Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Cooked on the stovetop with olive oil and then drizzled with truffle oil, smoked sea salt and some fresh parmesan.
We recently had something like this a movie theater in a mall in downtown New Orleans. I don't remember the name of it, but it was one of those theaters that servers gourmet food and alcohol.

We mixed two kinds of the gourmet popcorn together and were in complete heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am getting ready to make popcorn again since I have been hooked on it the last couple weeks. So my popcorn of choice is popped on the gas stove using the Whirley-Pop, a wee bit of olive oil real melted butter with a wee bit of salt after the popcorn is popped.

How do you like your popcorn?
Well, thanks to this thread I just ordered myself A new Whirley-Pop. I used to have one years ago, but it bit the dust. I haven't eaten much popcorn in years due to dental and other issues, but recently started eating some of the microwave stuff and got my cravings back. I am going to buy some of the low-hull type of popcorn and cook it in a bit of coconut oil in the Whirley-Pop - can't wait!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
I found this old thread while searching for reviews on popcorn poppers. I used to have one that resembled this one but it was much older. It made the best popcorn. I don't know if the newer models are as good as my old Presto so if anyone has anything to add since the thread was started, I'd be interested in knowing what you think.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Default Popcorn!

I am a popcorn addict! I love popcorn. I like making it in a deep, old, battered pan on the stove, a bit of oil in the bottom...none of that microwave stuff.

Nothing like making fresh caramel corn, and eating it during the holidays, when everyone is sitting around visiting.

We loved decorating the tree with strings of popcorn and cranberries...

I used to make popcorn balls, with juju fruits and gumdrops....Yum...

Hope you have a Happy Holiday...and make some popcorn! Really, it is not New Year's Eve, without a big bowl of popcorn...

Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
My BIL owns the movie theater in our town, so I've had to smell lots of buttered popcorn, and I've grown to hate it. I can even smell it on his clothes. Yuck!

I do like Crunch N Munch and Fiddle Faddle however, but I rarely buy it.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am a popcorn addict! I love popcorn. I like making it in a deep, old, battered pan on the stove, a bit of oil in the bottom...none of that microwave stuff.

Nothing like making fresh caramel corn, and eating it during the holidays, when everyone is sitting around visiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

We loved decorating the tree with strings of popcorn and cranberries...

I used to make popcorn balls, with juju fruits and gumdrops....Yum...

Hope you have a Happy Holiday...and make some popcorn! Really, it is not New Year's Eve, without a big bowl of popcorn...
I'm hoping that you mean, "Jujyfruits"! Juju fruits would be cursed with black magic! .....

Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
Same here. Making it on the stove is all we ever knew as kids and was it good! I remember stringing it to put on the christmas tree. Now I am thinking we should have used some colored food dye to brighten it all up a bit! Thanks for the memories Jasper.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Making it on the stove is #1 best but I cannot do it anymore. It seems that most pots do not have the required flat bottom!
All pots that I have feature a recess all the way around the circumference, making the oil sit in the outer ring and not evenly across the entire bottom surface. I'd have to put well over a cup of oil in them to get the bottom center depth at it's best.
I always look in Target for an inexpensive pot for popcorn popping and just cannot find one these days.....without spending $30+!

Maybe I will try the Salvation Army/Goodwill store today on my way to the Chinese buffet!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Being the eldest, I inherited the treasured old black sheet iron popcorn popper that we grew up with. No flat bottom on that baby, no sir, but rather a slightly dished bottom that pools the melted fat or oil and popcorn kernals in the center. And the stirrer, shaped to fit that bottom curve, hinged to a crank with a wooden bead on the top end, held captive by the flat lid, pierced by quarter inch holes to let the steam out, along with letting out the hot spatters you could never quite avoid while turning that crank. And the lid itself, hooked under the end opposite the handle, and then secured by a sliding latch on the handle.

The popcorn, that was Hoosier Gold, from the southern part of the state. Hard to find today, but well worth the search. White Cat Corn from Ohio is a reasonable substitute, and much easier to find.

The melted fat, that was the secret. It was part of the ritual when Dad made popcorn for him to tell us how the US Department of Agriculture had tested every oil and fat known to mankind and concluded that bacon fat was the best possible fat for making popcorn in. And they were right.

So he'd dip a couple of spoonfuls of bacon drippings from the tin can at the back of the stove where it was kept, heat it until it was barely smoky, add 1/4 cup or so of corn, slap on the lid and secure it, and ask "Who wants to stir?"

Kind of a Tom Sawyer invitation, accepting the privilege and the honor also meant accepting an awesome responsibility, because the waiting crowd could turn easily nasty if you burned the corn, even if the hot fat spatters were giving you owies.

Anyway, for a variety of reasons I rarely make popcorn these days, and i haven't used bacon grease for years, but you know, I have the best popcorn popper in the world. And that's only right, since I'm the eldest.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
We use bacon grease as well no microwave popcorn here it is my DD's favorite snack along with marshmallows.

We've sprinkled on parm cheese once it comes out of the pan also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink