Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

The "butter" smells like baby vomit. I wouldn't touch a kernel of that junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The "butter" smells like baby vomit. I wouldn't touch a kernel of that junk.
Well, with THAT embedded into my brain now, I guess I'll never be having popcorn at the theater anymore.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
It's still the same wonderful popcorn and butter-stuff. Nothing's changed at all.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
The big-chain cinemas around here all use popcorn that they receive pre-popped, in huge plastic bags. They re-heat it and add butter (or some sort of yellow junk). There are a couple of small, very old, movie houses, though, who still pop the popcorn fresh and put tons of real butter on it. It's divine!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:29 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
I just can't get myself to get anything but the biggest dang bucket that they sell! I don't care what it costs....you're at the movies so it's a must-do and it's so much fun!
But I do have to decide what to tell the person behind the counter - - how much butter I'd like on it! Ya never know if they're heavy-handed with it or if they're the type that put the butter on like they're paying for it personally!
I like them to put on a pretty good amount of the hot butter!
Now I want some!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I don't mind the faux-butter topping, but real butter is soooo much better.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
It doesn't taste as good as it smells....that's for sure!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
The big-chain cinemas around here all use popcorn that they receive pre-popped, in huge plastic bags. They re-heat it and add butter (or some sort of yellow junk). There are a couple of small, very old, movie houses, though, who still pop the popcorn fresh and put tons of real butter on it. It's divine!

Yes, we used the pre-popped popcorn back when I worked in a theater...way back in the 70s! We always tried to refill during the movies, but sometimes we had to drag out those big bags of popcorn...I always felt bad about that.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:20 PM

237 posts, read 499,133 times
I worked at General Cinema back around 1992. We used to pop our own popcorn upstairs, and bag it days in advance. We'd put it in the bin behind the concession to warm up, and whatever wasn't purchased that day went back in the same bag, stored upstairs, and put back out for sale the next day. Nothing like spending your shift in a small, dirty, room upstairs popping corn for 8 hours straight. If you had seen this facility, not only would you gag, you'd probably opt out of the $5 [20 years ago] refillable Monster Bucket [real name] of popcorn, especially if you were being served by our resident "Penny Funk" or our intellectually-challenged "booger eater".

The oil that the popcorn was popped in, as well as the "butter flavored topping" at the concession are substances that are not native to planet Earth. We called the concession stuff "1000 Boo" because the list of ingredients was a mile long list of un-pronounceable chemicals, the first of which was "1000bu----". It's the culinary version of dividing by zero, something that even Walter White would scratch his head over. In fact, Walter's specialty is probably less harmful than this stuff.

If you want to know anything more about the behind the scenes workings of your local theater, let me know. I can tell you a few doozies, including:
*the lady who s#!t herself right in front of the concession stand [I cleaned it up]
*A female employee made to lance the cyst of the 350lb manager in his office while on duty
*Criminal levels of ticket reselling
*Photographic evidence of marquee tampering [Quiz Show = J!zz Show, for example]
*Pot smoking and margarita making by on duty employees, including management
*A photo of several employees that involves one bare derriere, a broomstick, a bottle of aforementioned 1000 Boo and a "Please Enter Here" sign.

It was the most fun you can have working a Saturday night for $3.75 an hour. Next time you go to the theater and buy popcorn, remember these stories as they ask you if you'd like "butter" on that...

Last edited by Subzro; 06-12-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
also we ate Butterkist, it was never as popular here in scotland as in the US... I dont know how anyone needs one of those big oversized buckets of popcorn.. its horrible.. and salty popcorn is out.. I have a big packet of Butterkist in the cupboard but refuse to eat it now.. and no it doesnt seem the same.. or is it me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink