Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times

Advertisements

You know... when you go to a place ...cheap or high priced...and the food is just "WOW" good...

I just had one of these meals with some singapore rice noodles with shrimp, clams, some kind of aged pork etc. in it...

anywho...

I realize I could probably never make it that good at home...

Is it because the chef constantly makes the recipe over and over...1000s of times? Or is it the superior kitchen equipment that can run 1000s of dollars? Some kind of ingredients not available to the public??? <---I know some steak houses get better choice in beef...

I haven't eaten out in awhile til tonight b/c of the economy but decided to treat myself...

Thoughts???

Damn I miss eating out!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll IMHO it is because most chefs/cooks love what they are doing for a living and it shows in the food they prepare. We all can slap stuff together but if you don't love cooking it won't be as flavorable as it can be. I consider myself a fairly good cook but I can tell when I am tired, hurting, stressed or rushed when cooking my food doesn't taste as it should. When I take the time to bring the flavors together in my dish then we have happy campers and bellies at my house.

You don't need fancy stuff to make things taste good you just have to put some love and a bit of your heart into your cooking. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I think the ambiance and mind-set of "going out" helps too. When you are eating food that someone else has prepared, served and cleaned up after, while sitting in a pleasant atmosphere which, when you look to your left or right you aren't reminded of other household duties that have to be done after dinner.....it's the whole deal....

Jaxson - "put some love into it" you're sounding very Carla-like! LOL

Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Primarily the skill, and well, because they are chefs and cook for a living.

Ingredients to some degree, but if you cant use them, well, then their worthless. Equipment factors even less, as you still require a degree of skill and cooking knowledge; they are merely tools

Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You don't need fancy stuff to make things taste good you just have to put some love and a bit of your heart into your cooking. Good luck!
lol...I was thinking of posting the same type of reply before I even read yours.

You don't need a lot of fancy equipment to make great food. You just have to take enough pride in your work to make it better than anybody else does.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Some things I've been able to replicate at home, pretty close. I like interesting meals, different ways to prepare things, so I'm often trying to copycat the recipe at home. If you don't make an exact copy of the meal, who cares, it's still edible and good, and you have fun trying. And you can end up with a different dish that's delicious. Cooking's great that way - creative, experimental and fun.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
For me, it's equipment and ingredients. I cook for a living, but what I make at work rarely tastes like what I make at home. Mainly because my oven at home isn't convection, and can't sear the crap out of meat. I don't have a 20 year old flat top grill that mixes in caramelized meat drippings from everyone else's burger onto my chicken sandwich. My kitchen at home is clean. A restaurant kitchen, while sanitary, is almost never really "clean."

Also, food service ingredients are just plain different. Food service mayo is nothing like Hellman's. Oftentimes they're a lot, well, blander. Or in the case of many asian sauces, it's imported and probably doesn't even sell to english markets. Harris Teeter brand hoisin sauce is NOTHING like Koon Chun. So you get a different taste. Also, home cooks are less likely to pour quite so heavy on the oil and butter and cream, which is really what makes restaurant food so good. A quesadilla is cooked in about two ounces of butter or oil at a restaurant. Seriously, who in their right mind would do that at home? But it's delicious when you go out, so that's why we do it. Fresh herbs. Most home cooks don't use them. Shallots. Very few home cooks use these. They really make the difference. Also, cooking wine. Every restaurant uses something different (though normally it's Livingston/Carlo Rossi/another big jug or boxed wine, unless it's a pretty high end). And last but not least...most of it's pre-packaged! Food service distribution only, pre-packaged, and warmed in the morning to sit on the line until it gets to your plate.

Restaurant food, while delicious, is kind of gross when you start to think about why it's so darn good. But generally, it's because it's been sitting, made in huge vats, and mixed in with bits of everybody else's meal before it's drenched in butter.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
For me, it's equipment and ingredients. I cook for a living, but what I make at work rarely tastes like what I make at home. Mainly because my oven at home isn't convection, and can't sear the crap out of meat. I don't have a 20 year old flat top grill that mixes in caramelized meat drippings from everyone else's burger onto my chicken sandwich. My kitchen at home is clean. A restaurant kitchen, while sanitary, is almost never really "clean."

Also, food service ingredients are just plain different. Food service mayo is nothing like Hellman's. Oftentimes they're a lot, well, blander. Or in the case of many asian sauces, it's imported and probably doesn't even sell to english markets. Harris Teeter brand hoisin sauce is NOTHING like Koon Chun. So you get a different taste. Also, home cooks are less likely to pour quite so heavy on the oil and butter and cream, which is really what makes restaurant food so good. A quesadilla is cooked in about two ounces of butter or oil at a restaurant. Seriously, who in their right mind would do that at home? But it's delicious when you go out, so that's why we do it. Fresh herbs. Most home cooks don't use them. Shallots. Very few home cooks use these. They really make the difference. Also, cooking wine. Every restaurant uses something different (though normally it's Livingston/Carlo Rossi/another big jug or boxed wine, unless it's a pretty high end). And last but not least...most of it's pre-packaged! Food service distribution only, pre-packaged, and warmed in the morning to sit on the line until it gets to your plate.

Restaurant food, while delicious, is kind of gross when you start to think about why it's so darn good. But generally, it's because it's been sitting, made in huge vats, and mixed in with bits of everybody else's meal before it's drenched in butter.
yeah I was thinking some of the salamander ovens or brick ovens or pressure cookers or super hot giant woks they have could play in a factor on how the food turns out. Was thinking with some of the sauces as well too, like some just hard to get, or they get their "insert ingredient" from a restaurant supplier you have to buy in a certain amount to even buy.

2 of things like this are home pizzas, and pad thai... just doesn't come out right b/c I don't think I have the right equipment.

Definitely on the oil butter and cream though!!! the fats open up your taste buds more for the flavor.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
My experience with eating out is exactly the opposite of the OP. While I have eaten at numerous different restaurants in my area over the years, I find only one or two that can prepare a meal as well as I do at home. As a result, I only go out to eat when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to prepare something myself, or when I want to treat myself to those one or two places that can prepare a better meal.

I do agree with spiderbear in that both the ingredients and equipment are different in restaurants than you typically find in most homes and this can make a difference in flavor (not in a good way). Since I am not cooking for the general public, my ingredients are usually much fresher and typically not purchased in bulk. I don't buy mayonnaise, I make it fresh when I need it. I use lots of heavy cream, real butter (no margarine or other cooking spreads) and alcohol (liqueurs for deserts, wine or brandy for deglazing, wines in stews, etc.). I keep fresh herbs growing in my kitchen window sill all year long, and I adore shallots. Particularly in a White Butter sauce over grilled salmon.

I also agree with sterlinggirl, you do not need a lot of equipment to make good food. Understanding your ingredients, creativity, and lots of practice are what I consider to be the most important.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
My experience with eating out is exactly the opposite of the OP. While I have eaten at numerous different restaurants in my area over the years, I find only one or two that can prepare a meal as well as I do at home. As a result, I only go out to eat when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to prepare something myself, or when I want to treat myself to those one or two places that can prepare a better meal.

I do agree with spiderbear in that both the ingredients and equipment are different in restaurants than you typically find in most homes and this can make a difference in flavor (not in a good way). Since I am not cooking for the general public, my ingredients are usually much fresher and typically not purchased in bulk. I don't buy mayonnaise, I make it fresh when I need it. I use lots of heavy cream, real butter (no margarine or other cooking spreads) and alcohol (liqueurs for deserts, wine or brandy for deglazing, wines in stews, etc.). I keep fresh herbs growing in my kitchen window sill all year long, and I adore shallots. Particularly in a White Butter sauce over grilled salmon.

I also agree with sterlinggirl, you do not need a lot of equipment to make good food. Understanding your ingredients, creativity, and lots of practice are what I consider to be the most important.
maybe b/c you live in wasilla alaska??? not exactly on the culinary map..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink