Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 08:42 AM

1,923 posts, read 903,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Let's talk popcorn please!
I still love Jiffy Pop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:44 AM

1,923 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For nostalgia's sake I would love to find the classic Jiffy Pop in the aluminum pie plate with foil. I loathe Walmart where I have seen it advertised, anywhere else?

Amazon!

Old 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
I used to use an air popper, loved it until I started eating low carb and gave it away.
It just makes plain popcorn, then you can add whatever you like.

I recently wanted popcorn, googled around, and discovered you can put it in a paper lunch bag and pop in the microwave. Works fine! Some recipes have you add oil and salt before cooking, others just recommend popcorn alone.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:23 AM

116 posts, read 36,596 times
My preference is extremely spicy popcorn. I absolutely can't do popcorn that is sweet.

The kids love buttered popcorn.

I used to purchase microwavable popcorn from grocery stores, however, I now purchase gourmet popcorn from online such as Etsy, etc.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:25 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I had a couple exchange students from Germany one year who put sugar instead of salt on their popcorn. Apparently that's how it's always been made there.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:17 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For nostalgia's sake I would love to find the classic Jiffy Pop in the aluminum pie plate with foil. I loathe Walmart where I have seen it advertised, anywhere else?
I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

Imagine the fun you could have with a couple of small kids in the kitchen if you could get your hands on a couple of those.

We used to use a heavy cast iron pan to pop corn and it really is tastiest. But one year the kids gave me an air popper and I've used that ever since. It's fast. Almost faster than I can salt and butter each batch as it comes out.

After I got familiar with its quirks I was able to achieve nearly complete kernel pop with Orville Redenbacher's.

We like butter on our popcorn. If you don't want it something else that tastes good is a sprinkling of Kraft Parmesan and a dash of garlic salt.

I don't drink soft drinks anymore but my mother used to say that there's only one beverage to serve with popcorn and that's cola. Now and then I just have to have one.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:20 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I had a couple exchange students from Germany one year who put sugar instead of salt on their popcorn. Apparently that's how it's always been made there.
We have a woman in town who pops her corn with sugar and salt and it comes out so very tasty. She used to sell it at local festivals and the demand was so great that she started her own business.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:19 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
The air popper is the best way to go. I buy popcorn out of the bulk bins. The extra large fancy name brand popcorn that costs lots of extra money has a really tough hull, so I don't enjoy that one and don't use it. The smaller normal size popcorn is more tender and tastes just as good.

I've grown my own popcorn and that is fun, but I can't tell any difference in the flavor and it is a pain to get the kernels off the cob, so I only grew my own for one season.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:04 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
The sugar variety is commonly called kettle corn. It is fairly easy to make, but we rarely made it in theatres because of the mess and greater possibility of a worker mis-timing the adding of the sugar. On that scale, it could be a liability.

Don't worry too much about the unpopped kernels. If you have a LOT of them, try using a mason jar to store some of your seed and add just a few drops of water before putting on the lid and letting it sit a week. If you add too much water, the seed will break the pericarp and begin to sprout. Adding just a tiny amount adds to the moisture content inside the seed, making more steam possible and a greater chance of popping.

Perhaps the "best" popping oil would be clarified (anhydrous) butterfat. The popping would automatically be buttering the corn. Just about any oil that withstands heat well can be used in french frying popcorn. I personally would NOT use canola, olive oil, grapeseed oil or flax oil. Air pop is fine for those who like it. Microwave in small batches can be close to ideal, as the heat comes from heating the water in the kernels. When microwaves first became popular, one concession supplier I had was moaning that people could now make popcorn at home that was better than theatre popcorn. He may have been exaggerating a little, but not excessively so.

FWIW, in making the popcorn on a commercial scale, the first two or three batches have many more unpopped kernels. Quickly bringing the seed from room temperature up to the point where steam is generated makes for the biggest "pop-out" with huge fluffy areas. Low temperatures or slow = small pop-out, leaking of some steam before the pop. The steel in the popper has to get to a temperature where if it were not for the constant cooling of it by the steam from the corn popping, it would burn the oil. Dumping a batch and adding the next has to happen within a very narrow window of time for the corn to be perfect.

The extreme of this idea are the pressure vessels used to "pop" rice and other grains for cereal. The grain is superheated under pressure, then the pressure is suddenly released, causing the water in it to burst into steam. The pericarp of the corn kernel acts as the pressure vessel that allows popping corn without specialized equipment.

The artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn was the issue with it in industrial settings. It is not good to breathe it in constantly. Around the home, there are other chemicals that are likely far worse. It is a puzzle to me why the spray cleaning products do not have warnings to spray and then leave the areas until the aerosol has dissipated or fallen out of the air.

I will re-iterate one point as warning. When canola oil was first introduced into theatres for popping corn, concession employees had significantly more face break-outs, and any oil that became even slightly rancid made a dead fish smell in the lobbies. UNsaturated means an oil can go rancid and often has a low temperature where it starts to break down. Health effects of oils is a whole different topic where there has been a lot of false information promoted for various reasons. For french fried popcorn to have a rich taste, you'll probably need saturated fat. In those small amounts, it won't kill you. I've eaten tons of popcorn over the years.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:38 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I asked for homework and got it! thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink