Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

I LOVED Jiffy Pop when I was growing up. It was a special treat because our mom usually popped it in a skillet with oil. But we thought Jiffy Pop was so much fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I don't eat popcorn all that often, but if i do I buy the single serve bags and microwave it. I eat popcorn maybe 3 times a year. I like the sweet kettle corn variety.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
We also have a West Bend Stir Crazy popper. Hubby uses it all the time. He is a popcorn fanatic, and is very picky about the kind he eats. He loves Amish popcorn and his favorite variety is Baby White. He orders it online. Last order was for 32 pounds of popcorn!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I LOVED Jiffy Pop when I was growing up. It was a special treat because our mom usually popped it in a skillet with oil. But we thought Jiffy Pop was so much fun.
Jiffy Pop was a treat in our house, too. We also made ours in a pan on the stove. I've never liked microwave popcorn and haven't been able to stomach theater popcorn in years. Just last year I again started to pop corn on the stove. Puffy, white popped kernels drizzled with real butter, sprinkled with salt = popcorn heaven to me.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Gosh, microwaved popcorn really isn't that bad. There are a lot of variables that could make it bad, sure, like getting a double extra butter variety and cooking it in a microwave you don't know well enough to put in the right time, leaving you either burned or with a bag full of kernels. But it tastes just fine when you get the right variety with the right timing. It's all we ever had growing up.

That said, I do vastly prefer popcorn made on the stove in a pot. It's much lighter and I like being in control of the ingredients. I actually gave it a try last night for the first time in years and it was easy enough and came out so tasty, I ate too much and made myself sick. Ha. I guess you just have to use your cooking skills wisely.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
I like the microwaved for ease of convenience in preparation. Orville has a prepared “butter’ topping but nothing beats real butter IMO if you like buttered popcorn. Only problem is that it’s greasy and you can’t use the remote until you wash your hands.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:38 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Gosh, microwaved popcorn really isn't that bad. There are a lot of variables that could make it bad, sure, like getting a double extra butter variety and cooking it in a microwave you don't know well enough to put in the right time, leaving you either burned or with a bag full of kernels. But it tastes just fine when you get the right variety with the right timing. It's all we ever had growing up.
The ink and glue in the packaging could be toxic, and inhaling large amounts of the vapor could cause "popcorn lung." This is a type of bronchiolitis that has affected workers in popcorn plants.

Microwave popcorn packages and flavoring contain nearly 50 toxins, that are harmless except when exposed to high temperatures, like the temperatures needed to pop the corn in the microwave.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
I like the microwaved for ease of convenience in preparation. Orville has a prepared “butter’ topping but nothing beats real butter IMO if you like buttered popcorn. Only problem is that it’s greasy and you can’t use the remote until you wash your hands.
Popcorn in one hand, remote in the other--problem solved.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Or one could just bury her face in the popcorn bowl...

Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I’ve done that but you still have a greasy hand that has to be cleaned afterward during the commercial. In my Monk like minor obsession that hand has to eventually be cleaned off so the equipment doesn’t get greasy too. Even though it’s messy sometimes you just have to have buttered popcorn and I’ve been known to melt a stick of real butter just for that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink