Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
So it's more like this vintage model? I love this old stuff. Things were made much better in the "old days."
Yep, that's it, complete with the black wood knob on the crank, except that mine does not have the Mazola Karo brand on it. That was probably done as part of some kind of promotional deal. To make kettle corn, maybe? We never did that, but I'm sure it would work, with the constant stirring. Thanks for digging that up. I had the feeling it was pre-war. Dad might have gotten it from his parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
HereOnMars, I have a somewhat newer version of that, but I've had mine about 15 years. But the crank to stir the popcorn is in the end of the handle.
That sounds like the Whirley-Pop that Williams-Sonoma carries. It's somebody's idea of an upgrade on mine, I think.
It's bigger, so you can pop more at one go... about twice as much I think.
It's aluminum, so it's lighter weight, and it doesn't rust. When I got mine, I had a lot of rust to deal with to get it working again.
It has a half-lid to open to pour the popped corn out, so you don't have to juggle a hot lid.
It has the crank at the end of the handle with a transmission shaft and gear so you don't get hot spatters from the grease or oil.
All that being said... I looked at the Whirley-Pop at W-S, but I like mine better. But that was where I found the White Cat popcorn last time.

Whirley Pop | Williams-Sonoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Argggg. LOL

I tossed mine in the trash after one month and unknown number of attempts to get it to work.

Went back to making my own in a lunch sack in the micro. Lots cheaper as well.

I think it costs me like 5 cents to pop a 1/3 cup of kernels. Makes a good size bowl.
I remember, Bulldogdad. You really liked it at first, but said the concentrator quickly burned out. Maybe your microwave is too powerful for this thing. I used to have an 800 watt, now I have a 1000 watt, and my concentrators still last. They do discolor quickly, but that doesn't affect the popping.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
The Nordicware bowl is still my fave for popping regular old popcorn in the microwave. Which I do if I'm not up for the cleanup of an oily pan on the stovetop. But stovetop is best.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
To make kettle corn, maybe?
Uh oh! I have a craving for kettle corn now!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,652 times
I just made the curried popcorn I posted about earlier! (And I did the j.i.g.!)

Old 02-12-2024, 03:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Default Popcorn

Let's talk popcorn please!
SO has discovered popcorn as afternoon snack. Great! Beats chips! It is not so much my thing though. I bought several microwaveable ones and am not thrilled. Too dry, butter dripping, ... .
Does anyone use a popper be it microwave or plug in? What are your experiences with the equipment? What kind of corn kernels do you buy? I am trying to avoid drenching things in butter as much as I love to lick my fingers.
Thank you.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:15 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Did you try Orville Redenbacher's Naturals "Simply Salted"? No butter, you add your own (or not) when it's done.

Best corn popper we ever had was a hot air one. It got "mislaid" at from Mrs. NBP's office years ago.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 02-12-2024, 05:39 PM

19,396 posts, read 15,224,747 times
I like Orville's, too. I just put a little oil in a medium-sized pot and pop it in that. Almost all of the kernels pop. I mostly just use salted butter. Sometimes I add a little fresh lemon juice to the butter, and just recently I discovered vinegar powders, so sometimes I'll sprinkle a little of a malt vinegar one on it. I've heard of people using ranch dressing powder.

As far as prepopped, I like Boom Chicka Pop in the "Real Butter" flavor (light blue bag).

Old 02-12-2024, 06:40 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I know more about popcorn than anyone on the forum. That is not a brag, I'm far too old for that BS, it is a fact.

Too dry? Butter dripping? Those are contradictory.

What is it you want to know?

Old 02-12-2024, 06:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
I went through a popcorn phase last year and bought this Opopop thingy. I'm not a fan of the sweet flavors and tend to like the spicy ones. I do like that that i can pop just a small amount since the pre-portioned bags are more than I want. I still use it, just not as much right now.

https://opopop.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink