Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times

Advertisements

Funny how this old thread "popped" back up.. lol. Just want to say that I'm still enjoying my Presto microwave popcorn maker that I described here two years ago. It still looks new and works great after hundreds of uses. No complaints. Excellent popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Is this what you and OpenD are referring to? If so, I can see how it would make good popcorn. Moving the kernels around with the crank with good ventilation. Pretty nifty.
That's great, and it's very similar, except mine has an iron handle, so it's good to have a couple of hot pads on hand... one to hold the pot, and the other to slide the catch that holds the lid on.

I appreciate you taking the time to look that up.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's great, and it's very similar, except mine has an iron handle, so it's good to have a couple of hot pads on hand... one to hold the pot, and the other to slide the catch that holds the lid on.

I appreciate you taking the time to look that up.
So it's more like this vintage model? I love this old stuff. Things were made much better in the "old days."

Vintage Popcorn Popper Mazola Karo Corn by CalicoCatQuilting

Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
So it's more like this vintage model? I love this old stuff. Things were made much better in the "old days."

Vintage Popcorn Popper Mazola Karo Corn by CalicoCatQuilting
Wow.. looks like that's right out of the cast iron stove days! You are right though, things were made to last forever in back then.. metal and hardwood!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Wow.. looks like that's right out of the cast iron stove days! You are right though, things were made to last forever in back then.. metal and hardwood!
Not only made better but made in the USA.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,124 times
I never use microwave popcorn since it isn't any where near as good as the kettle popcorn that I can make. I hate to brag but I make the best popcorn anyone will ever taste. Reason is when i was young my family always made me make the popcorn. I was the youngest so took a fair share of crap.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am a popcorn addict! I love popcorn. I like making it in a deep, old, battered pan on the stove, a bit of oil in the bottom...none of that microwave stuff.

Nothing like making fresh caramel corn, and eating it during the holidays, when everyone is sitting around visiting.

We loved decorating the tree with strings of popcorn and cranberries...

I used to make popcorn balls, with juju fruits and gumdrops....Yum...

Hope you have a Happy Holiday...and make some popcorn! Really, it is not New Year's Eve, without a big bowl of popcorn...
I remember doing this as a kid, I loved it, maybe I'll have my kids try it.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
HereOnMars, I have a somewhat newer version of that, but I've had mine about 15 years. But the crank to stir the popcorn is in the end of the handle. According to the directions all it takes is 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 cup popcorn. It's a 6 qt popper and this will fill it up full! My boys bought me this one, like I said, about 15 years or so ago, and it's still working fine! I don't stick to the half cup of popcorn, but I sure make sure I microwave some real butter and pour over it! Mighty fine!!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Funny how this old thread "popped" back up.. lol. Just want to say that I'm still enjoying my Presto microwave popcorn maker that I described here two years ago. It still looks new and works great after hundreds of uses. No complaints. Excellent popcorn.
Argggg. LOL

I tossed mine in the trash after one month and unknown number of attempts to get it to work.

Went back to making my own in a lunch sack in the micro. Lots cheaper as well.

I think it costs me like 5 cents to pop a 1/3 cup of kernels. Makes a good size bowl.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
HereOnMars, I have a somewhat newer version of that, but I've had mine about 15 years. But the crank to stir the popcorn is in the end of the handle. According to the directions all it takes is 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 cup popcorn. It's a 6 qt popper and this will fill it up full! My boys bought me this one, like I said, about 15 years or so ago, and it's still working fine! I don't stick to the half cup of popcorn, but I sure make sure I microwave some real butter and pour over it! Mighty fine!!
I noticed there are a lot of different models that have evolved over the years. Hopefully you'll get another 15 or 20 years use out of it. Oh yes! Must have real butter too

I'm a huge fan of vintage appliances. Preferably ones without motors since they give out after a while. Example: I love my vintage French fry cutter. When I was a kid, we had one at home that cut French fries faster than ever. My brother ended up with it so I scoured vintage stores until I found one. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink