Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 AM

176 posts, read 638,748 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in getting an Egg Cooker for a while now, but am undecided still. (for those that don't know, an Egg Cooker is an appliance like a toaster, that boils and poaches eggs. They cost around $30 to $70).

I'm still interested mind you! For one, whenever I go to a department store I cruise the Kitchen appliances section for one. I have yet to see on in store.

Of course theres quite a few on Amazon.com, with reviews. Oster's seems to be the original from decades ago and still popular for its auto shutoff, but not for its potential to melt the lid.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried the Oster and other brands, and still decided on the Oster?
Is there any one model I am missing that you can reccomend too?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
I cook eggs the old-fashioned ways, so can't be of much help.

Does anyone else have one of these or know someone who does?

Or have an opinion either way?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,881 times
I got a Cuisinart egg cooker (shaped like an egg--black on bottom, stainless on top) for a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. It is a piece of junk. The eggs don't poach right for some reason. Maybe it is just bad design (egg shaped). I don't know. Whatever, I never could get the eggs poached like we like them, and the eggs stuck (even with Pam).

I also have a Toastmaster egg cooker that I have had for a bajillion years. It is harvest gold if that tells you anything. I put the little Cuisinart in the storage room and went back to the Toastmaster. It's ugly, but it's a great little egg cooker. PS--I just do poached. I never tried to use either for hard boiled eggs.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM

69 posts, read 178,442 times
I checked QVC out for egg cookers read reviews and an decided on the West Bend automatic egg cooker...I think after shipping it was about $35 have had it for about 3 weeks so far and it works great...eggs cooked perfect every time..eggs are EZ to peel ..poached are great also

Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 PM

Thank you Brian, Penny for your reviews. It means a lot and probably one of those two will be my next purchase.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 AM

Just an update for you guys. The Toastmaster Egg Cooker is no longer in production, but is listed on the internet on some sites if you want a peek.

Amazon also offers free shipping on the West Bend cooker, which seems popular there, and also sells the Cuisinart.

I have to admit, I am still thinking about the Oster after reading more and more reviews regarding poaching on amazon, and all of these Cookers..
We will see.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,959 times
Default I can't be of much help...

...since I also do my eggs the old-fashioned way. I'm really anti-gadget and anti-all-the-clutter that comes with gadgets, but I REALLY wish you luck in finding exactly what YOU want. I have to issue a partial retraction since I do have an egg poacher, but it is NOT an electric one...it is one of those Wear-Ever light-weight aluminum sauce pans with the suspensory rack for 4 egg cups, and a lid. The thing is quite old since the cups have Teflon coating rather than the later stuff. I think Mama got it as a gift or maybe at a yard sale for less than 50 cents. It is easy to use and makes pretty, uniform poached (well really, STEAMED) eggs...but they do look nice on a piece of buttered toast.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I have an egg cooker, it is called a saucepan.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I have a toaster, though. I bent a coat-hanger into a pair of tongs, and I can hold the bread over the burner on the stove top.

I have a solar clothes dryer, too. A hundred feet long, $3.99.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 AM

man, why y'all dis my egg cooker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink