Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 05:39 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,007,594 times

Advertisements

Wow, Chickpea is the popcorn pro! I thought I was a popcorn connoisseur but he has me beat by far.

Forgot to mention that in addition to salt and herb mix, I sometimes sprinkle on some nutritional yeast. Adds an interesting flavor and extra nutrients.

Someone mentioned putting sugar on popcorn in Germany. I traveled there as a kid and was taken to a movie theater and they did indeed serve it sweet with sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:14 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Wow, Chickpea is the popcorn pro! I thought I was a popcorn connoisseur but he has me beat by far.

Forgot to mention that in addition to salt and herb mix, I sometimes sprinkle on some nutritional yeast. Adds an interesting flavor and extra nutrients.

Someone mentioned putting sugar on popcorn in Germany. I traveled there as a kid and was taken to a movie theater and they did indeed serve it sweet with sugar.
Actually, I am a pro. Somewhere around I have my "diploma" from "Popcorn U." (Which amounted to a couple hour course, and was more a giggle). Back in the day, when you managed a theatre, your year-end bonus was directly tied to concession sales and profits. I literally got paid to make good popcorn, which is the definition of a professional. I know theatre popcorn - to the point that my instructions were in the employee manuals for a couple of circuits.

That I am a pro isn't a big deal though. There are people who know a lot more about popcorn than I do. The farmer in Hollywood AL who grew "Word" popcorn knew it from the ground up and had staggering knowledge. Flavorings are an area where many of you have played around and know much more than I do.

Learn by trying things and making mistakes. Then you automatically know - "We don't do this because THAT will happen." That goes right along with --- "I tried this on a whim, and WOW! It turned out great!" That can be much more fun than being a pro.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:16 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I buy it already popped. I like the Indiana Corn brand kettle corn. Haven't had Microwave or air popped popcorn in 30 years.
I also like the Smart food white cheddar brand. I miss Movie theater Popcorn with the fake butter you used to put on. I would ask for extra.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:12 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
When I make popcorn at home, I get a two quart stainless steel pot, add a quarter or third cup of popcorn seed, put it on a burner on the stove until it is very hot, only then add enough corn oil and a teaspoon of salt to barely cover the seed, swirl, and put a lid on it, cocked at an angle to allow steam to escape.

I ONLY try to shift the pot around when the seed is about done. No fast twirling motions of the pot -nothing!

When no seed has popped after a count of ten, I dump it into a serving bowl.

I know exactly the proportions of corn to oil to create the maximum pop-out ratio according to the NAC. That doesn't matter. I did experiments after that, using ungodly amounts of popcorn.

Corn seed (popped) is fairly healthy. Corn OIL comes from corn. Salt is a flavor enhancer. As long as the corn oil is not rancid, it is reasonably healthy. The center for whining in the public interest made it a witch that they said needed burning. Wrong, wrong, and seriously wrong.
I make popcorn almost the same way as Harry. Once you make it this way, you can't go back to microwave or really any other kind of popcorn. The only differences in the way I make it are:
- I use peanut oil rather than corn oil (I prefer the taste).
- I put in about 3 kernels of corn in with the oil before beginning to heat it. Once at least one kernel has popped (you can hear it) I add the rest of the popcorn (so I know oil is hot enough).
- I don't add salt when cooking the corn (we try to minimize salt intake).

Sometimes I will melt some butter and toss it with the popped corn along with a little salt but in all honesty my favorite thing to toss with fresh popped popcorn is nutritional yeast.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:12 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I make popcorn almost the same way as Harry. Once you make it this way, you can't go back to microwave or really any other kind of popcorn. The only differences in the way I make it are:
- I put in about 3 kernels of corn in with the oil before beginning to heat it. Once at least one kernel has popped (you can hear it) I add the rest of the popcorn (so I know oil is hot enough).

Sometimes I will melt some butter and toss it with the popped corn along with a little salt but in all honesty my favorite thing to toss with fresh popped popcorn is nutritional yeast.
Peanut oil was the second major oil used by theatres for popping and topping. The hierarchy was cocoanut oil, peanut oil, then the ill-advised canola, then usually back to cocoanut or palm oil. Palm oil has problems. Peanut oil is good. I too like the flavor. I usually use corn oil because of some personal esoteric reasons (and it works fine).

The three kernel test is traditional. I am old enough to remember that as a test when a bedwarmer was used in a fireplace to pop corn over the fire. (Dang, I am showing my age.)

OK, further education here -

In theatres (those I was around), we heated the kettles WITHOUT oil and when they seemed somewhat hot, added the seed, and then, once we sensed the kettle was hot enough, only then did we add the oil on the first batch. Why? Safer. By adding the mass of the corn and THEN the oil, the oil couldn't get to a temperature to flash into flame, as the seed would cool it. As I mentioned, first batch was never optimal.

All of this was before contactless infrared thermometers, and everything that went into script had to pass the Mikey test and the attorney test.

Putting any significant amount of oil in first without a means of testing (the three kernel rule usually used just a little oil) is a way to bring the oil above the point where it changes, and possibly the flash point. The big kettles have lids that can withstand a fire with a minor flip of a lever. Homeowners who don't have a metal lid handy and are not wearing an oven glove are at a greater risk.

Salt or no salt. Both are fine. Salt is a flavor enhancer, as yeasts can be. Again, health effects of salt is a whole topic on its own. Being very very brief, salt in foods increase water retention, which can increase blood pressure. Use of something like HCTZ counteracts that. Balancing mineral intakes in diets is not something well known or appreciated in western diets, so limiting salt is a decent stop-gap for many.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:19 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,133,297 times
Sort of in topic, which kind of popcorn tastes the most like movie popcorn. Since covid I haven't gone to the theater and I really miss my movie popcorn fix (with butter of course).

Old 02-15-2024, 08:41 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
When we have popcorn, we use the Whirley Pop

https://www.whirleypopshop.com/

Best popcorn ever!
This is my favorite way to make it. I have gotten really good at making kettle corn in my whirley pop.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:53 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

That's how my older brother popped corn before The Twilight Zone came on when mom and dad were out for the evening. If that went well, there was enough time to melt a little butter. It wouldn't be much because mom had a pretty tight food budget.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:02 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's how my older brother popped corn before The Twilight Zone came on when mom and dad were out for the evening. If that went well, there was enough time to melt a little butter. It wouldn't be much because mom had a pretty tight food budget.
That's the other thing - cooking popcorn from the kernel rather than a microwaveable bag is way less expensive. Of course there are different ways to do that (air popper, etc.) but the differnce in price bears noting.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:38 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Stove top is always best. However, there are microwave popcorn containers that allows you to pop in the microwave without buying single serve bags. Even brown paper lunch bags can be used in the microwave to pop. Buy popcorn kernels (bag or jar), butter flavored popcorn oil, popcorn salt, and there are some popcorn flavor shakes (like cheddar for example) you can use to change the flavor. Downside is you have to experiment with amount, microwave time, and amount of oil and flavorings. But once you get it the way you want, it’s cheaper and healthier than single serve microwave bags.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Ki...orn+Maker/1457

We have used the one above with good results. The cup that fits in the lid acts as a measuring cup and buttery oil dispenser. Instructions offer different levels of oil and popping time. Downside is the clean up. Advantage is once used, it collapses to a small size making it easy to store away. Popcorn salt is a finer grain making it easier to salt without adding huge amounts. I don’t care for the flavor shakes but some people like adding the different flavors.

As for microwave bags, we prefer the ones linked below.
https://www.orville.com/buttery-popc...pcorn-mini-bag

We’ve tried the light microwave bags but they are so dry as to cause coughing. Movie theater butter bags are drenched in wet butter. For readymade popcorn we like Smartfood White Cheddar popcorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink