Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's definitely better than most of what they sell in grocery stores. OR's Light Movie Butter is my 2nd favorite after Pop Weaver's.

But I prefer *REAL* Pop Weaver's (or authentic concession popcorn). It can't be beat.

I used to work for Pop Weaver in Van Buren, IN. As with many contract companies, they produce a few "Brands" of their product. They produce and package a few of the 100 cal. packages. I have seen the products that I remember packaging on the shelves of Sam's Club for sure, I think Walmart carries them too.

Weaver does contribute quite a bit to the community and employs a lot of the residents of the town and the surrounding area.

They do use real butter in thier product, I know because I, and the the other workers on my shift, had to scrape it off of the glass doors after producing thousands of bags on my 12 hour shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Get it from Walmart all the time... I like it just as much as the leading brands...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Actually, you can pop it in the microwave in a lunch paper bag without using oil at all. It will do the exact same thing as an air popper but alllllllll the kernels will pop. Your microwave should be powerful enough though (none of those cheap ones)

You can also pop it on the stove with no oil at all. Put the popcorn in a pot...and move it around the stove non stop (otherwise the popcorn will burn)...when it starts to pop (about 4 minutes after), it will be very quick...hurry and dump it in a bol.

Now...salt and other stuff won't stick to it unless you add oil or butter. But wait, there is something else. I like to use the low calorie chicken wings HOT sauce...or other chilli stuff ... but make sure it is low in calorie (otherwise you might as well add butter) like 2-3 calories a table spoon.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I use this in the microwave, or I pop on the stove top in a plain lidded saucepan that I shake. Depends on my mood:

Nordicware 60120 12-Cup Microwave Corn Popper

But I've never liked bagged microwave popcorn, or their accompanying grease slicks.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,635,836 times
I recently decided no more microwave popcorn. Between reading about "popcorn lung" and realizing that the butter flavoring always tastes rancid and chemicall-y to me I switched us to old-fashioned stove top popping. It is really easy and you only need a little oil. When it is done we add garlic salt and it is really yummy. I can't believe how long I ate inferior microwave popcorn.

My kitchen is way too small to buy an appliance just for popcorn. I use my deepest heavy bottomed pan with a high rounded lid.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,676 times
I'll eat any kind available, but the best is stove-top. Good suggestion about the Wok, Arsbad, I'll try that!

I can't believe nobody has recommended my favorite. I like to either put Jalapeno Salt on my popcorn, if there are a bunch of whimps around, but if nobody objects, I put Habenero Powder on it, and salt to taste. really hot, but sooooo delicious. (I make my own Habenero Powder from peppers I grow myself. A topic for another thread, and in fact I started one many months ago...)

EDIT> Here is the pepper thread, so that we don't discuss it in the popcorn thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...t-peppers.html

Last edited by Bmateo; 01-29-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I make mine in the microwave in a paper bag with a little oil. DO NOT LEAVE it alone or you may have a fire.

Google how to make it properly.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I have been looking for a hot air or a microwave popcorn popper. I have been reading lots of bad things about microwaveable bagged popcorn so I would like to switch.

The last hot air popcorn popper I purchased was more an exercise in rounding up the errant popped corn rather than eating the actual popcorn

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer a hot air or microwave one. Here is what I found:

Presto PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper Review

Amazon.com: Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper: Kitchen & Dining
There is only one way to make good popcorn and that is on the stove in a POT! I buy microwave popcorn and tear it open and dump it into a pot on the stove. It's great because it is all pre-measured out to the correct amount. All you have to do is turn on the fire and keep the pot moving until the popping stops. It's not rocket science.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,534 times
Avaliable at Conroe Texas Walmart

Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,391,096 times
Default You guys like popcorn?

Here's a neat microwave popper that I've been using since September:

Presto PowerPop

Yes, lots of folks simply put kernels into a little paper bag and nuke it, but I can truly say that the PowerPop is a better way to go. It has a 'concentrator' inside the bowl which focuses microwave energy. This isn't a gimmick. The popcorn always turns out great -- light and fluffy with no scorching and very few unpopped kernels. It's better and easier than air-popped. I picked one up for $15 at Walmart.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: please, no copyright pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink