Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times

Advertisements

I love me some popcorn boy!! I usually buy the 100 calorie packets when they are BOGO from Publix and spray on some 0 calorie butter spray. YUUMMM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,652,623 times
I hope this doesn't come across snobby! I only mean it as my own experience. I've never owned a microwave so any kind of microwaved food is not an option for me. I've always cooked from scratch and never used things like condensed soup, etc., in my cooking. So, if I eat any of these convenience foods now, I get sick because I'm not used to all the chemicals, additives, preservatives, artificial stuff, etc., used in them. My exposure to those "ingredients" is very limited.

So, when it comes to popcorn, I make mine on the stove. I love making flavored popcorns like apple pie, pumpkin pie, curry flavored, grilled steak, etc., I've tried microwave popcorn before and don't care for the flavor.

I first started making flavored popcorns a few years ago after watching the video below. It's Aarti from the FoodNetwork's Aarti Party show. Before that, she was just a fun, silly, sweet girl on YouTube making videos called Aarti Paarti. All that stopped when she won The Next Food Network Star or some show like that. (I don't have a TV either.) When she won, I'm sure the network stopped her from continuing her online videos. That's sad because her early viewers on YouTube were like a little family.

Anyway, this is where I got started creating flavors for popcorn. Here's Aarti making her delicious Curry Popcorn. (My favorite and a staple at home AND work!) (The popcorn turns out better if you do the ***!)

Aarti Paarti Ep. 4: Curried Popcorn! - YouTube

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I hope this doesn't come across snobby! I only mean it as my own experience. I've never owned a microwave so any kind of microwaved food is not an option for me. I've always cooked from scratch and never used things like condensed soup, etc., in my cooking. So, if I eat any of these convenience foods now, I get sick because I'm not used to all the chemicals, additives, preservatives, artificial stuff, etc., used in them. My exposure to those "ingredients" is very limited.

So, when it comes to popcorn, I make mine on the stove. I love making flavored popcorns like apple pie, pumpkin pie, curry flavored, grilled steak, etc., I've tried microwave popcorn before and don't care for the flavor.

I first started making flavored popcorns a few years ago after watching the video below. It's Aarti from the FoodNetwork's Aarti Party show. Before that, she was just a fun, silly, sweet girl on YouTube making videos called Aarti Paarti. All that stopped when she won The Next Food Network Star or some show like that. (I don't have a TV either.) When she won, I'm sure the network stopped her from continuing her online videos. That's sad because her early viewers on YouTube were like a little family.
I used to *only* eat microwave popcorn until I learned -- on this very forum! -- how easy it was to make it on the stove top. I really had no idea that all I needed was my dutch oven, some unpopped corn, and some oil (I use coconut oil). Oh my gosh... what a difference!

Now I might even begin experimenting with flavored popcorn, now that you've put the idea in my head. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Being the eldest, I inherited the treasured old black sheet iron popcorn popper that we grew up with. No flat bottom on that baby, no sir, but rather a slightly dished bottom that pools the melted fat or oil and popcorn kernals in the center. And the stirrer, shaped to fit that bottom curve, hinged to a crank with a wooden bead on the top end, held captive by the flat lid, pierced by quarter inch holes to let the steam out, along with letting out the hot spatters you could never quite avoid while turning that crank. And the lid itself, hooked under the end opposite the handle, and then secured by a sliding latch on the handle.
I'm trying to visualize the popper you described. I don't think I've ever seen one like it and if I have, I didn't pay much attention. I'm intrigued now and will keep an eye out when I'm perusing the antique stores.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm trying to visualize the popper you described. I don't think I've ever seen one like it and if I have, I didn't pay much attention. I'm intrigued now and will keep an eye out when I'm perusing the antique stores.
I think its an E-Z corn popper. My grandparents had one. Don't know what happend to it. It did make some damn fine popcorn though.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I think its an E-Z corn popper. My grandparents had one. Don't know what happend to it. It did make some damn fine popcorn though.
Is this what you and OpenD are referring to? If so, I can see how it would make good popcorn. Moving the kernels around with the crank with good ventilation. Pretty nifty.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Is this what you and OpenD are referring to? If so, I can see how it would make good popcorn. Moving the kernels around with the crank with good ventilation. Pretty nifty.
Yup, that's the one I remember. Except not as pretty looking.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yup, that's the one I remember. Except not as pretty looking.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
(The popcorn turns out better if you do the ***!)
Why the ***'s? Is *** a naughty word? j. i. g. It's a little dance! LOL

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM

I used to have a Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper. It was handy and made great popcorn. The cat would sit and watch it until it was done and would beg for the popcorn. He LOVES it! Now, I just make it on the stove and shake the pan.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink