Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
My fondest, warmest memories come from the special meals my grandmother used to make me. Simple stuff that still puts a smile on my face and makes me feel good. Favorites include:

* baked custard (in the oven with nutmeg on top)
* tapioca pudding
* cream chipped beef on top of toast (for breakfast)
* meatloaf
* scallop potatoes

What did your grandmother make that was special to you?
The best red beans, Gumbo and fried chicken I have ever had. However, one rule was that whatever you took, you HAD to clean your plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
My grandmammy from Alabammy:

Pork roast & gravy
Black eyed peas and rice
Okra with stewed tomatoes
Green beans with bacon and onion
Homemade crispy cornbread
Homemade lemon meringue pie
Sweet tea

My Georgia grandmother:

Fried chicken with milk gravy
Pork chops and rice casserole
Zucchini Parmesan
Homemade yeast rolls
Raisin duff
Homemade lemon cake with drizzled icing
Sweet tea

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
She use to make this amazing dish of steamed duck.
*sigh* I wish I had a Chinese grandmother!!

My Brittish grandmother was known for not being a very good cook. She was a vegetarian, and my grandfather was a butcher! She would just put everything in the oven until it was *done*. Pans were often thrown out after useless soaking!

Anyhow, she did make good bread pudding! And she could really buy good cheese.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
Fontucky,

What is sweet tea?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I always used to ask my Grand-Ma to cook these when I visited on holiday as these were her best dishes :

Roast Beef ( served very rare) with onion Gravy , home made mash and wild mushrooms.
Terrines ( her home-made pates were simply the best )
Quiche Lorraine
Onion Tart ( so delicious there should be a law against it !)
Coq au Vin ( I still dream about it)
Crepes ( both savoury and sweet)
Seafood tart ( she used to leave out octopus and calamari which I have never been that fond of and add more prawns and scallops instead)
Kouign Aman ( A Breton butter cake)
Jugged Hare
Rabbit with Mustard sauce
And lots and lots of fresh seafood caught by my grand-father ( crab, lobster, winkles, langoustines, etc..) served simply with home-made lemon or dill mayonnaise - I never got bored of that - ever.

And her "Beignets" ( French donuts - sorta , were the best, ever.... )

My Italian Grand-Father ( from Firenze) used to be a wonderful cook and I used to beg him to make those :

Tuscan Wild Boar Stew with Parpadelle ( I could have just lived on that as a kid, to this day I have yet to have a better version of it)
Torta con Cime di Rapa e Salsiccia ( sausage pie with mozarella and pecorino) - Comfort food if there ever was one !
Pizza ai Carciofini ( Pizza with Artichoke Hearts)
Wild Strawberries with Balsamic vinegar ( absolutely gorgeous)
Pork Stew with Leek and Red Peppers
Pollo Arrosto con Arancia ed Uvetta ( Chicken with oranges and currants - delicious)
Pesto Gnocchi ( why does Italian Pesto tastes so much better than anywhere else ? the basil must be better?!)
Courgette ( Zucchini) Tart
Monkfish wrapped in Prosciutto
Salad of Canellini bean with red onion ,tuna and cucumber with herbs
And a lot more.

I was brought up by my Dad who basically knew how to make steak in all its forms ( admitedly brilliantly but still ....) and great salads so going to my Grand-Parents on vacation was like heaven !

Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof!
What did your grandmother make that was special to you?
I guess the brownies she used to make.... MAN OH MAN WERE THEY YUMMY!!!!

I dont know what kind they were (Brand,etc) but I would love having them now!!! (This was 30+ years ago )

Old 04-17-2016, 02:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
My grandmother ran a grocery store while raising a family and wasn't that great a cook but she used to make a quick dish of creamed tuna on toast that I loved as a kid. I made it a few years ago, just for yuks, and it was actually pretty good!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:31 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,026,852 times
My grandma didn't really like to cook, but there was one dessert she would bring to family potlucks that I was just mad for. We called it Cut Glass Pie, but I see that it is also called Broken Glass Dessert:
Broken Glass Dessert Recipe | Taste of Home

It was light and refreshing, and so beautiful--unlike the recipe shown, my grandma put something into it that made the foam pink. As a kid, I just thought it was the most elegant thing I had ever seen.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:32 PM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
The only I can really remember cooking was my dad's mother.......I remember she would make this cabbage/onions/potato dish which smelled awful, but tasted really good. (and apparently was something local to the part of Missouri she was from)

Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
My paternal grandmother made the best casserole dishes from leftovers while I only remember from my maternal grandmother her outstanding banana or orange quark.She died when I was very little.

My paternal grandmother was a wonderful baker from bread to buns,cookies and cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink