Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
But I like nasty chemicals!

Just kidding. Kinda.

Actually, that paper bag idea is cool. I'll give that a try. Really, though, I had no idea that you could even buy popcorn in its natural state.

Question: The staple. The METAL staple going INTO the microwave. How is that not going to cause an explosion?
Alton Brown explained it on one of his shows. It has something to do with the size of the staples being to small for the microwaves to hit. Or something.

LOL.

I made popcorn that way for a while, but stovetop popcorn tastes SO MUCH BETTER that I've gone back to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Alton Brown explained it on one of his shows. It has something to do with the size of the staples being to small for the microwaves to hit. Or something.

LOL.

I made popcorn that way for a while, but stovetop popcorn tastes SO MUCH BETTER that I've gone back to it.
Honestly, the only other way that I ever made popcorn, besides microwaving, is with that Jiffy Pop thing, where the flat top ended up as a tin foil "bag" on top. (THAT was FUN!)

All this talk of a bit of oil, some kernels, in a pan is making me feel so, uh, dumb!

Could I do it in a dutch oven? Would that work? (Although I'm really kinda digging on the paper bag thing.)

Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Honestly, the only other way that I ever made popcorn, besides microwaving, is with that Jiffy Pop thing, where the flat top ended up as a tin foil "bag" on top. (THAT was FUN!)

All this talk of a bit of oil, some kernels, in a pan is making me feel so, uh, dumb!

Could I do it in a dutch oven? Would that work? (Although I'm really kinda digging on the paper bag thing.)
Yes, I'd make it in a dutch oven type pot.

Does anybody here make their popcorn in a Le Creuset dutch oven?

I think it would be the perfect vessel, but I'd feel like a real dumbass if I ruined the lining of my super-ass expensive pot.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yes, I'd make it in a dutch oven type pot.

Does anybody here make their popcorn in a Le Creuset dutch oven?

I think it would be the perfect vessel, but I'd feel like a real dumbass if I ruined the lining of my super-ass expensive pot.
OOHHHH LALA a highbrow popcorn maker. LOL

Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
This bowl by Nordic-Ware will pop regular popcorn kernels in the microwave with or without oil. Cheap enough and generates no trash. Reviews say it's unbreakable, though, and I know from experience that's not true. Really durable, but not unbreakable.

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-60.../dp/B00004W4UP

Old 01-12-2012, 03:40 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This bowl by Nordic-Ware will pop regular popcorn kernels in the microwave with or without oil. Cheap enough and generates no trash. Reviews say it's unbreakable, though, and I know from experience that's not true. Really durable, but not unbreakable.

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-60.../dp/B00004W4UP
That's what I use most of the time. I use some olive oil and Arrowhead Organic Popcorn.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don't care for microwave popcorn, and it's not healthy. I use a heavy skillet with a tight-fitting lid and a little olive oil on the top of the stove.
Ditto for me!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I buy microwave UNflavored "lite" popcorn and add my own butter, sometimes.
Usually though I make it on the stove. If I made bacon that day, I use the bacon grease instead of oil. No butter or salt necessary, if you use bacon grease. Plus it has that smoky flavor - it's pretty amazing stuff.

I have a popper but I've never used it. I don't see the point. Then again, my whole family knows not to ever buy me a bread machine. My philosophy on bread: if you're not going to make it completely by hand, then just go out and buy a loaf. The joy of fresh baked bread, is in its creation. Same with popcorn.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,680 times
I have a whirly pop stove top popper and love it. I personally can't stand microwave popcorn.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM

278 posts, read 550,422 times
i make popcorn that tastes EXACTLY like movie theatre popcorn

i use a west bend stir crazy electric popper, this one.

Amazon.com: West Bend 82306 Stir Crazy 6-Quart Electric Popcorn Popper: Kitchen & Dining

i use coconut oil to pop the corn, this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

i use this corn

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details

and the butter flavored salt the theaters use is this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i01_details

using these ingredients the popcorn tastes exactly like movie theater popcorn, it doesnt need melted butter but you can indulge if you want. the oil and salt last me a year or so. also the kids love watching the popcorn pop in the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink