Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

I've used the NordicWare bowl, but it does crack over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
Funny thing about Nordic Ware's Gemstone plastic. It looks heavy-duty and almost bullet proof, but after some microwave use, it starts cracking up. This happened not only to my popcorn maker, but also to my plates and bacon rack.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,680 times
I personally don't like microwave popcorn. I have a whirlypop and love it! I make popcorn at least 2-3 times a week.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 AM

664 posts, read 773,586 times
Only way to make good popcorn is the movie theater way. Absolutely need a popcorn kettle.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Only way to make good popcorn is the movie theater way. Absolutely need a popcorn kettle.
Disagree. I suppose you NEED coconut oil too? That stuff sticks to your mouth and coats it in a nasty saturated fat layer. I make mine in a stir crazy with canola or soybean oil and it is much better and somewhat lighter than movie theater style.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Disagree. I suppose you NEED coconut oil too? That stuff sticks to your mouth and coats it in a nasty saturated fat layer. I make mine in a stir crazy with canola or soybean oil and it is much better and somewhat lighter than movie theater style.

I am not going to use either soybean or canola oil. I would rather use an oil that imparts some flavor - peanut, olive, etc.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Hot air is good if you are tying to make a healthier popcorn. If your popper requires oil, well then you have oil on your popcorn. Of course, popcorn popped on oil tastes so much better, so it depends on what you are looking for: healthy popcorn or yummy popcorn.

I have used this air popper since college. I really like it, and fly-aways usually aren't an issue. It has lasted me for almost 10 years now.
i like the hot air method best, too. i used to be able to get a special popcorn salt that was so fine it would even stick to unbuttered air-popped corn, but i finally ran out of it and can't find any more. i have a presto hot-air popper that's so old, it was actually made in the USA - still works fine. and chasing the popcorn around isn't a problem, just use a really big bowl.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Hey Bulldogdad, it sounds like you've got that whole brown bag thang dialed in! Maybe the Powerpop isn't for you, but it's worth a try and it can always be returned. It generally gets good reviews on Amazon, but some folks complain that the concentrator inserts don't last very long. I've found that I can get over 20 uses per concentrator if no butter, oil or salt is put in the bowl. Just use the PowerPop as a microwave air-popper, then pour the popcorn into a separate bowl if you want to add butter and whatnot. In other words, keep the concentrator dry and clean.
Ok Fatty McButter Pants I was in Walmart yesterday and guess what. I found your Presto Popper. YES DAMN IT I bought one. I was able to get one that was a Christmas return and they had it marked down to 5 bucks.

I made popcorn last night for Friday Family movie night. Despicable Me was the movie. Damn it if that popcorn was outstanding. I was really amazed at how few kernels were left unpopped. My teenage kids made like five bowls. They tried with and without olive oil. I think we'll not use oil as it does burn the concentrator insert fairly quickly. We'll stick to putting melted butter after its popped and in another bowl. It makes about the same volume as my bag method with out the wasted bag. I'm still not sold on the whole disposable concentrator insert and having to wash the thing. Time will tell if it comes out more expensive than using lunch bags. BUT for five bucks I though it was a good buy.

I am rating this product Four Stars out of Five. It would get a Five Star rating if I did not have to use replaceable concentrators.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
Glad you like it so far, Bulldogdad. My previous concentrator lasted through 25 poppings, and was still performing fairly well at the end.

Cleaning is no big deal if you don't use oil. After popping, "dust" out the bowl with a soft brush, then wipe it down with a damp paper towel. Works great. I do a soap and water washing only when the concentrator need to be replaced.

You know, I've never popped without a concentrator inserted, but the PowerPop may work almost as well without one. You might want to give it a try.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
When I'm nuking popcorn, I use whatever brand is cheapest at the supermarket (usually like, buy one get two free at Big Y), as long as it is unflavored "lite" - which means, the only ingredients are popcorn, canola oil, and salt. And then I add my own melted real actual honest to goodness full fat dairy butter, nuked to liquid deliciousness.

When I'm not nuking, I also use whatever brand is cheapest, in a big old thick steel 4-quart stew pot. My favorite "oil" isn't oil at all; it's bacon grease from that morning's pancake breakfast. That way, I don't even need to add salt, and the popcorn comes out especially crunchy; almost brittle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink