Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM

177 posts, read 757,691 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is more of a relationships question or a food and drink question, but what would you do if you hated a friend's cooking?

My wife and I are really good friends with a couple. This couple doesn't have much money, so they prefer to cook rather than go out to eat. But honestly, they can't cook! The food tends to be really, really bad. I mean, rock-hard spaghetti bad!

What would you do in this situation? Take over and offer to cook more ourselves? Eat dinner before we spend time with them? Eat their yucky food and just deal with it?

I know this is a silly question. And I'm sure I'm going to get lots of those "be grateful they're cooking for you and shut up" responses, but really, you haven't had to eat it! So, what would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM

172 posts, read 535,791 times
LOL

Offer to have them over at your house and your and wife cook for them

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
What Emma77 said.

Our best friends back home (another couple) could not cook very well at all. We'd eat over there and they'd cook every once in awhile, but 9 times out of 10 if we weren't going out to eat with them we were doing the cooking!! So invite them over and have them bring non-cooked foods like salad, rolls, garlic bread, etc.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM

I'm glad you feel my pain, HighlandsGal!

Trouble is, a lot of the times they say "we'll come to your house and cook for you." They like to go to our place because it's more spacious. How would you deal with that?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
I'm glad you feel my pain, HighlandsGal!

Trouble is, a lot of the times they say "we'll come to your house and cook for you." They like to go to our place because it's more spacious. How would you deal with that?
"My kitchen is off limits to other cooks." I learned that from my grandmother. Her kitchen, her domain. Except at washing up time.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Like I said earlier, have them over, but you do the main cooking. They can bring sides like salad, potato salad, cole slaw, bread, dessert, wine, etc.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Why not do a potluck where you provide the main dish and they do a salad or dessert? When I was younger my parents were part of a cooking club where they learned new dishes and met new people. Maybe find something like that and tell your friends you are signing up for the club. Maybe they would sign up with you.

Also, do they know they are terrible in the kitchen?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
Not sure if this is more of a relationships question or a food and drink question, but what would you do if you hated a friend's cooking?

My wife and I are really good friends with a couple. This couple doesn't have much money, so they prefer to cook rather than go out to eat. But honestly, they can't cook! The food tends to be really, really bad. I mean, rock-hard spaghetti bad!

What would you do in this situation? Take over and offer to cook more ourselves? Eat dinner before we spend time with them? Eat their yucky food and just deal with it?

I know this is a silly question. And I'm sure I'm going to get lots of those "be grateful they're cooking for you and shut up" responses, but really, you haven't had to eat it! So, what would you do in this situation?

I sooo know what you are talking about!! I remember over 20 years ago my boss (of all people!) and his girlfriend would have us over for dinner, and oh my gosh, she was the worst cook ever!! It was funny, because to see them at work, they both drove nice cars, dressed really nice, and seemed very put together - - - But you went to their house, and it was a complete disaster!! I had half eaten many gross things at their house, until one night, they BBQ'd rotten steak!! You could smell it!! After that, I either had dinner at my house, or made sure I brought a dish, no matter what they said!

Hang in there, and start becoming the "helpful" dinner guest - bring a dish, or note that she is so busy, and insist on helping her!! I don't seem to have that problem with anyone anymore, but our age probably has something to do with it - By the time you're my age, you damn well should know how to cook SOMETHING right!!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Buy a new cookbook and gush over how much you and/or your wife love it and are dying to try the new techniques so you need guinea pigs.

Or tell them that you appreciate their friendship and how often they have cooked for you so you want to give them a break to relax and enjoy the evening without having to slave over the hot stove.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Also, do they know they are terrible in the kitchen?
I don't know for sure! She will criticize HIS cooking to no end and call him out for everything he does wrong (it's kind of sad, actually), but I don't think she realizes that she isn't much better.

Looks like we're just gonna have to step it up and start making things ourselves more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink