swimming around with chunks of chicken in a gravy over piles of soft whipped potatoes. I think her mantra was "boil it in butter" when it came to vegetables. She also would meet us at the door with caramel popcorn balls. And she would make a wonderful pecan pie out of beans somehow.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 04-15-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
My Grandma made a dessert with jello and melted ice cream that was 'my' special treat she made just for me (or so I believed). I never thought to write it down (a lesson for us all) and would love to find out how to make it,,for no other reason but to think she is near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink